Honda Crosstourer

I have thought about changing my '02 R1150GSA for the past three years. Toured all the dealers looked at the expensive shiny metal, cringed at the trade in value & laughed at the "well it is nearly 50K miles so you should change it now"

Each time I have come back cleaned my bike and thought "why?" It's never broken down and left me stranded its all sorted for touring and I can service it myself. It's staying put right next to the RSVR Factory I bought for sunny days, (with lots of change left over for tours sunny days and taking the kids out).:rob:rob

A lot of people have been lulled into paying for maitenance they dont get (machanics know what is needed, but BMW set standard rates for servicing so they change you for work not done) and work that may simply not be needed.

A GS engine has had 80 years of german development, basically they are simple and very easy to maintain. Change the oil every 10,000km and not much is going to go wrong with them.

My gs now has close to 70,000 km on the clock, the week part is the battery, 3 in 5 years, I've canged the final drive ali once, a 30 minute job, set the valves twice, in the time it takes to drain the oil properly. Checking back pads, etc is visual and easy as is replacing them, just down laod the "how to" bits off of here or ADVrider, forget the manuals like hynes etc. crap.

I watch and waited (3 hours) BMW service mecahnic servising my bike while under warranty, a single guy actually spent less that 28 minutes actually doing stuff with tools directly on my bike, he had 3 other bikes on lifts on the go also, I got charged a full 3 hours for my service. never again.

I'm no mechanic, although I am an engineer, but its basic following of instructions, do it twice and its in your head.

My point being that a BMW flat twin can be a very cheap bike to own.

And I have a full record of my GS cost to prove it.

honda had single sided swing arms on the RC30 in 1987 and on the VFR750 in 1990, so they are not new to it.

Maybe you should quit the sweeping generalisations until you know what you are talking about

I know that, but I think you will find they were chain driven, I am talking about shaft drives and earlier mentioned single sided shaft drives so why don't some of you fucking pricks read first and shoot later.

I know that, but I think you will find they were chain driven, I am talking about shaft drives and earlier mentioned single sided shaft drives so why don't some of you fucking pricks read first and shoot later.

I stand by my comment that you talk a lot of shite, mainly based without foundation

BMW have been producing single swingarm shaft bike for over 30 years without major failures, in comparison to units sold

Maybe you should follow your own advice and spare us from your unsubstantiated bollocks.

i was actually coming to the conclusion that your posts were starting to contain a bit less less crap in them.

looks like i was wrong on that.

Ive found it, my ideal bike.

Well to continue this thread, I have now discounted the Crosstourer & the other possibilities & I happened upon this beauty.

Made in the Nederlands the EVA Track T-800 DCI
Deisel engine, mega economy.
Hand built by enthusiasts.
Looks the Dogs, Kinda Star Wars.

Web linky
http://www.dieselmotorfiets.nl/informatie/

I love it & will have one.

Piccy's below

track-t-800cdi-diesel-motorcycle01.jpg

track-t-800cdi-02-640x516.jpg

track-t-800cdi-diesel-motorcycle03.jpg

T800CDIside.jpg

T800CDI_Diesel_Motorcycle_a.jpg

Track_T800CDI_Chassis.jpg

TrackT800CDi_Naked.jpg

EnginView1.jpg

So, Ive been thinking about a new bike. Its not that Im unhappy with my trusty 2001, 1150GS, single spark, Non servo ABS machine, but it is incredibly heavy & the spares prices are exhorbitant & the fuel ecconmy not up to that of many modern bikes. I may still keep it though & do a full on restoration, as I think its a classic model. But I do have an itch for a new steed & have been floundering until now.
Was first thinking F800GS, good fuel econnomy, lighter & with good off-road ability. However, chain drive, poor build quality from BMW recently & still got the problem of expensive spares. Then thought Triumph Tiger 800, beuatiful looks, brithish marque & off-road capability. But V-poor fuel consumption, chain drive & reliability issues. Thought about the new watercooled 1250 GS or the new Tenere adventure but dissmised them for one or another reason.
By chance came accross an ad for Hondas new crosstourer.
Bit ugly, but ticks many other boxes of my needs. Watercooled, maint free shaft drive, big enough to tour but not too heavy to pick up. Spoked wheels & longish supension travel to give the kind of minimal off-road ability I need (basicly, roughish public roads). Hondas uber reliability & fuel consumption around the 80 mpg mark. I also like the dual clutch option & the traction control as standard.
Wondering what you folks think.

Link to site here:-
http://www.hondamc2012.com/bikes/concept-v4x-2/

Spyder.
We all know that BMW's arent perfect, but I wonder what percentage of the bikes sold actually break down or need to have bits replaced. If you were using the forums as a reference point,you would think that absolutely every bike sold has broke or had stuff replaced/looked at. Wonder what % age of bikes actually go wrong

Does anyone know???

There have been several threads about the diesel Track over the last few years. I love the look of the thing, but would be wary of shelling out on a bike from such a small manufacturer.

We all know that BMW's arent perfect, but I wonder what percentage of the bikes sold actually break down or need to have bits replaced. If you were using the forums as a reference point,you would think that absolutely every bike sold has broke or had stuff replaced/looked at. Wonder what % age of bikes actually go wrong

Does anyone know???

Dont get me wrong. I like BMW. And I believe them to be uber reliable, hence my comment that I will probable keep it. And I agree, that if you base your choice upon forum info you would never venture out on it.
That said, I do believe that BMW quality is not as good as it once was. However my 2001 has been pretty-much faultless. Only probs I have had was battery failed (the original, which was some 7 years old) which was cured by fitting an AGM type.
& a rotting of the Brembo front caliper, causing seal to bulge & caliper to stick.
Although Ive not owned it from new, I believe its still on the original clutch & final drive bearing @ 70,000 miles.

Regards
Spyder
A BMW fan & of most things German :ronno

There have been several threads about the diesel Track over the last few years. I love the look of the thing, but would be wary of shelling out on a bike from such a small manufacturer.

I know, I know. But Ive allways been a bit of a maverick. I remember-many moons ago- owning a full power, grey import V-Max, when there were very few of them in the country, even the emasculated official ones. Boy I loved that missile. I wont bore you with the epic saga of all the things that went wrong & how I overcame them, except for. Once, coming back from Flappit rally I noticed rear end felt a bit wierd. Put it down to tyre needing some air. carried on for 15 miles or so home. up on centrestand checked rear wheel. About an Inch, yes an inch of play, the bearing had failed utterly, but it still got me home.
The point being, although a RPITA at the time, I learnt a good deal through diagnosis & repair/remedy & would not change that for the world. And this was in the days B4 you could look up this kind o thing on T'nternet

Regards
Spyder

I have no worries about reliability with the Honda and it does not fill me with dread like any new BMW, not wanting to go over the many common faults that the 1200's have (and still do suffer from) but basically I am nervous about my BMW with 15k on it, whereas I could happily buy a Honda (or the Tenere) and ride 10k per year for years on end with no worries of exploding drive train systems etc.

I have almost given up on finding a bike as good as the GS and if it were not for shite reliability and expensive servicing I would not even bother to ride the Honda, but I don't trust BMW to bring out a new model that is reliable, and even upgrading to a twin-cam involves known reliability issues / expensive servicing / essential need to pay for extended warranty every year etc. so I will have to choose another bike and it will either be this Honda or the Yamaha Tenere.

Just out of interest has your GS ever broken down?

Just out of interest has your GS ever broken down?

Nothing that required recovery, a few things have gone wrong (and if it was not for my AUB warranty it would have been over £1,000 of work on a bike that had not covered 15k)

But IMO it seems highly likely if I keep a GS for any length of time / much past 20k you are highly likely to need an FD, and I already carry an FPC around as it is also highly likely to fail at any time.

Don't want another BMW reliability firefight, but personally I (very regretably as I love the bike) have little faith in BMW reliability & support and a lot more faith in Honda / Yamaha.

Nothing that required recovery, a few things have gone wrong (and if it was not for my AUB warranty it would have been over £1,000 of work on a bike that had not covered 15k)

But IMO it seems highly likely if I keep a GS for any length of time / much past 20k you are highly likely to need an FD, and I already carry an FPC around as it is also highly likely to fail at any time.

Don't want another BMW reliability firefight, but personally I (very regretably as I love the bike) have little faith in BMW reliability & support and a lot more faith in Honda / Yamaha.

What went wrong that cost £1,000?

Although I still have my F8GS, I actually also took delivery of a new Crosstourer last week and I am mightily impressed so far !

I was looking for a bike to haul us down to Italy next year and as much as I love the 8GS, doing long motorway miles isn't its forte.

Originally road tested a K13s and K13R and had almost put a deposit down on the S but I got totally screwed about by the local BMW dealer in Dundee so the following day I test rode the Honda. I was actually blown away by the torque and flickability of the Crosstourer, so much so I put a deposit down on a black one when we got back from the test !

Since picking it up and finding more about it, I really am impressed by the ride and the build quality.

I will still use the GS for commuting and short runs to the West Coast but for longer runs the CT will be the beast to use.

I didn't look at the Triumph because I have had previous experience of owning one and wasn't impressed. I also think the Triumphs look unfinished.

I wouldn't touch a Boxer engine with a bargepole (sorry!) having hired one for 3 weeks in New Zealand a couple of years ago so until the CT came out there wasn't much choice.

There is now !!

P1030675a.jpg

P1030671a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom