Helmet advice "Shark Evoline"

Shark Evoline

I had a look at one yesterday, and i kinda like the idea. Apparently they have tested it as an open face and as a full face.

On the second point, i am not so sure that Mr Plod can say anything about riding with a flip face lid 'flipped' open. As long as the chin strap is fastened, you are complying with the law.

I had a evoline 1 good helmet but the visor jamed closed not a good thing every whare else it was grand. I think the problem has been fixed on the 2. Incindently you can ride with the chin bar up on this helmet most other helmets are not type approved for this and that is whare plod get intersted. JJH

Last edited:
I had a look at one yesterday, and i kinda like the idea. Apparently they have tested it as an open face and as a full face.

On the second point, i am not so sure that Mr Plod can say anything about riding with a flip face lid 'flipped' open. As long as the chin strap is fastened, you are complying with the law.

Quite correct.:)

I've had one for almost two years. It's a heavy helmet but is also one of the most comfortable ones I've ever worn. I thought the weight may be too much on a long trip but I've spent ten hour days in the saddle with no helmet discomfort. Yes, the visors do get stiff but it's important to lubricate the sealing rubber with a silicone compound which is supplied with each helmet, together with instructions of how to do this. It has got one of the best visors I've come across as it's virtually impossible to get it to steam up. No need for Pinlocks here. the drop down sun visor is also very good. I do use mine in open face mode and it's very well balanced.

I'd certainly buy another when this one is worn out.

HTH.

PS The five year guarantee is useful too.

Thanks

couple more questions

is it possible to flip the chin bar while ridding ? or down

how much tubulance is there with the chin bar up

Thanks

Jim:thumb

I tried one - too heavy. Bought a Shoei, which is a better helmet in every way. I think you'll me disappointed in the quality after using a Mutlitech.

The weight bothered me, not so much because of the comfort, but the extra force it puts on your neck in an off.

I would just ask the Babylon if they don't have something better to do like catching burglars or shooting middle lane hoggers.

I've got one and it's good. The open/close mechanism from full face to open face was a bit stiff when I first got it and the instructions were poo, which led to me scratching the lid before I'd even worn it on the road by trying too hard with the flip mechanism, causing a 2mm (ish) scratch at the rear on one side, which is annoying but doesn't affect it. I should touch it up but never get round to it. Once I got the knack of opening it, it's easy peasy.

It is heavy but you don't feel it in use (a bit like a GS :D ) either closed or open. Very comfy. Visor only steamed once as I recall and that was in monsoon conditions (had to stop riding it was so heavy - couldn't see :eek ). Internal visor is grand. I use it much more often open face than I ever thought I would. Nicely balanced.

I strangely find it quieter than my Shoei Raid II, although flips are traditionally considered more noisy :nenau

You could flip from open to closed while on the move but I wouldn't recommend it - the chin bar flips up past your line of vision before resting behind the main part of the lid. I don't think you could do the opposite - in my experience you must use 2 hands to free the mechanism from open face back to full face. Just stop for 5 seconds.

Turbulence wise, I haven't noticed much when riding open faced, but can't say I've ridden that way at constant speeds of (say) 90 mph+ when it may get a bit more turbulent.

I can switch between open and down easily and safely on the move, and do so all the while...good helmet, I would get another.

+1 :thumb

I have the evoline 2 and get on with it very well. Opening and closing the chin bar is a knack you learn reasonably quickly and personally I will open/close mine on the move - obviously not a silly speeds in the twisties but on a straight bit of road no probs. One thing - on my lid it was a bit stiff to open and close at first and seemed to need more force than you would maybe expect but maybe that was just learning the "Knack" of opening and closing it.
Mate of mine has one too and likes his - his only complaint is the inner sun visor has scratched but he admits he didn't check it for dust/grit so probably a common problem with internal sun visors - mine is fine after he warned me:augie

probably get one at a good price at the show at Excel if you are going. Also a good place to try one alongside any others that may call you - ROOF do a similar lid that is tested and approved as both full and open face, even says boxer on the side:)

http://www.roof.fr/products/product.php?id=44

~jav

Yes got my last Shoei at the bike show for £250 which was a bit of a bargain just as well the show is always crap :blast

im working that side of London so may well pop in and try and get a bargain.

on my shortlist is
Schuthberth c3 (new one out soon so will be discounted)
Shark Evoline (ideal for my commute)
Shoei multitec (huge reduced due to noetec etc )
Roof (may be)
Schuberth S1 (may be)

Jim:thumb

Moved to a Evoline 2 from a Schuberth C2.

I's impossible to overstate how convenient it is to move from a full to open face in an instant - even on the move. I now ride more miles in open face mode than full.

If you've money to burn and enjoy riding with a sail on top of your head then it's Schuberth.

Not a light helmet but not a problem as far as comfort goes. Evoline 2 is, [for me any way] even more comfortable than the C2 and that was good.

Any forehead pressure can be relieved by removing a small pad under the lining. Unlike the C2 specs have to be removed to put on.

Buy online, wear for an hour and exchange should things get uncomfortable or you don't like it.

All day comfort and instant open/full face conversion: Evoline.

Way better value than a C3. Two helmets in one.

I have one. It is heavy and digs in a little on my forehead.

I wouldn't use it on a sports bike as its very noisy (wind rush). But obvioulsy thats not as noticable on the GS.

I do like the built in shades and the flip back chin guard. Its my favourite helmet for the GS.

I've recently got a Roof. It's a bit different as I've always had a full face Arai.

This one is easy to use, fairly comfortable and safety rated quite highly both closed and open.

The chin bar can be raised and closed whilst riding but I'd recommend closing at a standstill.

I'm quite happy with it so far.

Apparently the early ones couldn't get the chin bar over the visor in a certain position, but that's been rectified on the new ones. Also the new ones are supposed to be a lot better designed than the old ones.

Worth a look.

The "knack"

Flytoolow - had mine a few weeks now - re "the knack" - there are three parts to that at least.

1. When in open face mode you have to pull the bar back/away from the shell to release it, then flick it over your head.
2. The visor must be fully open to change mode either way (took me a while!)
3. When closing to fullface, make sure it clicks into place on both sides (and visor is up or it stops it completely)

Good helmet - well made and easy to fit Scala headset to it. Sunvisor excellent here and I can put it on/take it of with my specs on (but I do pinch my head/stretch the shell in the process!)

I registered mine online for the 5 year guarantee; cost me AU$500 (£330!) here - has the "special" AU/NZ1698 sticker that adds 50% to all helmet prices for us in Australia.

Not tried it in the rain - we don't get much (usually) here in summer......

A

Good helmet , brilliant design but very noisy on the open road but overcome by using ear plugs.

I've had one of these for the last 3 years or so, yes heavier than the Shoei but the difference is You can have it open or full face any time (and it's legal both ways) Don't ask me why but there's more noise in full face mode rather than open face

Evoline 2. Good helmet. A bit heavy. Very versatile. It does fog up a little so you do need to put some anti-fog on it. It is noisy but I wear plugs so I don't really care.

Back
Top Bottom