Honda xl600, but which one

mark-a

Reaction score
Hey tossers, Was rambling around ukgser on my day off and found this forum - never knew it was there!

I bought an XL600 bout 2 years ago as a winter hack, got it for a very reasonable 480quid, taxed and tested, running ok but a bit rattly in the top end, did an oil change and topped up to the correct level, now it runs much more quietly.
Changed other bits and bobs to keep it moving and stopping proper.

Now the question:- the bike was imported from Italy around 2002, established as a 1985 bike by 'classic services' Manchester and as such given a 'B' reg by dvla.

Problem is I don't know which derivative the bike is, the guy I bought it off had it as an LM but I'd like some confirmation from someone who knows these bikes.
I have other questions about starter motor among others (I have to kick start it, not a problem but would love it to be fixed) that Question along with others can be addressed later.
I know a picture is best but I'll have to wait a day or two for that.
The bike has a single rectangle shaped headlight with a small cowl fairing, has electric and kick starter, disc front and drum rear brake. Natural colour alloy wheel rims with spokes on a circular web so the tyres are I think tubeless.

Any ideas guys and gals. Thanks in anticipation:)

If it's like this, it'll be an XL600R

Attachments

• Honda XL600R 83  2.jpg
    Honda XL600R 83 2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 27,181
Thanks Timolgra

Headlight and cowl the same, but my side panels are different.
I'll have to get the photo sorted.
Thanks for the reply, tidy bike tho, is it one of your own?

Headlight and cowl the same, but my side panels are different.
I'll have to get the photo sorted.
Thanks for the reply, tidy bike tho, is it one of your own?

Jeez no, I wouldn't have a heap of shite like that:D:D;)

Just kidding, great bikes:thumb

This is the XL600LM

347752664_PFzX6-X2.jpg

Here's one we rebuilt - (yeah I know the Simpson fairing isn't the best, but soon swapped it back to OE spec.)

429146469_NGgLm-XL.jpg

Here she is having a play on Salisbury Plain

554016688_VWHEz-X2.jpg

The rims should be gold - and the spokes are mounted on a central 'flange' making them tubeless. Don't confuse the rims with the later 'made of cheese' DID POS!:eek:

Great bikes - but have a tendency to overheat and crack the head - so fitting an oil cooler is always a good move :thumb

Twin round headlight was a UK spec - European bikes had a rectangular headlight.

Hope this helps :thumb2

Replies

Hey Timolgra - you think yours is a heap of shtie, wait till you see mine........ pictures coming....

Stormforce:-Looking good, that looks like mine and it came from Europe - square headlight - tank isnt as big - black engine - alloy rims with the spoke flange - does that mean I have the terrible rims you mentioned?

Yours looking good - mine a bit worse for wear - as I said pictures coming, could the small differences be due to yours being paris-dakkar?

Hey Timolgra - you think yours is a heap of shtie, wait till you see mine........ pictures coming....

Stormforce:-Looking good, that looks like mine and it came from Europe - square headlight - tank isnt as big - black engine - alloy rims with the spoke flange - does that mean I have the terrible rims you mentioned?

Yours looking good - mine a bit worse for wear - as I said pictures coming, could the small differences be due to yours being paris-dakkar?

Tim wouldn't own a Honda

mmmm

think he did then boxer - eight times - don't make him a bad person......
:augie

Is it one of these? I travelled round Aus for a few months back in 91 on this, I could have sworn it was also an XL600LM but with small tank? You may notice the home made aluminium strips to keep the throw overs from crushing the side panel onto the exhaust :spl1f:

Getting a flat in the middle of nowhere, had to wait 5 hours for help as needed new tyre :blast:D
i-T32gbRv-M.jpg
[/url]

Washing before selling :(
i-6GwgmZk-M.jpg
[/url]

aah

BOBBLE ....Better check my garage - did you pinch my bike you thieving git........

and thanks for washing it - ah thats what it looks like under all that stuff, this is a photo of my exact bike - but cleaner

So could this be an LM after all but a different spec from the uk

helps with the manual I bought - valve clearances etc

The last one I saw for sale (XL600LM small tank) was from a dealers about three years ago, exactly the same as my photo's and was an import from Italy so maybe it is a UK / rest of world thing? it would be around the time of the XT600 Tenere so makes sense.

It was a great bike and would love another nice one to hoon about on :thumb2

the twin carb models are the best performing, ie the xl600rd,
the dominator is a good bike thoughalso ,
i found the lmf a bit of a fatty off the road but as a tourer i suppose the tanks good

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nN1eXiG43YU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You might like to see this.:thumb

Great bikes - but have a tendency to overheat and crack the head - so fitting an oil cooler is always a good move :thumb

I have a "PWR" transmission oil cooler (19mm thick) on my bike to replace the cracked OE cooler. I fitted a stainless wire mesh guard to protect the cooler fins but once I found a suitable location that cleared steering and front wheel its been good.

http://www.interex.co.uk/motorsport/shop/index.php?cid=154

Hoses were these http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/silicone-hose-shop/fluoro-silicone-hoses.html angled and straight.

Back
Top Bottom