No green card required anymore 1/1/2012

its all poo

Reaction score
Well according the the woman who I just spoke to by telephone at the UK department that runs the green card scheme. from the 1 st of Jan 2012 no green cards are required for Serbia as they have joined the EU insurance gang. I have called the Serbian department and they have said the same.
So any one passing through drop me a message I have accomadation, workshop, camping and safe bike parking just off the main highway through Serbia, the E75.

Good luck who ever tries this out as the robbing c@$ts will hold on to your passports and demand money to get them back if you don't have a green card!!!!!!!!!

now think about what you have written?

They do not force you to enter. In the past if you did not have insurance they would hold your passport while you enter the country and obtain insurance. At ant time you can just turn around and leave. The reason they do this is to make sure as many people as posible are insured so if you hit somebody and cripple them the insurance you have will pay the same as if you are hit by another driver. Now I am sure you agree that if you were hit by an uninsured driver you would be pissed?

Now lets look at the UK system for checkin foreign drivers are insured,there is none. So many many foreign driver are driving without insurance.

Which is the better system?

The insurance was around £55 for a month for any bike and any rider so if you were only passing throug yes it was expensive. However could the same insurance be obtained in the UK for the same price? So a 18 year old rider on a brand new GSXR1000 arives at dover from outside the EU, how would he obtain insurance?

However for UK riders the is no requirement for purchasing a green card now.

Well according the the woman who I just spoke to by telephone at the UK department that runs the green card scheme. from the 1 st of Jan 2012 no green cards are required for Serbia as they have joined the EU insurance gang. I have called the Serbian department and they have said the same.
So any one passing through drop me a message I have accomadation, workshop, camping and safe bike parking just off the main highway through Serbia, the E75.

Well I have happen to be going to Serbia in May and I happen to know some Serbians who I will ask them to call Serbia to double check. Thanks for the heads up.

double checked

I have double checked here in Serbia and in the UK, I have checked with the Insurance assosciation here in Serbia and the border police and the actual green card body in UK.

Good stuff :thumb. One of the people I am going with also just emailed to say that his new policy from Aviva now lists Serbia. So all is good.

medical cover

There is also a agreement with UK for emergency medical cover here as well. However private doctors are plentiful and compared to UK very cheap. Even better are the dentists.

Just spoke with my insurance company and they said given that Serbia is currently a candidate member for the EU and that (at this moment in time) the underwriters would still need to issue a Green Card for £25 and have a special endorsement on the policy. So I think the order of the day is still to check with your insurance company. It would be a nasty surprise to find out if something was expected to be covered and not in the unfortunate case that a claim needed to be made.

go to the source

If you talk to the UK governing body who manages the green card system, they are the actual body that decides which country requires a green card. So they then tell the insurance companies they will tell you that you do not need one. Well thats what they told me twice. If you then speak to the equivelant body in Serbia they will tell you t he same. Then talk to the border police and they tell you the same. Try then crossing the border and ther is no need for a green card. Ask the local police and they say there is no needfor a green card as well. So I could be wrong of course. Also the EU is not the only requirement to not need a green card as Croatia, Norway,Iceland Switzerland ect do not require a green card and they are not in the EU. If you look on the green card the Islamic republic of Iran is included as an option. So if you want pay more money to your insurance company fine or just dig a little deeper. Hope you make it her!

If you talk to the UK governing body who manages the green card system, they are the actual body that decides which country requires a green card. So they then tell the insurance companies they will tell you that you do not need one. Well thats what they told me twice. If you then speak to the equivelant body in Serbia they will tell you t he same. Then talk to the border police and they tell you the same. Try then crossing the border and ther is no need for a green card. Ask the local police and they say there is no needfor a green card as well. So I could be wrong of course. Also the EU is not the only requirement to not need a green card as Croatia, Norway,Iceland Switzerland ect do not require a green card and they are not in the EU. If you look on the green card the Islamic republic of Iran is included as an option. So if you want pay more money to your insurance company fine or just dig a little deeper. Hope you make it her!

