question for the hardcore riders.

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
just wondering what sort of layers you guys use for long distance road riding in winter,im trying to work out what works best ,at the moment i have two peice textile suit subzero thermals or rukka mid layer and thermal base layer,what works for you??:D

Until this year I've ridden pretty much everyday though not sure I'm a hardcore rider. :D Anyhow I wear a base layer then a pair of 'jogging pants' on bottom and a long sleeve 'tshirt' type material shirt on top (can typically pick them up at Zara for about a tenner). On the bottom i then wear my normal riding trousers with the goretex/thermal liner in them. On top i wear a normal buttoned shirt with a a thin sweater/jumper. I have a heated vest then my rallye 2 pro with liner in. The summer gloves goes into the muffs, heated grips on and away we go. My normal socks with bmw allround boots are fine but then again I tend to wear birkenstocks year round so perhaps my feet don't feel the cold. With the heated vest I don't necessarily need the sweater layer so if I'm only driving for an hour or so I tend to discard as it gets a bit bulky.

I wouldnt describe myself as a Hardcore rider, but I do ride in some fairly extreme weather sometimes.

My favourite three layers to add are a long sleeved technical top worn next to the skin....very breathable and wicks away sweat superbly so it cant go cold next to the skin, and good for travel riding as it has *ahem* anti bacterial properties and dries very quickly when washed in a hand basin of warm water.

second layer is what once was a very expensive lamb's wool thin jumper...it holds heat extremely well whilst being very comfortable and light. It's gone all bobbly now, but as a layer, it's superb.

I do have a synthetic, fairly fluffy jumper that does a similar job and is also light and packs small, but the arms are a bit short so this one often leaves my wrists getting cold.

Third layer is a windproof goretex walking jacket which comes down over my bum, has long sleeves with adjustable cuff-bands

Over the top of it all, I wear my trusty Aerostich one piece.

The goretex jacket helps trap the air in the lamb's wool jumper, but also prevents the occasional long distance leak that my now 10 yr old 'stich allows, particularly if it's an all-day ride in very wet conditions

The point where the 'stich will leak is in the groin and around the top of the chest area....mostly its down to me not getting the overflaps sorted properly, but the long walking jacket tucks in around my gentleman vegetables so even if I get a groinage leak through the 'stich, my tackle stays dry......and there's nothing quite as unpleasant on a long wet day than cold wet tackle :(

Oh.....If it's cold enough, I'll also add my home made heated body warmer (over the jumper but under the goretex jacket)

Gloves....BMW GS gloves over thin windstoppers, used with muffs.....winter gloves IME are just crap.
Muffs also dispense with all that fukking about with tucking everything in in the right order and keep my hands totally dry...that and heated grips, job done.

Socks.....Thin technical under thin(ish) long (knee length) ski socks

Kecks.....Rohan technical or similar.....NO COTTON kecks that would hold water and make your bits shrivel even more than they normally do on a cold wet day :rob

Head......winter buff tucked under body layers and over ears, then in really cold weather, thin synthetic balaclava under helmet...rarely worn though now, as i had a nasty experience when it slipped when I did a lifesaver and I had one eye covered by it until I could pull off the road and sort myself out

thin socks
thicker socks
goretex socks if your using MX style boots

make sure the boots are not too tight cos that'll make your feet cold

nylon thermals from a camping shop
morino wool layer
wind stopper shirt

Kushitani suit with it's thermal layer

couple a buffs to close the neck

make sure your battery is fully charged up on the bike cos if it's really cold the bike can throw a right moody before you do....

then your get nice and warm pushing the bloody thing....:blast

but I've not ridden a bike in nearly 3 years so I'd take the car and wear shorts and a T-shirt

Not sure if i'm qualified but normal clothing with a temp controlled Heated jacket under my aerostich and handlebar muffs.

Plus long distances in extreme weathers a guacho.

Suit with a proper windproof layer makes a huge difference, i've a spidi venture suit and am warm down to 3degrees with just a t-shirt underneath, anything below that i wear a thin fleece. Got some lobster claw style gloves from held as well this year and have'nt had the grips switched on once. Ride everyday no matter what as it's my main transport. I think riding in the cold regularly makes a difference as well you acclimatise to it, i dont feel the cold like i used to.

I must be dead hardcore me!

Savanna II jacket with goretex, two sweatshirts and a pair of jeans, rubberised waterproof trews and my BMW goretex boots BMW winter gloves and heated grips on 1

Coldupthere.jpg

Back
Top Bottom