anyone had a GPZ500 ?

turnipbmw

Reaction score
just bought one with only a couple of hundred miles from new (1998)

seem to have a strange attraction to low mileage older bikes.

past few years I've had,

400 Superdream with 2900 miles

Monster S4 - 90 miles

F800R - 530 miles

R100RS - 11,000 miles

TT600 - 1900 miles

never understood why people bother but I'm not complaining or judging:augie

GPZ

Many years ago i had one. Cracking little twin cylinder with not alot to go wrong really. Very underated bike by the public but the press seemed to rave about them.
Quite a small bike if i remember ( but i am 6' tall)

Probabaly worth a punt if there is not much wrong with it as i dont know how available spares would be these days.

Great little bikes. My older son Peter bought one 5 years ago when he turned 17. He didn't want to ride a 125 so he got the GPZ500 with the 33bhp restrictor kit. It still managed to keep up with my R1100GS most of the time. After he'd trashed it for a couple of years, his younger brother took over. He bought a spare one from a breaker for spares as both of them learnt the hard way how to ride them and bend them.

Spares are very easy to find from most breakers. Finally got rid of the bikes last year but we all have good memories of the bikes.

Had one for a short while then passed it on to a mate, great little run around, never failed, went for years

Bought the wife a GPz500 after she passed her bike test. Lovely bike but 2weeks later she found she was pregnant.

Just be careful :D

My mate Gee has toured all over Europe on his gpz500, it never ceases to amazes us how well it goes, for gods sake don't race him, you will loose he knows no fear at all :eek:

We had two of them for the wife, initially an early version on a K plate which we bought off a mate with only about 10k on it, but once I modified it enough for her to get her little legs to reach the ground, we bought a late 02 plated one with about 1900 miles on it.
Great little bikes,she just wishes she could still ride one, but after some pretty extensive surgery she just can't reach forward to the bars any more. So it's back to a 535 Virago for her this year, hopefully she'll be riding again soon.

yes my other half prefers her virago - took a look at the GPZ today - 199 miles on the clock, amazing !

My sister bought one new in 1996, but has sinced clocked up a rather staggering 16,000 miles.

I find it a little flat below about 7k and after that it pulls quite well, but has a very defined "powerband" (Using the term power rather loosely) the handling is bouncy suspension coupled with slightly vague steering and skinny tyres but somehow I find it good fun to thrash about on.

In 16 years it has never missed a beat (if you ignore the alarm she insisted on fitting that has been replaced once and knackered a few batteries over the years)

Good value first big bike / commuter hack.

First big bike I bought after passing my bike test. H Reg. Did 12k in the first year before I had to make the choice between keeping bike and 4 wheels. Couldn't afford both on my modest salary especially given the insurance £ hikes at that time.

Rear shock was rather soft but otherwise a fun bike which was more than capable of touring.

GPZ

Yes, my sons first bike and a cracker. His mum and him drove to Bristol for it and back from Embra in one fell swoop. I got up in the morning and booled it up for him. Came up like a new pin and the smile on his face made it worth it. He loved it. Moved then to zzr600 which was a dog! Very fond mammaries of the gpz. Go for it! You wont regret it!!

I'd an N plate one for a couple of years. Used to thrash it up and down the M4 between Bristol and London every day for over 6mths of that so it was well 'used'.

Ran it with BT45 tyres, covered it with gunk each winter and kept the oil clean - apart from losing a chain on the motorway and replacing a stuck thermostat it didn't miss a beat in about 60k miles and was cheap to run.

Not the sort of bike you fall in love with, bit vibey especially around town and as mentioned, the back shock is pants but for a work horse, it performed well :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom