Future Classics that are cheap to buy now?

i'm not sure parts for "classics" cost more than for undesirables. new stuff anyway :nenau

Good point , well made.

So we need something inexpensive, different, probably not popular in its time, but sold well enough to have reasonable spares supply, that is also interesting enough that others will admire but not so much that they will covet it.;)

Best look at MZ then, that's where all the early Jap 2 stroke technology came from :thumb

Seriously well made from proper alloys (think early BMW) with reasonable spares. EG a cast alloy tool carrier, none of your cheap plastic that crumbles at the first sight of UV

Best look at MZ then, that's where all the early Jap 2 stroke technology came from :thumb

Seriously well made from proper alloys (think early BMW) with reasonable spares. EG a cast alloy tool carrier, none of your cheap plastic that crumbles at the first sight of UV

Still got my 1979 MZ TS Supafive :thumb

As said, great build and superb little bikes. You'll never make a fortune out of one though, they'll never realise massive resale values :nenau

Mines in mint condition (stripped down in the attic) and might be worth £600 to £700 at best .... but it's not for sale at any price.

:beerjug:

Here's my dad on it back in 1991 when we were touring Germany :thumb

Attachments

• Dad in Germany 1991.jpg
    Dad in Germany 1991.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 375

As said, great build and superb little bikes. You'll never make a fortune out of one though, they'll never realise massive resale values :nenau

Mines in mint condition (stripped down in the attic) and might be worth £600 to £700 at best .... but it's not for sale at any price.

The prices will rise as soon as enough people think as you or I do re. MZ ;)

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for good ones. Another Trophy Sport would be nice

Who'd have guessed 5-10 years ago that small Jap 2 strokes would be fetching the money they are now? And not just the mint condition ones either :eek:

Tuono

May I humbly suggest....an Aprilia Tuono? Fantastic bikes with Italian style and plenty of go. The first generation might be best. Look for one with the Ohlins package.

Pick a model that was popular and owners liked to "improve" them and then find an unmolested bog standard example before they all disappear.

If we're talking air heads here I think the last of the breed, the R100R, must rate very highly. Sometimes wished I'd kept mine :thumb

There's also the Ariel Square Four 4G model, I bought for £25.00 in C1972. Rode it home and stripped it down to 'do up' .... moved police house to one with no garage and so sold it to a pal for the same £25.00 :blast

He still has it in the same cardboard boxes :)

At the same time I came across a Sunbeam S8 with a spare engine and drive line for a tenner. I'd just filled my place up with the Ariel, another pal was after an old Sunbeam and so I took it to him for the same tenner :loopy

Hindsight is an exact science ...

Hey Micky, thats not quite right, It's missing the two stroke bottle wedged between the clocks. Value is what somethging is worth to the owner :)

:beerjug::beerjug::beerjug

Hey Micky, thats not quite right, It's missing the two stroke bottle wedged between the clocks. Value is what somethging is worth to the owner :)

:beerjug::beerjug::beerjug

I never went with that Oldrat ... now don't laugh at this, but I kept an old shampoo bottle, of just the right size, in the side panel, removable by a knurled knob. I used to buy my two stroke oil in bulk (Gulf as it 'appens) :thumb

I could run the bike down to having to put the reserve tap on, and anywhere through the reserve range, dive in to a petrol station, turn the petrol off (important) dump all the oil in from the shampoo bottle and fill up with petrol to the neck ... ran as sweet as a nut for years :thumb

Still got that shampoo bottle stored with the bike ... still got some Gulf two stroke oil in the cellar :thumb

Project for the next month is to get the bike out of the attic and on the road for my youngest son (OK he's 40 now and rides an 1150GS-A) as a winter 'ride to work' and Rallies fun bike :thumb

Speaking of filler caps ... ya don't see many of these around today :rob

:beer jug:

Attachments

• MZ.jpg
    MZ.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 309
Yamaha GTS1000 might be worth a look at . I don`t think they sold very well , and can be bought fairly cheaply . Honda cb1000 "big one" is another where i think prices have bottomed . How about a Megamoto , get one for 10k now , enjoy it and sell it for a few quid extra in five years time .:D

I never went with that Oldrat ... now don't laugh at this, but I kept an old shampoo bottle, of just the right size, in the side panel, removable by a knurled knob. I used to buy my two stroke oil in bulk (Gulf as it 'appens) :thumb

I could run the bike down to having to put the reserve tap on, and anywhere through the reserve range, dive in to a petrol station, turn the petrol off (important) dump all the oil in from the shampoo bottle and fill up with petrol to the neck ... ran as sweet as a nut for years :thumb

Still got that shampoo bottle stored with the bike ... still got some Gulf two stroke oil in the cellar :thumb

Project for the next month is to get the bike out of the attic and on the road for my youngest son (OK he's 40 now and rides an 1150GS-A) as a winter 'ride to work' and Rallies fun bike :thumb

Speaking of filler caps ... ya don't see many of these around today :rob

:beer jug:

Some had the 2 stroke oil measure as part of the petrol filler cap too

Some had the 2 stroke oil measure as part of the petrol filler cap too

Yeah... but the measure in the filler cap was a little too inexact :nenau

You had to pour oil from a bottle in to the filler cap, pour that in to the tank, guessing just how much petrol was needed before you filed the tank ... then fill the tank. I knew that for 99.9% of my riding that once on reserve I would be able to reach a petrol station so could fill up using the shampoo bottle method.

If I knew I had a long unknown stretch of foreign territory to cover I would refuel with maybe half a tank left ... then I would resort to the measure in the filler cap :thumb

Honda cbr1000F is dirt cheap now - nice enough

Ducati 906/750 paso is cheap now - can only go up - irrespective of their faults, i reckon.

i'm not sure parts for "classics" cost more than for undesirables. new stuff anyway :nenau

They get very expensive once new parts are not readily available from the manufacturer and the 'collectors' get busy buying up parts to store in their loft.

Ducati 906/750 paso is cheap now - can only go up - irrespective of their faults, i reckon.

900SL might be a better bet, or are they too expensive already :nenau

this,might help you decide?

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/

Create your own sought after classic and make a small fortune at the same time..

Buy every example of the same model you can lay your hands on and when you've bought the last example everyone will then want one and the prices will rocket. . :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom