Future Classics that are cheap to buy now?

you need to identify your intended buyer at present he is in his late teens maybe early twenties, there are things he cannot afford now but maybe in 30 years time he will have money to spend (you may have seen the type at classic bike shows) and being as todays youth dont do bikes i think this plan as no future

You could not be further from the mark. The market for old Brit iron will be limited because the guys who rode them are retiring from biking or popping their clogs. Stuff like CBX1000s and Z1 have already taken off and I think the bikes I have mentioned will be next. The intended buyer has just turned 50 , got rid of the mortgage and kids and these are the Bikes he cut his teeth on: That would be people like me then :D
I am not interested in BSA Rocket Gold Stars at the Bike shows or in my garage: I want to see Guzzi 850 Le Mans. R80 G/S, GS1000s, Zs, Katanas, RDs, Gpzs etc etc the value of which are going upwards.

hi lads have bought a 1980 gsx 750 et totally stock 20 k v good condition on clock and have had a chance to sell it at a profit ,but i intend to ride it when the weather gets a little better ,olso have a cb750 1977 in v good condition since owning these bikes there has been a noticable increase in value and interest ,i ride a gs 1200 most so it's nice to get on something different from time to time to apprectiate what i ride.

Moto Guzzi Quota 1100.
Cagiva Elefant 900ie.

Been keeping an eye out for the first one but nices ones uber rare and the 2nd one too.

I saw a really nice Elefant featured as a bike for sale in MCN in Sept', Lucky EXplorer colours, minter, was sooo tempted but I'd just bought the Guzzi V1200 . Then on Thursday last week I was chatting to a guy in Brum who had an XTZ750 and he said "come and look what I have in here too, bought it a couple of months ago, minter" ......it was the Elefant featured in MCN.:drool

1995/1997 >> N to early R reg Suxuki Bandits 600 or 1200
1200 is more desirable tho' :thumb2
s model even more so....

I don't think I'd buy any Bandit thinking it would one day be a classic bike.
The trouble is with 95% of Jap bikes is that its like saying you've bought a mint 1990 Toyota Starlett as an investment.

The Hinckley Triumph 900 Thunderbird :drool

I like your thinking... but they already seem pretty expensive...

Seems to me that R80/R100ST/RT etc bikes are quickly becoming classics although still some great bargains to be had

i reckon pikey dave has already cornered the Elefant market ;)

There's a big difference (IMO) between bikes that were under-rated in their day that have now been discovered to be much better than the opinion formers would have had us believe, whose prices are starting to firm-up as the reality dawns and genuine 'classics'.

Most things that attain 'classic' status were desirable in their heyday but even rarity won't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

VFR 750's were damned by faint praise for being a bit anodyne but people will discover that exactly that is what makes them desirable today: You can live with one, they're relatively cheap to buy and run, they'll cope with real-world riding.

The same might be said for BMW's /7 models, 80 and 100 RT's, certainly most of the early K-Series are cheap reliable and eminently usable.

The sheer volume of production numbers will prevent this sort of bike becoming a 'classic', no matter what owners say. The prices will settle somewhere around what their real value is and won't be inflated by 'classic' status for a long time (if ever).

i reckon pikey dave has already cornered the Elefant market ;)

070620111067.jpg

Now have spare frame and engine:thumb

What about Transalp? Got one of those in the garage a 99 with 2k on it..

Surprised no one has actually mentioned the G650Xcountry...

.... or the Moto/Challenge variants :thumb

Incredibly well made and probably, in reality, have the least faults or problems amidst the whole BMW range. They weren't made for long and were expensive when new. They are minimalistic and great fun ;)

Really nice ones (NOT BMW off road school) are holding their price and can only increase in value ... especially in view of the rising costs of motoring :nenau

Now hindsight is as exact science ...

:beerjug:

Attachments

• G650XC.jpg
    G650XC.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 468
Surprised no one has actually mentioned the G650Xcountry...

.... or the Moto/Challenge variants :thumb

Incredibly well made and probably, in reality, have the least faults or problems amidst the whole BMW range. They weren't made for long and were expensive when new. They are minimalistic and great fun ;)

Really nice ones (NOT BMW off road school) are holding their price and can only increase in value ... especially in view of the rising costs of motoring :nenau

Now hindsight is as exact science ...

:beer jug:

That may well be true, ask me in 10 yeas:thumb2

Not too cheap to buy because they're already a Classic and the best true adventure bike I've ever owned.

The KTM 640 ADV :bow

674370653_i2U4c-XL.jpg

P1020412-XL.jpg

Standard r100 twin shock BMW. They've been abused, neglected and broken on eBay for years. If you believe the "how many left" website there's only 32 of them left in the country. The earlier 90/6 is already going up in price so only a matter of time before the the r100 goes in the same direction. If ever a machine deserved to be a classic it's these bikes.

Not a kwak fan myself but ZRX1100 or the last of the ZRX12s :nenau

Was always a Honda man myself , RC30s and RC45s already too pricey but you can still get VF1000Rs at sensible money. NC30 ?

Standard r100 twin shock BMW. They've been abused, neglected and broken on eBay for years. If you believe the "how many left" website there's only 32 of them left in the country. The earlier 90/6 is already going up in price so only a matter of time before the the r100 goes in the same direction. If ever a machine deserved to be a classic it's these bikes.

Do you reckon Monos will gain "classic" status?

There's an R100RS mono in the garage as well. On the verge of selling...

Back
Top Bottom