Replacing The Engine Nuts

mark wilde

Replacing The Engine

Was approached by an Rt owner at a local bike meet. he has advised me to replace all the bolts on the bike with stainless steel ones. He advised me that this prevents any future problems, especially if I decide to ride the bike in winter. has anyone already done this and what was the total cost. I figure with the brake callipers and all it would be approximately 50 bolts needed, who much would this cost and also are the aluminium ones which are anodised any better than the steel ones. I know they are much lighter but are they better quality.

Evening Mark,
You can get S/S kits for all the models of BMW from Motobins or Motorworks but they are expensive to buy all at once (£130 approx). I have replaced as and when required and just got what I needed at the same time as service items. S/S is much better than anodised alloy which will fur up very quickly in winter.
Regards, Paul.

-----
Paul
'00 R1150GS - "Paddy"

Also try Keith Shaw - he supplies complete Stainless bolt kits or individually ie one wheel at atime or the engine etc.Iwould think Stainless is better (after Copperslipping)than Anodised alloy as these can corrode ie fur up and also react with steel that they are screwed into. Keith Shaw 's number is 0115 9727847 and he is situated @ Nottingham and as he supplies direct so should be cheaper.

-----
john

Stainless would certainly be my choice, I would seriously question the use of aluminium bolts in any position that required a high torque setting.

Regards
Charlie

-----
Regards Charlie

Just a note of caution, stainless bolts usually have a lower yield stress than straight carbon steel, no problem for most applications but check specifically that any you use are suitable for hi stress applications like callipers.

A.

i agree with j bellamy.keith shaw is the best ,with excellent advice.i have replaced rs1100 with stainless allen head bolts from him.he advises they are suitable to replace brake caliper bolts.

Back
Top Bottom