Bullet/helmet cams

IMO one of the most important needs is for an easy on /off, so that you capture road footage when you want it, and then turn it off when it gets boring.

Watching the youtube instruction videos for the GoPro HD2 it seems to be easier to toggle through the shooting options, is this the case, as then I'd have it on time lapse when on the motorway and flick it onto "normal" when on the twisties?

I enjoyed your vids, the sound is very good not just the wind noise generated by my Contour HD.
The next cam i get will have a viewer and a handelbar mounted on-off switch.

I run one of these. Camera head mounted to mirror stem of my VFR, recorder unit in the window of my tank bag. Bike powered will get 14 or so hours onto a 32GB SD card recorded at 720p. It will do 1080p but I find the lower res. a better compromise.

The kit contains practically all you need with the exception of the SD card. I agree that most of the time you're recording bits of the road that are pretty dull. Judicious editing is obviously required. My videos are a record for my memory so others may find them a bit dull in the whole.

You can order them from China for about £190 delivered but will probably have to pay some duty.

Here's a sample and another (don't bother with the 1080p option in the last one, that was me not paying attention when rendering, it's just up-scaled 720p)

Whilst mine came with a remote this is IR rather than radio so is line of sight only. More reliable to have the recorder in the window of my tank bag, I can press the stop/start button on it easily. A glance at the screen shows if it's recording or not.

There is an internal mic on the recorder unit but it also has a mic socket and comes with a separate mic. I have this buried in my tank bag which shields it from wind noise as well as picking up some induction. I suppose I could position it near the exhaust but that would mean another cable running out of the bag.

Potentially you could plug it into an intercom to capture bike-to-bike etc. but I prefer to do that in post production keeping the mic audio for ambient. I got a digital voice recorder for Christmas which will be hooked up to the Autocom.

bike cam

Hi

Mini Dvr it is then , Went out over weekend down flooded shite covered roads, Mini Dvr powered off bike, Remote control screen to see whats happening as you are going along and very good image, sorted :augie

Dave:thumb

I used to use a camcorder in the tank bag with a bullet camera, but so many bloody wires and an arse when it came to security if leaving the bike for a minute :nenau

The 1080HD Extreme didn't have a long battery life albeit came with a spare battery. The on or off switch was a bit faffy and difficult to operate with a gloved hand, and working round the set up, play back etc was a nightmare, plus you had no idea if it was videoing or not!

The GoPro set up is dead easy. I bought the extra battery and rear LCD screen, now soooo simple to operate. The batteries can be charged on board by means of a 12v USB connection in the rear box :thumb

No wires anywhere and when fitted on the bike as per photograph I can operate easily and check whether its filming or not. Especially easy if you don't bother with the other options than videoing and set to one click operation:thumb

Mounted on the handlebars as per piccie you get great footage with the screen and instruments in the left hand edge of the video. You have to be careful though as to whether you want the speedo showing or not :eek:

Three hours of continuous filming would be totally boring in my book. When in Ireland and Germany recently I would ride at the back of the pack and when we came to some interesting roads I would stop, turn on the GoPro and then go play 'catchup' ;)

Once at the back I would then pass each of the pals and spend a couple of minutes videoing them then pass on to the next.

Once at the front I would tell 'em to slow down a bit, forge ahead, spin the bike round and then capture them as they came towards me :thumb

Everyone totally impressed with the quality and content ... especially when set to good music :clap

:beerjug:

Attachments

• GoPro.jpg
    GoPro.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 329
Going to get a GO PRO for France next year with some tossers from here. The main issue is, do you need a laptop with you, to check the footage? I know they do a LCD screen now but wasn't sure how much that showed you as well as spending more money.

Help! :D

Going to get a GO PRO for France next year with some tossers from here. The main issue is, do you need a laptop with you, to check the footage? I know they do a LCD screen now but wasn't sure how much that showed you as well as spending more money.

you could just take a few SD cards and edit the files when you get home. a nice cheap solution that i used to do until i got an ipad.

you can't edit on an ipad, but you can view easily and delete whole files.

you can't edit on an ipad, but you can view easily and delete whole files.

Not sure about the GO PRO but with my camera deleting files off the SD card using a computer doesn't make the space available again. You need to format the card in the camera for that.

Away on European tour for 10 days last year but I had my netbook which I transferred footage to every other day. Soon learnt that I needed to format the card afterwards rather than delete the individual files.

I think you can delete individual files from the camera menu but not sure if doing it this way works or not in respect of making that space available again.

Not sure about the GO PRO but with my camera deleting files off the SD card using a computer doesn't make the space available again. You need to format the card in the camera for that.

Away on European tour for 10 days last year but I had my netbook which I transferred footage to every other day. Soon learnt that I needed to format the card afterwards rather than delete the individual files.

I think you can delete individual files from the camera menu but not sure if doing it this way works or not in respect of making that space available again.

dunno why that would be the case unless you are using a mac, which have the *feature* :rolleyes: that nothing is deleted from external drives/storage until the trash is emptied.

i'm pretty sure that space is recovered if deleted with the ipad, but now you've got me wondering :blast

i'm pretty sure that space is recovered if deleted with the ipad, but now you've got me wondering :blast

Well, mine's a different camera... worth a check though as mine stopped recording after an hour on day three having, so I thought, cleared the card the night before. A bit of head scratching that evening and we figured it out. Your mileage may vary.

I usually take a lap top with me on any trip over more than a weekend, actually a little NetBook for keeping in touch, downloading photographs and video's etc. You can all sit round on an evening, with a bier, look at your vids on the laptop and admire yourselves ;)

It's about time, now that more and more of us are using on board camera, we resurrected this thread regarding music to put on vids :thumb

:beerjug:

saw one at the HU meeting last year.

Was bullet camera but it recorded onto a solid stae hard drive that had mounted tot he bars so you could see the digi screen or thrown in tank bag.

loked very nice and allowed for long run times and more storage.

down side is not ideal for helmet and have 1 wire running to the drive.

anyone know wher ei might get these as they are nice ide for on the bike instead of the helmet.

sorry for hijack

saw one at the HU meeting last year.

Was bullet camera but it recorded onto a solid stae hard drive that had mounted tot he bars so you could see the digi screen or thrown in tank bag.

loked very nice and allowed for long run times and more storage.

down side is not ideal for helmet and have 1 wire running to the drive.

anyone know wher ei might get these as they are nice ide for on the bike instead of the helmet.

VIO POV HD is probably the best for quality, but at a price.

My set-up isn't too far behind.

Both of the above are quite bulky though.

DogCam Sport have some smaller units. However, I had the DVR2 that they used to sell and it was a big disappointment in terms of recoding quality. I would want to see some sample footage from the 1080p model.... here we go, looks OK, maybe ever so slightly 'juddery' but that might be YouTube.

not bad i do like that setup.

might try persuade herself its some we NEED

That particular bit of kit is 190 something euro in germany on amazon!!! Really interested to hear what is best - am really confused, drift or gopro..... Dont wanna spend more than this though, just want nice results a couple of times per year!!!

Back
Top Bottom