I'm sure you are trying really to be helpful but are you? You gave a great heads up. The matter was referred to the head underwriter at my insurance company and this was the answer I received. In the event of a claim by me or anyone in that unfortunate situation we are going to call the INSURANCE company. While I am sure the bloke at the Serbian border is a really nice guy and the nice lady in the UK green card office will bake cakes and have me over for tea the nice insurance company man in the UK will simply say we told you weren't insured and you decided to rely on the advice in an internet forum. After the potential claim is rejected the insurance company says "computer says no numpty and we told you so" a six page thread will start from fellow comrades along the likes of "that really sucks" and "I'm really sorry for your loss mate" and many (if not all) alongs the lines of "you f*cking idiot" as the stolen or mangled remains of the bike are incorporated into some new modern art sculpture in Belgrade with a global warming theme. I think it is easier just pay my £25. It's not about paying more money but more about common sense. I don't know about you, but I would feel like a twat giving advice that people relied on and then suffered a physical or financial loss. But then again people who read everything on the internet and think it is true probably read the Sun daily as well and can't be helped.

Iran? I'm waiting for the Shah to be reinstalled and then I'll think about it.

Smoking in petrol stations? All lies.

Hi - I think it is all in the interpretation. Now that Serbia is party to the EU insurance legislation - you will be covered for the minimum required insurance ( basically third party) that is covered across the under every EU and certain other countries issued policies. This will apply 24/7 - 12 months of the year. And you only need your certificate of insurance.... it will list Srb on the back.

What your insurance company is saying about needing a green card - is that they want to charge you to extend your standard - comprehensive - UK cover. Many of the numptys on the phone regard this extension of your full cover as giving you a 'green card'.

This is also the situation when your company tells you have 90 days cover in Europe - this means 90 days full cover - but you have statutory 3rd party for the rest of the year!! Your company can decide where and how long it will extend your full cover at their will.

The green card was actually simply proof that you have the basic legal cover required - the green card agreement garunteees that in case of you having an accident that the claim will be paid by the relevant motor insurance national organisations.

Gavin

Serbia is not listed in my current t&c since the policy was already in force. My Serbian friends who I am going with have said that if it doesn't say Serbia on the policy they will force you to buy an extortionate Serbian insurance policy before they let you in the country. You highlight "interpretation" which should emphasised. Is it worth getting into a pissing match with the insurance company for £25? Probably not. It would also be nice to have theft cover in the event the bikes gets stolen (extended cover). The bike is more likely to get stolen in London probably than Serbia.

Regardless of the facts, I always ask for a green card and conformation that I have the same standard of cover where I am going, as I have in the UK.

"Legal minimum cover" and other such phrases on documents worry me.

Legal minimum is Third Party Only in some countries.

:rob

Thanks for that. On the very same website:

Why is it necessary to extend my UK Insurance cover to visit an EU country?
Your UK insurance policy provides the MINIMUM cover required by law in every EU country, and in many EU countries the minimum cover required by UK law, if that is greater. This may not, however, provide the same cover as exists for the vehicle within the UK (e.g. you may have comprehensive cover) and for peace of mind most people regard it as desirable to make sure before traveling that such an extension is arranged. If you are in any doubt as to the cover under your policy, contact your insurer or agent to confirm the position.

As the website points out - A green card is not needed however Serbia is not a signatory to the EU Green Card Multilateral agreement. What exactly is the multilateral agreement you ask?

...which provides that national insurers' bureaux of the Member States shall conclude between themselves an agreement under which each national insurers' bureau shall guarantee settlement of claims occurring in its territory and caused by the use of vehicles normally based in the territory of another Member State, whether or not such vehicles are insured, in accordance with the requirements of its national law on compulsory insurance.

Good thing I checked with my insurance company :thumb2

You can smoke in petrol stations. Don't believe the signs. Lies!

right then

NLC as you are so sure you are correct and you are so sure I am wrong, would you like to place a bet to be donated to a charity of the winners choice?

The wager is You say for Serbia a green card is required. I say it is not.

Back
Top Bottom