BMW LED Foglights

SplintUK

Reaction score
I decided to get some fog / additional / auxiliary / running lights for my 08 r1200gs and thought I would share some quick snaps as try are the new LED ones.

5d607217-740a-35b2.jpg

5d607217-7423-d0ce.jpg

5d607217-7442-fdb8.jpg

5d607217-7463-e4bd.jpg

I didn't fancy playing around with the wiring to fit myself {slightly scared of canbus} so the special offer of £415 fitted from my local Motorrad (Vines Guildford) seemed just about cheap enough to justify having BMW do it for me.

I didn't fancy playing around with the wiring to fit myself {slightly scared of canbus} so the special offer of £415 fitted from my local Motorrad (Vines Guildford) seemed just about cheap enough to justify having BMW do it for me.

I can only assume that's a joke?!!!!

I'd have done it for £399.99

:augie

I reckon I got £15 worth of coffee and biscuits out of 'em while I waited ;-)

I know it seems pricey, but at the same time, a full kit with lights, brackets, switch relay etc would cost about £300 + for after market kit, or £388.60 for the BMW LED kit, so I only paid £26.40 for fitting. And this way I get them fitted by a place that has to align them for MOT, rather than me guessing, and a 2 year guarantee, and the risk of me screwing things up altogether is totally removed.

Now whether the £388.60 for the BMW LED lights is good value or not is another question, but I took a flyer on them, and I guess I can post after christmas as to how they work in the dark. They seemed pretty good in the daylight though, even Range Rovers and Mercs were pulling left for me on the motorway, and that is a change from the norm. Might have been christmas spirit though ;-)

As long as you're happy with them, that's all that matters:beerjug:

if you payed the dealer to fit them so they could alingn them for the mot then you wasted your money they are not part of the mot

I decided to get some fog / additional / auxiliary / running lights for my 08 r1200gs and thought I would share some quick snaps as try are the new LED ones.

5d607217-740a-35b2.jpg

5d607217-7423-d0ce.jpg

5d607217-7442-fdb8.jpg

5d607217-7463-e4bd.jpg

If its not too much of a pain could you show us how bright they are in the dark, and highlight whether there is any usable light directed at the road or are they purely markers to aid visibility,please....

TYIA..

Mark

I reckon I got £15 worth of coffee and biscuits out of 'em while I waited ;-)

I know it seems pricey, but at the same time, a full kit with lights, brackets, switch relay etc would cost about £300 + for after market kit, or £388.60 for the BMW LED kit, so I only paid £26.40 for fitting. And this way I get them fitted by a place that has to align them for MOT, rather than me guessing, and a 2 year guarantee, and the risk of me screwing things up altogether is totally removed.

Now whether the £388.60 for the BMW LED lights is good value or not is another question, but I took a flyer on them, and I guess I can post after christmas as to how they work in the dark. They seemed pretty good in the daylight though, even Range Rovers and Mercs were pulling left for me on the motorway, and that is a change from the norm. Might have been christmas spirit though ;-)

I knows what ye mean matey. I'm all for plundering the car showroom when I gets me servicing done (when I remember)... and if ye can afford it, good luck to ya.

:pirate

BMW fogs

There have been a muner of threads on the new LED fogs by BMW and some rather scathing comments on the price

I too had Vines fit mine and like the thread starter am more than happy with them. I looked at some alternatives but decidedthat the BM ones were for me.

They work well in the day light, give a good wide spread of light at night and matched with a 6000 HID moved loads of traffic outa the way the other day in shire rainy conditions on the M25, so in my opinion, worth the money.

Can i suggest, that if you want to suggest alternatives, fine, we all like to see what is out there. If you want to comment on price and generally be rude:censor: off!!

I'll shut up amd go away now!!

I'll try to add some "at night" dark shots when I get it out once all my relatives have gone home after Christmas.

In terms of value, do I think a few LEDs, a couple of lenses, some wire, a switch, a relay, and some plastic mounts are worth £415, I have to say no, they're not. But unfortunately no-one is offering this product end to end for about £50 so it's a matter of where do you stop once you've decided to buy something which you know isn't going to be great value when you break it down to what it really is.

However with the price differential between £415 and £300+ fitting for after market versions is such that I'm more comfortable to pay the £415, get the guarantee and know I'm not going to do something numpty to my bike's electronics. Sometimes having an easy life has value in itself, and I'm happy that £115 fitted into my "easy life" value of this particular job.

If you know more about what you're doing with automotive electronics then it no doubt doesn't make sense for you.

More mundane mods like fitting engine bars, a givi rack, changing brake pads, and adding winglets I did myself because I know what I'm doing with a drill, a torque wrench, copper grease and some loctite.

If that makes me an idiot in your eyes, well I'm a big boy and I can take it, I doubt I will loose sleep or have a mental breakdown. Like us all, in many things I am an idiot, in others I am an expert. Lucky for me that the thing I am an idiot in is only costing me about £100 in a single one off occurrence, and I save that every time I change my own brake pads rather than using BMW. I'm comfortable with that ;-)

Seems a bit pricey?
Seems?
A bit?

I wish I could afford to waste £400 on bling and have only a tiny, niggling doubt as to whether it was worth it.
More money then sense. :blast

Seems a bit pricey?
Seems?
A bit?

I wish I could afford to waste £400 on bling and have only a tiny, niggling doubt as to whether it was worth it.
More money then sense. :blast

No I don't. I want the lights, I know of the benefit in having them especially on the roads I use. It ain't bling, its about seeing and being seen by some of the idiots who drive on the roads I use.

I also know that the cost of ANY fog lights is a lot more than the cost of the parts, which is effectively 2 decent torches, a switch, relay and some wire. I'm coming to terms with that.

The difference is cost between after market and what I paid is about £100. I am happy that for £100 I have value in terms of expert fitting, and guarantee.

I posted to try and be helpful to other people who may be considering these lights, to give some helpful opinion, and some photos. If that leaves me open to being called an idiot, or it being alleged that I have more money than sense, then so be it. It seems to me that the community would be better served by giving some alternative examples that the wiser amongst us know about for the benefit rest of us, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I'll still post when I have something I think is of benefit to the community.

No I don't. I want the lights, I know of the benefit in having them especially on the roads I use. It ain't bling, its about seeing and being seen by some of the idiots who drive on the roads I use.

I also know that the cost of ANY fog lights is a lot more than the cost of the parts, which is effectively 2 decent torches, a switch, relay and some wire. I'm coming to terms with that.

The difference is cost between after market and what I paid is about £100. I am happy that for £100 I have value in terms of expert fitting, and guarantee.

I posted to try and be helpful to other people who may be considering these lights, to give some helpful opinion, and some photos. If that leaves me open to being called an idiot, or it being alleged that I have more money than sense, then so be it. It seems to me that the community would be better served by giving some alternative examples that the wiser amongst us know about for the benefit rest of us, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I'll still post when I have something I think is of benefit to the community.

See, give it a little thought and you can find a cheaper alternative.

Lol. You're on to something.

Actually,while we're on, let's stick a headtorch on the helmet, and maybe use some of those neon coloured bicycle trouser clips too.

See, give it a little thought and you can find a cheaper alternative.

SplintUK...dont take any notice of these cheapskate, no good, scum bags, all they do is spend their money on...wait a minute, they don’t have any money...so spend it on what you want, how you want....they just jealous you have money to spend....lol

What's cheap to some people, is expensive to others and vice versa. You could have said you paid £50 for the lights fitted and you'd get comments saying you've been ripped off, so as far as I'm concerned those comments are a waste of space.

HOWEVER, you say you bought them to see and be seen, and whilst you've covered the "Be seen" bit with the daylight photos, the "see" bit has not been addressed adequately!!! Cmon, what are they like in the dark!?? :D

so the special offer of £415 fitted from my local Motorrad (Vines Guildford) seemed just about cheap enough to justify having BMW do it for me.

HOW MUCH!!!!!

Wow, you could have done it yourself for well under £150 with lights from Fanum of this parish, no Canbus involved :)

I had to double take reading that ...... Four Hundred and Fifteen ......I was hoping it was priced in Lire or something.

As long as you are happy though ....what the hell, enjoy it mate :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom