IXS Assault Jacket 2012

Packer

Appreciating Scotland
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone use the IXS Assault Jacket 2012 in place of the separate armour pads in a riding jacket? If so do you like it?

34187.jpg

Bump?

Perhaps something similar? I'm going to be riding in high temperatures and want to retain some protection if I need to take off my riding jacket.

If it were me, I'd get the Forcefield Extreme Harness Adventure. The best armour going, minimal other material and hence the coolest in a hot climate.

About £260......

forcefield_extreme_harness_adventure.jpg

Packer ... I don't use the IXS that you have, but I do use something similar under a simple non armoured jacket when off roading. I havent used it for road riding though .... I wouldn't fancy sliding on tarmac wearing that and nothing else .... :thumb2

Packer ... I don't use the IXS that you have, but I do use something similar under a simple non armoured jacket when off roading. I havent used it for road riding though .... I wouldn't fancy sliding on tarmac wearing that and nothing else .... :thumb2

I haven't bought the IXS item, I was just thinking about options for some protection if it got too hot for a full jacket. I don't fancy sliding along tarmac at all:D

I'm going on Sgt Bilco's Frisco to Prudho trip. We may have highs of up to 40C and lows of 2-3 with rain. Covering that lot is difficult. I thought that if I had mesh based armour it would be better than nothing if I got too hot in my HG Master Gortex jacket which only has a couple of vents. I'd take the armour out of the jacket which would mean that it folded smaller as well.

Wow, lucky you, that'll be a trip of a life time.

I think your idea is probably very sound - I'm trail riding in the pyrenees end of April and will do something very similar; body armour mesh suit under an old Jacket with no armour.

I guess alot of it is common sense, to the terrain at the time.

Treat yerself to a couple of merino wool base layers ....

Enjoy - we'll expect lots of pics .... ;)

On the other hand, if you don't want to spend quite so much and you're not an overly large gentleman, I could sell you this....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274615&highlight=Knox

I'd looked at the Forcefield stuff as well and that is still an option. Your Knox shirt is a tad too small for this lover of Cornish pasties:augie

I want something that will be as cool to wear as possible whilst still giving my old bones a fighting chance of staying in one piece and my skin still on me instead of decorating the road. Some long days, tiredness and big distractions may be a good combination for an unplanned "rest".

Treat yerself to a couple of merino wool base layers ....

Enjoy - we'll expect lots of pics .... ;)

Icebreaker's, new and in the cupboard ready to go. 15% off using the UKGSer Cotswold Outdoor discount code.

Pic's? I'm the worlds worst for remembering to take pictures:blast

Icebreaker's, new and in the cupboard ready to go. 15% off using the UKGSer Cotswold Outdoor discount code.

I'd wait until you get there before buying any more gear. I paid the $ equivalent of £8 each for the last couple of Icebreaker baselayers I bought myself in a sale in the Icebreaker shop in Portland, Oregon.

I'd wait until you get there before buying any more gear. I paid the $ equivalent of £8 each for the last couple of Icebreaker baselayers I bought myself in a sale in the Icebreaker shop in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks Schtum. To me that would be better than Christmas, Icebreaker kit in a sale, I've never seen that:) Another small example of rip-off Britain?

Just as a for instance - Road Rider in San Jose are one of the Forcefield dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area. In the past, I've e-mailed them in advance and got them to stock a specific item to be ready for collection when I arrived.

It's still pretty much the case that whatever we pay £1.00 for over here costs a $1.00 in the US and as I've said, sometimes stuff can be had much more cheaply.

http://www.roadridermca.com/

I'm also a fan of REI and when in the Bay Area, usually go to the branch at El Paseo de Saratoga.

http://www.rei.com/stores/22

JIt's still pretty much the case that whatever we pay £1.00 for over here costs a $1.00 in the US and as I've said, sometimes stuff can be had much more cheaply.

Thanks Schtum, I've heard that before. I'll need to see how much time I have available. I arrive mid afternoon on the 14th and we head off north on the 16th so I may be able to slot in a visit.

Back
Top Bottom