Honda Crosstourer

The scales say the Crosstourer is heavy, but ride it and the weight disappears and with a slightly lower seat height than my 1200GS, I can get my feet down more securely so it’s not a problem.

Seems same gets said for many bikes, gives the press monkeys a clue as to what to put in their reports, instead of riding them and judging.

My Tenere feels easily as light as the GS, don't even find it any more difficult to shove up the drive.

I also tested a CT expecting it to feel very heavy, but again on the move it did not feel much bigger / heavier than the GS.

Also the GS very low claimed weight is for a dry bike, with no battery and no extra's such as ABS / Computer and all the other stuff most owners add, whenever you see a GS put on the Scales it comes out way over the official figure (like 20+ kg over) whereas the Honda and Yamaha seem to be pretty close to the manufacturers figure with 5-6Kg.

Not that it matters much once on the move - unless your off-road where I suspect these figure do count for more.

I've joined the CT club :aidan

Now where's the CT sub section please Paul? :bow

My panniers too :thumb2

(if only they'd arrive :blast)
Givi, along with the whole of Italy, will have only just gone back to work after their summer holidays. I'm waiting for production of the Airflow screen to start - as you've probably gathered by now, the standard Honda affair is no better than the standard GS screen.

Seems same gets said for many bikes, gives the press monkeys a clue as to what to put in their reports, instead of riding them and judging.

My Tenere feels easily as light as the GS, don't even find it any more difficult to shove up the drive.

I also tested a CT expecting it to feel very heavy, but again on the move it did not feel much bigger / heavier than the GS.

Also the GS very low claimed weight is for a dry bike, with no battery and no extra's such as ABS / Computer and all the other stuff most owners add, whenever you see a GS put on the Scales it comes out way over the official figure (like 20+ kg over) whereas the Honda and Yamaha seem to be pretty close to the manufacturers figure with 5-6Kg.

:jes:jes

You read some bollox on here don't you:blast

First Long Trip on the CT

Right thats us back from the Applecross, roughly 500 miles round trip from Fyvie to Grantown, Spean Bridge, Lochcarron to Applecross then the next day up to Ullapool and then home.

We had planned to go North a bit further on Tuesday but it was absolutely sh1te weather so all we wanted to do was come home in the sleet and 6 degree temps, we left home in 17 degrees so didn't take the usual winter wear !!

Anyway the bike was absolutely fantastic. Wife told me off for going too fast for the first leg to Grantown and I must admit it was far too easy to go too fast, but I retuned the brain and was fine after that.

The seat is the best I have ridden as a stock item for years, so we are both happy to keep it for the long tour next year.

The bike did everything that could be asked of it and more, we both got off at the end and absolutely no aches or pains evn if the crappy weather.

The road to Applecross was testing but we both passed.

Going to have to do it all again when the weather doesnt resemble November, pishing cold rain and a howling gale trying to blow us off the tiny road !

Only black spot was me getting it out of the garage on Sunday and trying to turn it around on the chukkies, ended up dropping it on my leg, badly bruised toe and gravel rash on my elbow and hand ! The we found out I lost my wallet somewhere after the Heather Centre, despite numerous calls no sign of it till we got home just now, answer machine message from Aviemore Police to say it had been handed it there !

So overall the bike was the star, its the owner needs sorting !!

Overall I was really impressed with the bike and now can plan the 2013 trip to Austria with confidence !!

apple4.jpg

apple3.jpg

apple2.jpg

apple1.jpg

Okay does nobody read about other problems? Seems like one poor guy has major problems with his CT and the big H are ignoring it. Smacks of BMW (out if warranty) attitude! Just a thought!

I'm not sure where your figure of 80 mpg comes from but if you replace that with 40 - 45 mpg, I suspect you'll be closer to the mark.

I know someone thats got one, gets 75mpg.
Has to be one of the most boring reasons to buy a bike I have ever heard.

I know someone thats got one, gets 75mpg.
Has to be one of the most boring reasons to buy a bike I have ever heard.

Getting between 45-50 as an average, better than I expected and do expect it to use more than the GS did.

Anyone getting 75mpg must be going downhill at 30mph in top gear. LOS

Crosstourer

Was beginning to think I had the only Crosstourer in Europe. Had mine since end of June. So far ridden 4,000 miles, including a trip to Dubrovnic and back. Never seen another Crosstourer on the road! Overall I am very pleased. As for 75 mpg, impossible. My mate was on his GSA twin cam and we rode at circa 90mph, when on Autobahns etc. The GSA used slightly less fuel than the Honda. Just to even things up the GSA needed liberal amounts of engine oil and mine has never used a drop. On the handling front I am very happy with mine but it took some sorting out adjustment wise. I do really miss the convenience of the BMW ESA system.

I have added an MRA screen and Givi crash bars, both of which are superior to the stock items. As the Honda luggage is absolute shite I had a second hand pair of Givi panniers adapted to fit my bike. Currently awaiting the arrival of a set of Krauser alloy panniers. The stock tyres are showing little sign of wear (4k miles) and so far I have experience zero mechanical or electrical problems. Fit and finbish is excellent. I can easily ride 500 miles in a day with no leg ache or numb bum. I never seem to keep my bikes for long but this one just might be the exception. However, the new water cooled GS might be a big temptation subject to the ever present BMW reliability issues being sorted.

Bobster

What adjustments did you make to the suspension.

Plenty like myself are struggling to come to terms with the Honda front end after years of BMW ownership.

Only got my CT a month ago done 2k but very impressed with the power and finish. Managed to get an average of 49.7mpg on a 990 mile run a couple of weeks ago. Can get 230 miles out a tank and has all day comfort

Cheers

Mika

Good gracious, there's another Crosstourer in Derbyshire!
You're right, Bobster, they are a very rare sight.

Crosstourer Suspension

Bobster

What adjustments did you make to the suspension.

Plenty like myself are struggling to come to terms with the Honda front end after years of BMW ownership.

Only got my CT a month ago done 2k but very impressed with the power and finish. Managed to get an average of 49.7mpg on a 990 mile run a couple of weeks ago. Can get 230 miles out a tank and has all day comfort

Cheers

Mika

On collection I was advised by the dealer to turn the suspension to the highest settings, both front and rear. Bad idea! I set tyre pressure to 36 lbs front and 42lbs rear. As I recall there are 16 clicks from soft to hard on the front forks. I selected middle setting + 1 when sole and + 2 when loaded. Rear shock on middle setting. Worked well for me. I am a tossers sized 17.5 stone in weight and I suppose this does affect things. I noted that my mates GSA, when fully loaded bounced up and down two or three times when stopping at junctions. The CT didn't and all things considered it was fine in the wet or dry. Compared to the GS the ride is still slightly on the hard side but very comfy.

My fronts are set at 3 clicks up from bottom soft. But what really gave me the greatest improvement in my front's feel is when I added a 1 3/4 inch Handlebar risers from SW Motech. Probably the increase in height and angle softens the feel.

IMG_9026_zps547814a0.jpg

IMG_9023_zps7165e8e2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom