So...Moto Guzzi Stelvio or Triumph adventure?

I love the quality of the finish on my V1200 , the only quality issue I have seen on one used Stelvio was rusting spokes and nipples which let the bike down.

Obviously the seating on mine is completely different to a Stelvio but I find the same problem of the passengers feet fouling my heels when I ride with the ball of my foot on the peg, mainly on the brake side.

Be different go Guzzi....some cheap ones knocking around right now with it being winter.:thumb

The bike handles well, the brakes are good and the performance is on par with the GS1200, but the Guzzi has loads more character. The finish on my early Stelvio was far better than my GS1150, the BMW had paint flaking off the engine and fork legs after two years. Reliability has been good though not perfect, it needed a speedo sensor replacing due to heavy rain causing water ingress (done under warranty), Guzzi final drives seem to be more robust than the BMW

+ 1 , Great , underated Machine.
You really should get yourself some Luggage Mr Fatal

Be different go Guzzi....some cheap ones knocking around right now with it being winter.:thumb

Had a look about, couldn't find any I'd call cheap. They seem to be holding there value quite well. But then maybe I'm too much of a cheap scape and expect them to be too cheap. Maybe with the mention of high depreciation I was expecting lower prices, but nothing about under £6000 generally.

I'd thought they'd been about longer! 04-05:nenau. All I found was 07-08ish. Have I missed something in my searches?

+ 1 , Great , underated Machine.
You really should get yourself some Luggage Mr Fatal

The NTX came with TRAX panniers, I've also fitted a GIVI topcase that I used on my Tiger 1050 but I may fir the TRAX top box as it compliments the panniers better. I've also got the Guzzi tank bag that I bought for my original Stelvio (not tried it on the NTX yet)

Had a look about, couldn't find any I'd call cheap. They seem to be holding there value quite well. But then maybe I'm too much of a cheap scape and expect them to be too cheap. Maybe with the mention of high depreciation I was expecting lower prices, but nothing about under £6000 generally.

I'd thought they'd been about longer! 04-05:nenau. All I found was 07-08ish. Have I missed something in my searches?

Well there are two 2009 09 plated bikes both with luggage and circa 6,000 miles at diff' dealers on autotrader right now at £5995....cheap enough ?

I had a Guzzi before throughout the '80s loved it and toured all over Europe. I've been fond of them ever since and and have watched the company go through some tough times and not actually make a bike that I wanted to ride.

When the Stelvio first came out, I really was excited about it but after riding it was really dissapointed. After the 2009 engine updates, it was a much much better bike and having ridden the 2011 model with 32ltr tank, it now looks to be the bike it really should have been in the first place.

Along comes the Trumpet 1200 Adventure and my head is turned. Now what do I do, the Triumph is getting really hyped up, there is a lot of anticipation about how good it will be but details pricing etc are only just being announced with the carrot of a 'launch' edition with £300 worth of goodies on. But...will there be another version following with bigger tank etc? Who knows?

Or do I just buy a 2nd hand KTM and wait another year?................

Forget the Stelvio and buy a Griso, the best looking and handling Guzzi at the moment in my opinion. I've toured all over Europe on mine and loved every minute!

GUZZI

IMO only:D
I have had couple of GS's 1150 and 800, went over to a Guzzi the 1200 sport (which is now in the hands of Rushy :D) I found riding position not suited to me but just 'loved the character n grunt of the Guzzi engine, so after a short stint with a SMT (hooli bike) I have now given in and gone back to the Guzzi again, with the Stelvio :D just love the presence on the road and that motor just pulls n pulls, far more character than any Triumph, be different go get the Italian bike, you won't regret it. GUZZI GUZZI :beerjug:

IMO only:D
I have had couple of GS's 1150 and 800, went over to a Guzzi the 1200 sport (which is now in the hands of Rushy :D) I found riding position not suited to me but just 'loved the character n grunt of the Guzzi engine, so after a short stint with a SMT (hooli bike) I have now given in and gone back to the Guzzi again, with the Stelvio :D just love the presence on the road and that motor just pulls n pulls, far more character than any Triumph, be different go get the Italian bike, you won't regret it. GUZZI GUZZI :beerjug:

Hi Bob, very interested to see you've gone Guzzi again.:clap

I can't quite get to grips with the riding position on the V12 either. However, I did nearly 900 long and hard miles on A and B roads in 2 days mid summer and although tis always a little uncomfortable from the outset it never got any worse IYKWIM. I did buy some risers just a day or so before the trip but a quick fit revealed they would need some rerouting of cables or even extending some and I didnt have the time to mess about. Will take off the cowling and do the job properly over the winter.:thumb

Forget the Stelvio and buy a Griso, the best looking and handling Guzzi at the moment in my opinion. I've toured all over Europe on mine and loved every minute!

How big are you? I borrowed a Griso for a day and found it very cramped, the handlebars too low which put too much weight onto my wrists, and the footrests too high almost like a sports bike. My missus wasn't so keen on the pillion seat either and she's quite slim. So no use to me for touring. However I do think the Griso is a nice looking bike and handles well enough. I'll stick with my Stelvio.

How big are you? I borrowed a Griso for a day and found it very cramped, the handlebars too low which put too much weight onto my wrists, and the footrests too high almost like a sports bike. My missus wasn't so keen on the pillion seat either and she's quite slim. So no use to me for touring. However I do think the Griso is a nice looking bike and handles well enough. I'll stick with my Stelvio.

You never mentioned your weight !! :augie

:hide

5ft 11ins and 14stone and you don't have to upgrade the saddle like i've had to before on all my GS's.

Go for a long test ride on both and see which one you like the most.

Some people love Stelvios and others don`t.

Steve

I had a very low mileage Stelvio. but I let it go after I discovered that the dealer had mis sold the bike to me saying it was a 2010 model registered 2012.It turned out to be a 2008 model. I swapped it for a 1200 gs and I am happy with the BMW. The Stelvio would probably develope cam wear problems and I couldn't be bothered waiting for that to happen. The Stelvio sounded amazing, the finish was good and the performance was good. Very stable on the motorway. Forks too soft on the brakes especially if you are used to Telelever. Buffeting from the screen in all positions. Good seat decent headlamps. The GS hasa much smoother linear power delivery much lighter and flickable, more sorted less vibes through the bars. Better screen and brakes. Hope this helps.

I agrew with the above.

I loved the Demo I rode, GS style "character", great engine, good handling, softest forks on the planet.

The Mrs did not like it however and I had reservations with the brand, I see the BMW as being highly likely to go wrong, but quickly sorted and with good warranty / goodwill backup, the Guzzi less likely to go wrong, but with the potential to have major dealer / spares / tech backup problems.

The Yamaha I bought in one way was my least favourite, a bit character-less, but seemed by far the least likely to go wrong and although I think the BMW technical support is by far the best, the much lower cost of dealer labour and the (IMO) lower chances of problems made it the only one I would feel comfortable with.

I loved my GS and would have cherished a Guzzi, it also is a bit different, far from common and in many ways unique with its trademark engine, but for me the Yamaha was the right choice - and the Guzzi dealer has since folded.

Stelvio NTX Lovely - but?

I had an 09 Stelvio NTX after 1200GS for 4 1/2 yrs and 1100GS for 7 1/2 yrs. loved the engine, comfort, handling was good, and the exhaust noise fabulous. Plus never saw another one on the road as opposed to every over bike being a GS.

However, in two years i had to return to the dealer for warranty work 8 times - clutch bearing failed; fork seal failed; tank cover paint lifted (due to a petrol splash); both sides, the centre stand bolts fell out on differing occasions, makes putting it on the stand interesting; the oil light came on warning no oil twice due to sensor not being very waterproof; and to cap it all the Bash Plate fell into two pieces due to vibration.

That said i really liked riding the bike and the interest it got wherever i went on it, just decided i was not willing to keep paying for repairs when the warrenty ran out. It was super comfy on trips, I went to South Wales to the BMW off road skills more than once (bit addictive) a day off road and lots of tumbling plus 325 miles on the Stelvio - no problem, slept well thou'.

The dealer was excellent and sorted everything but i saw rather too much of them - Motostrada in Shipley.

Now got a 1200GS triple black, seems to be a step on from the previous 04 1200 I had and have done 8500 miles in a year on it, including 2 track days which are such a scream (chasing and passing large sports bikes is too much fun) although i think my skills where enhanced by the bike's abilities.

So in summary it's lovely, full of character, and good to ride - but you need a good one.

However, in two years i had to return to the dealer for warranty work 8 times - clutch bearing failed; fork seal failed; tank cover paint lifted (due to a petrol splash); both sides, the centre stand bolts fell out on differing occasions, makes putting it on the stand interesting; the oil light came on warning no oil twice due to sensor not being very waterproof; and to cap it all the Bash Plate fell into two pieces due to vibration.

It's called character ;)

Andres

I think Moto Guzzis by nature are more owner intensive than some other brands, they are perhaps best suited to owners who like to tinker and do their own maintenance. Thats part of the reason I enjoy them so much. Then again I have a penchant for oldish Airheads, Land Rovers, Harleys and british bikes :)

Back
Top Bottom