Updated Guzzi V7

Its the 2012 Stone in white with Racer wheels and side panels, off road bars, non standard pipes, and a number board from an MX store. Also has a high flo air filter and runs really well and loud! All thanks to my local Guzzi dealer, Corsa Italiana, excellent chaps to deal with and very accommodating.

After a GS and currently a KTM 950SM I'm thinking about getting one of these new MG V7s. I'm particularly interested in Ped's experience with his personalised version - how is it going so far? And what did the OP think after his test ride? I actually rather like the modern wheels on the Stone (must improve the unsprung weight?) and with some Arrow exhausts, the screen from the Racer and heated grips I reckon I'd be sorted.

The plan is to keep the KTM for blasting the Alpine twisties, but fancied something small and light for pottering about on, plus some light commuting. I've no experience with Moto Guzzis but have heard about some patchy finishing/reliability. Is this still true now they're part of Piaggio?

Thanks

After numerous Gs's and more recently KTM Adventure I fancied a change. Something lighter, smaller and easier to manage with a bit of retro and hey presto......

How do you make one of those? Very nice.

It's not a standard factory model right?

How do you make one of those? Very nice.

It's not a standard factory model right?

Its the 2012 Stone in white with Racer wheels and side panels, off road bars, non standard pipes, and a number board from an MX store. Also has a high flo air filter and runs really well and loud! All thanks to my local Guzzi dealer, Corsa Italiana, excellent chaps to deal with and very accommodating.

HTH ..........:thumb

Always had a soft spot for Guzzis but never actually had one, that is nice and only 179kg wet.

How do you find the rear suspension?

I road tested a Stone and after 30 miles it felt like someone had attacked my lower back with a sledge hammer. The rear shocks felt massively oversprung and underdamped, every lump in the road was a jolt into my spine.

Well that answers my query to the OP. Obviously, Packer, you didn't rush out and order one. Did you go for anything else? Can the rear suspension be sorted out by changing springs/dampers and how did you find the bike apart from that?

After numerous Gs's and more recently KTM Adventure I fancied a change. Something lighter, smaller and easier to manage with a bit of retro and hey presto......

Excellent!

I trust we'll be seeing you at the Kent Moto Guzzi Club meets?

http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/

If it's anything like my first visit, they'll be crawling under the bike to get at the clutch linkage, and telling you to put some grease on it... :D

(PS: Lungauer - have a look at the MG Club forum above - it'll answer a lot of your questions!)

Well that answers my query to the OP. Obviously, Packer, you didn't rush out and order one. Did you go for anything else? Can the rear suspension be sorted out by changing springs/dampers and how did you find the bike apart from that?

I was really saddened by that test ride as I had fancied one of them but no I didn't buy. It kept cutting out at junctions as well and the left exhaust header fell off on my test ride, I had to limp into a garage and get them to re-attach it.

The rear suspension could probably be improved by adjusting the pre-load, there was no static sag whatsoever, but as two C spanners are needed it wasn't something I could do on test. I'm certain that different springs/shockers would fix it and apart from that the bike felt agile and nippy for what it is.

After that I tested a Honda NC700 X and for less money it seemed like a lot more bike and way more refined. I haven't bought that yet either but probably will at some point, cash is a bit tight at the moment.

I was really saddened by that test ride as I had fancied one of them but no I didn't buy. It kept cutting out at junctions as well and the left exhaust header fell off on my test ride, I had to limp into a garage and get them to re-attach it.

The rear suspension could probably be improved by adjusting the pre-load, there was no static sag whatsoever, but as two C spanners are needed it wasn't something I could do on test. I'm certain that different springs/shockers would fix it and apart from that the bike felt agile and nippy for what it is.

After that I tested a Honda NC700 X and for less money it seemed like a lot more bike and way more refined. I haven't bought that yet either but probably will at some point, cash is a bit tight at the moment.

That does seem a real shame but sounds more like poor PDI and set up by the dealer than any intrinsic fault with the bikes - mind you, I'm not surprised the Honda felt so much more refined, in practical terms a far better bike but, maybe, nowhere near as characterful. Why is it the two qualities so rarely go hand in hand :nenau

Andres

My V7 Scrambler

Done about 1000 miles now and the engine is loosening up, becoming a lot more free revving. Runs nice and smooth, pulls really well. Yes the rear suspension was initially very hard but some minor adjustment has improved it no end. I will still consider upgrading, either Ikons or Hagons.
Have fitted some slightly higher bars as I prefer a more upright riding position, which meant extending the clutch cable and front brake hose, certainly more comfortable for me now, remains to be seem how this impacts on handling.
In summary am really chuffed with both the look and performance so far. Ok it hasnt got the power of some but what it does have is really usable, it feels nice and light and just reminds me of what biking was like back in the day. Havent had any issues with it, ok its not the most technologically advanced bike out there but sometimes less is more - I suggest you all get yourself down to your local MG dealer and try one, you might be pleasantly surprised, I was!

Is it yielding the 60mpg or so that MG claim?

One of my intended uses was commuting and getting better mileage than the 45 or so that the 1150GS manages.

Personally I only use the bike for fun so am not mpg sensitive but I am getting around 200 miles before the reserve light comes on which I gather equates to around 55-60mpg.

With the comments about small adjustments transforming the rear suspension I may need to think again, I really don't want a chain drive bike if I can avoid it.

Done about 1000 miles now and the engine is loosening up, becoming a lot more free revving. Runs nice and smooth, pulls really well. Yes the rear suspension was initially very hard but some minor adjustment has improved it no end. I will still consider upgrading, either Ikons or Hagons.
Have fitted some slightly higher bars as I prefer a more upright riding position, which meant extending the clutch cable and front brake hose, certainly more comfortable for me now, remains to be seem how this impacts on handling.
In summary am really chuffed with both the look and performance so far. Ok it hasnt got the power of some but what it does have is really usable, it feels nice and light and just reminds me of what biking was like back in the day. Havent had any issues with it, ok its not the most technologically advanced bike out there but sometimes less is more - I suggest you all get yourself down to your local MG dealer and try one, you might be pleasantly surprised, I was!

Have you still got it?

They have put a 6 speed box in for the new model year

Look nice bikes

I'd be tempted to scramble rise it.

Loose the rear mudguard to something much smaller and lighter, raise the front guard, fit TKC 80's, Renthal bars and a pair of pea shooters.

Make a nice little run around that would. Posted this before, yum yum.

Fluff

Attachments

• img_3783.jpeg
    img_3783.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 144

Back
Top Bottom