Trains and ferries

Joybringer

Reaction score
I've chosen Calais as a starting point, simply as it seems to offer a slightly more accessible option for most.

However, if you need to travel to another port, please feel free to use the route files as a guide, or let me have your travel details and I'll create a GPX file for you :thumb2

If you will miss a hotel location as a result, please do let me know in good time so that I can change the booking etc. and if you do miss the first night, it will be better for you to book your own accommodation for that night.

For information, I'm booked on the 07:20 Eurotunnel on Sunday 17 June, returning 16:20 on Friday 29 June.

Can't wait...:JB

So, all that :jager I've ordered from the Tesco Winestore has given me more than enough Clubcard points to pay for the Eurotunnel crossing.

:bounce1

Given the location of the first night's stop and assuming I can make the whole trip I will probably use the tunnel crossing at the same time as you Mark, there seems no point using a different crossing route, I will probably travel to Folkestone on the Saturday and stop at a premier inn or similar, I would hope to get an earlier crossing on the return leg as I have a 4 hour schlep home with the first two hours on the most mind numbing roads the UK has to offer, that said the next two hours are not exactly interesting ;)

Given the location of the first night's stop and assuming I can make the whole trip I will probably use the tunnel crossing at the same time as you Mark, there seems no point using a different crossing route, I will probably travel to Folkestone on the Saturday and stop at a premier inn or similar, I would hope to get an earlier crossing on the return leg as I have a 4 hour schlep home with the first two hours on the most mind numbing roads the UK has to offer, that said the next two hours are not exactly interesting ;)

It's only 2 and a bit hours from me at the most, but I may join you for a sleepover.

Separate rooms, of course...:green gri

Same here. If we are stopping close to Reims on the last night then a lunchtime slot is easy if you schlep up the autoroute.

Last time I took the tunnel to go to the Ardennes with Wapping & co I used the Best Western in Hythe. Decent pub a 5 minute walk away and the hotel has an Indian restaurant within.

Car park is open but secluded.

Euro tunnel booked;
Outbound 07.20 Sunday 17 June
Inbound 14.20 Friday 29 June :thumb2

Edit: re wessie's post above, nothing booked re accommodation at the moment plenty of time for that but thanks for the suggestion.

For Eurotunnel virgins...

Eurotunnel will let you get on an earlier train than you've prebooked if you're early (providing there's space), and will allow you to be up to 2 hours late without penalty.

I've booked the 16:20 return but intend to get an earlier train. However, I have been there 2 hours before a prebooked slot and had to wait the full time - it's a risk, so up to you chaps.

At least you have a guaranteed time if all else fails.

Just a thought.

RE FERRY

Im thinking of getting the Hull - Zeebrugge ferry as im in Leeds. This makes more sense and the extra cost of this ferry will be negated by the fuel and hotel i would use going south . Looking at the map the journey to the hotel will roughly be the same from Zeebrugge as from Calais so we should get to the first nights hotel about the same time.
I dont know the locations of all the group but if anyone else going is from my end and wants to do the same drop me a pm and we can meet up.:thumb2

hi mark
07.20 OMGIE!!
will book this as soon as I return from my current adventure beginning of feb
will also be travelling up from cardiff on the sat so will try to book same as you and 2wheelhumvee for the night!
russ

Im thinking of getting the Hull - Zeebrugge ferry as im in Leeds. This makes more sense and the extra cost of this ferry will be negated by the fuel and hotel i would use going south . Looking at the map the journey to the hotel will roughly be the same from Zeebrugge as from Calais so we should get to the first nights hotel about the same time.
I dont know the locations of all the group but if anyone else going is from my end and wants to do the same drop me a pm and we can meet up.:thumb2

I will use Hull Ferry more than likely and pitch up and the first night's accomodation in Europe

Hey Joybringer, have you sent my email?

Hi JOHNNYBOXER

Nearer the time ( if you choose the Hull departure) I'll email you so we can meet up on the boat :beerjug: and share a beer or two..

Originally Posted by JON12A View Post
I dont know the locations of all the group but if anyone else going is from my end and wants to do the same drop me a pm and we can meet up.

I will probably also go for the Hull option. Can't remember if you have to book a cabin or it just makes it slightly pleasanter? :confused::confused:

meeting up

Being new around here I don't anyone else going on this trip.(all part of the fun)
Do the rest of you know each other?
If not or even if you do, is it worth having a meet up before the trip? Perhaps a ride out somewhere central-ish to us all?

Same here - know a few, 2wh & Gerry for sure and maybe others. Not worried about meeting up before. With such a large group we will form sub-groups based on riding pace, alcohol dependency and so forth.

B&B near Chunnel

About to take the plunge and book chunnel crossings,
aiming for the 07.20 outbound on sat 16th and14.20 inbound on the 29th.
ALL BOOKED!!!!
Just for info, I used a very nice B&B last year called one step beyond which is very handy for the chunnel and has a pub 5 mins away with reasonable food.
no secure parking but the house is tucked away in a quiet street in a quiet village...

as its such an early start not sure whether the breakfast will be available so will contact them and find out.....

http://www.new-inn.info/bed.html

is the pub and B&B is first on list

About to take the plunge and book chunnel crossings,
aiming for the 07.20 outbound on sat 16th and14.20 inbound on the 29th.
ALL BOOKED!!!!
Just for info, I used a very nice B&B last year called one step beyond which is very handy for the chunnel and has a pub 5 mins away with reasonable food.
no secure parking but the house is tucked away in a quiet street in a quiet village...

as its such an early start not sure whether the breakfast will be available so will contact them and find out.....

http://www.new-inn.info/bed.html

is the pub and B&B is first on list

Are you going over a day earlier?

I'm booked on the 17th 7:20 and the 29th 14:20 :clap
Just awaiting confirmation of a B&B
Can't wait now :JB

Are you going over a day earlier?

I'm booked on the 17th 7:20 and the 29th 14:20 :clap
Just awaiting confirmation of a B&B
Can't wait now :JB

Nope, just cant type!
sadly my \B&B is fully booked for the sat night so back to drawing board