Back towards the Lonesome Pine...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
29th September

What a crap day…

I wake early and, looking out of the window, I’m greeted with the sight of – well, nothing – the fog’s so thick, I can’t even see my bike, 2 stories below my window. I switch on the weather channel and see that it’s forecast to clear mid-morning. I stayed here at Beckley, the obese person centre of the Eastern USA (really – I could get a job as a male model here – except I’d look anorexic), for an extra 24hrs to allow the storm formerly known as Hurricane Jeanne to clear. This time yesterday the rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was battering the hotel windows. I’m not averse to riding in the rain when I need to – but there’s little point in riding a scenic route when you can’t see anything – and the storm was wild enough to be dangerous.

I check my email and find that there’s one from a prospective employer – I applied online for a job a few days ago and had to email them yesterday, explaining that I’d not be able to attend the selection tests in early October, as they’d offered. The email today says that the interviews will be held the week after the tests and thanked me for my interest. Bugger.

I consider my options as I pack my bags. The truth is that I’m far more apprehensive about returning to he UK than I was about starting the trip. I’ve not had to apply for a job in early 20 years and, when I read of this particular job on the internet, it seemed to be the ideal answer – something I’m uniquely qualified to do.

I pack the bike and set off into a light mist at about 1000. The roads are virtually dry and I make my way down Highway 3 towards Beaver (quiet at the back!). If you have $18,500, this pensioner could be yours…

9181118-L.jpg

…a 1934 Chevrolet – not looking bad for a 70 yr old, eh?

I’m soon out in the country and the fog has lightened to those ‘mists of mellow fruitfulness’ so beloved of Saga advertising execs, trying to gouge money out of you in the autumn years of your life…

9181120-L.jpg

…though quite why I’m feeling so cynical looking at the beautiful early Fall colours I don’t know.

I consider the idea of flying back to the UK for the job interview. Although it would be quite expensive – it wouldn’t be as expensive as being unemployed for a month. I could garage the bike near New York, get a cheap 1 week return ticket to Heathrow, do the interview (plus sort out a car and somewhere to live), then fly back for the last 3 weeks or so. Hmmm.

I get to Hinton to find that the New River…

9181124-L.jpg

…is in full flood – this is where all the water which has fallen in the last few days has ended up. The water is very high, muddy brown and fast flowing. Occasionally I catch a glimpse of some semi-submerged log turning over and breaking surface as it fights with the undercurrents.

I could hire a car at Heathrow, drive down to Bristol to pick up my suit and other clothes (& see my folks whilst I was there), drive up to Norfolk for the interview and then get back to Heathrow, drop the car and be back in 5-7 days – no problem…

I’m following a route I programmed into Bettie the night before last, suggested by Steverino, from ADVRider. Bettie suddenly turns me on to a freeway for 60-odd miles - huh? :confused: This wasn’t in the plan. I re-check the saved route – sure enough, I’m following it. It occurs to me that I may be on the route I asked Bettie to calculate herself, rather than the detailed plan I put in. I pull off at the next exit and, to the amusement of passing truck drivers, reprogram Bettie…

9181127-L.jpg

Top tip for Garmin GPS users – if you save a route to your unit, and you already have a route of that name saved to your unit – it will not overwrite the first route! With the new route loaded, I set off along the 60, then the 311, to intercept it.

The 311 is a good, fun road…

9181128-L-1.jpg

…which runs up and down several ranges of hills. At times, I come across areas where water has obviously been flowing over the road, during the storms of the last few days. These areas are damp patches of silt and gravel. I feel the rear wheel of the bike ‘step out’ a couple of times, when I wasn’t expecting it. In fact, after a while, I slow down, because it feels odd. I stop and check the front & rear tyre pressures – they’re spot on. I inspect the front and rear shock absorbers, but there are no signs of leaking oil, or anything else unusual. I do these checks at a beautiful overlook…

9181133-L.jpg

…the valley ghost-like in the early afternoon haze…

I get back on the bike. The only possibility I can think of that might cause the rear end to get a little squirrelly like this is the unthinkable – play in the rear drive bearing. I can only test this by putting the bike on its centre-stand and checking for play in the rear wheel – I’ll need someone’s help, as the rear of the bike has to be lifted up to allow me to check this. As I slowly ride to Roanoke, my mind leaping at every perceived aberrant movement of the rear of the bike – I’m still not sure – is it my imagination?

I pull into the Hampton Inn, walk into the lobby to be greeted, for some reason, by a disdain close to hostility from Helen, who Hampton Inn Roanoke has mistakenly put in charge of welcoming people to their hotel. I doubt she could’ve looked further down her nose and stayed upright. Well, I like Hampton Inns – but I don’t need to stay in one that badly – I go next door to the Country Inns & Suites, save myself $20 and am checked in by the teenaged Evelyn – who just loves my accent…

I unpack the bike and, in the absence of anyone in the car park to help me with checking the rear wheel, go up to my room. I’m writing this now, when I should really be down there trying to get some help checking the bike out. I really don’t want it to be the bearing again (although all BMW parts carry a 12 month warranty – so at least it shouldn’t cost me to replace it) – the problem is, it’ll cost me time – a commodity I’m starting to run out of.

Bollocks.

9183103-L.jpg

9181130-L.jpg

I've just done a check (with the aid of Chris, the manager of the hotel - small in stature, big on helping out his customers :thumb ) on the rear wheel - rock solid - couldn't get it to move in either 6 & 12 or 3 & 9 - so it looks like the rear drive bearings have passed muster - but, if I didn't imagine it (and I'm quite prepared to believe I could've) - what's happening?

Tune in tomorrow for further developments...:D

Back
Top Bottom