Then and Now Images

I have been a watcher of Shorpy Higginbottom's site for some time now

http://www.shorpy.com/

There are hundreds of photographs of urban and rural USA from the end of the 1800's onwards and it is brilliant stuff.
Most of the photographs are taken on glass, the full size photographs are wonderful and the detail is amazing.
With the advent of Google Earth you can occasionally go to street view and compare the same thing today.

I am not suggesting that this is in anyway a substitute for visiting the site in person, but it is pretty cool for for people like me who have an interest in things like this and will not be touring the USA any time soon. Besides, the Google vans have not visited some of the tiny gold villages and they are not likely to; which makes the OP's photographs even better

For example, the Town hall at Louisville, Kentucky, now and then.

louisvilletownhall.jpg

Open full screen and pan out using ctrl & -

louisvilletownhall2.jpg

Zoom in to see the people standing on the street corner in 1906 using ctrl & +

louisvilletownhall4.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Some who were at the UKGSer do at Kesh a while ago will remember this.

RAF Castle Archdale, 1943 - a 423 RCAF Sunderland on the slip

...and the same view today

(Thanks to James C for the pix)

Attachments

• 423 ac on slipway.jpg
    423 ac on slipway.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 610
  • DSCF0330.JPG
    DSCF0330.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 593
Nice one sfarson some lovely photo's keep em coming

Norrie:flag

Nice images Hamster and shuck raider. Excellent.

Another batch...

Pagosa Springs 1920...
pagosathen.jpg

Pagosa comes from the Ute indian word "Pahgosa". The chamber of commerce says it means "healing" waters. Uh huh. The more correct meaning is "smelly waters".
lol.gif
Indian tribes would fight over the possession of hot springs. Back before there were nice hot showers, these kinds of places had serious appeal. To build up the downtown area, the San Juan River was relocated south about 100 yards, near the sulphur hot springs, which are behind me (I could not back up any further). In front is the downtown today...
pagosanow.jpg

Rangely in NW Colorado in the 40's...
rangelythen.jpg

Rangely today...
rangleynow.jpg

When the last residents of St. Elmo rode out (literally) on the last train before the line closed, the abandoned buildings were left on their own. In 1930, a few decades after the place became a ghost town...
stelmobuildingsthen.jpg

After another 80 years, some occasional care has helped them withstand the elements...
stelmobuildingsnow.jpg

Redcliff was founded in the 1870's during the heydays of the silver rush. It is named for the red quartzite cliffs surrounding the town. How it appeared in 1910...
redcliffthen.jpg

Redcliff today, situated today alongside the great U.S. 24/Tennessee Pass, and at the western end of the dirt Shrine Pass road...
redcliffnow.jpg

There's definitely a LOT more trees in the states now than there was 100 years ago.

i thought trees consumed CO2 ? - must have been 'really' hot back then ;)

Brilliant pics. Thanks for posting them :thumb

Found then paused at the old Florissant Grange today. The school in 1884, with notably, a couple of two wheeled enthusiasts...
florissantthen.jpg

And today, 3/6/12...
florissantnow.jpg

Great pix of Creede CO. Took 11 guys through there a couple of years ago on Bilco's 2010 US tour and the 149 is brilliant ride even though it was wet and with huge thunderstorms :thumb

Aidan1150 will remember it as that is where his 1150 FD failed:blast

I don't think I'll ever forget that one Chris. ;) :nod

Sounds like CO 149 was memorable in more ways than one! That would be one removed place to have a final drive go south.

It was a slow ride along 149 until we got to South Fork where me and two of the other lads changed the bearing and seal Sfarson. The three of us had a fine ride to Pagosa Springs on 160 after the repair though. :)

From an early spring ride in the Rockies earlier this week, pausing in the town of Morrison, just west of Denver.

The Morrison school in the late 1800's...
morrisonschoolthen.jpg

I think it is a residence now...
morrisonschoolnow.jpg

Bear Creek would rampage through Morrison periodically after heavy rains would soak the canyons above town. The dam at Evergreen ten miles to the west put a halt to the unruliness of the water, but not before this flood 80 years ago, with mud the photographed aftermath...
morrisonthen.jpg

The tamed stream is behind me in this "now" pic...
morrisonnow.jpg

Hey, a few more. Paused at the motorcycle destination spot of Deckers today. Great riding in every direction. Gold medal fishing abounds in the Middle Fork of the South Platte here. Saw some rainbow whoppers snacking on natural flies as I strolled along the river finding where the photographer stood long ago. There's a fly shop (Flies & Lies) here. The river and dirt roads of 100 years ago have been rerouted. Most of the structures are gone as well. Oh but those hills remain unrerouted...

Facing north, the river and road crossings of Deckers back then...
deckersthen.jpg

Climbed the hill overlooking Deckers in the motorcycle gear. Could have scrambled a little higher to the rock the individual is sitting on, but would have been amidst a dense stand of trees...
deckersnow.jpg

It actually was quite the idyllic place back then. Good fishin', good game in the forests, etc...
deckerscottagesthen.jpg

And you know, the fishin' and the huntin' remain good, as does the ridin'. A guard rail and a seriously big tree nearby prevented me from a slightly better perspective...
deckerscottagesnow.jpg

And one could even refresh in a lithia bath back then...
deckersbaththen.jpg

Today...
deckersbathnow.jpg

The old Deckers post office and store was to the north of today's structures. Can see it in the first old image above, across from the large dark building...
deckerspostorethen.jpg

Just an empty and small grassy field, with a hillside more populated with trees (very typical nowadays)...
deckerspostorenow.jpg

More great pictures :Motomartin

I'm surprised with these old wooden buildings how much original stuff seems to remain after all these years :)

A few more. Had a great ride looking for an old ghost town the other day. West Creek (Near Pikes Peak) flared to life in 1896 with claims of gold in the area. Fortune seekers swept in, erected a scattered town along the namesake creek, and within six months 2,000 people were there. By late 1897 it was recognized there wasn't "gold in them thar hills", and the fade began.

Here's an excellent eight minute video from Douglas County on the history of what is now known as Westcreek (single word)... Landmark Series - All That Glitters, West Creek Colorado on Vimeo

West Creek around 1896-1897...
westcreekthen1.jpg

In two months (June 2002) will be the ten year anniversary of the massive Hayman wildfire, which consumed 138,000 acres and numerous scattered homes in the Westcreek area. Today, it is a quiet place, but what a diff versus 1896-1897...
westcreeknow1.jpg

1896-1897...
westcreekthen2.jpg

Today, with a delightful power pole. There was a home behind me preventing a more elevated and precise "where the photographer stood then"...
westcreeknow2.jpg

So the Uly brings me about a mile south along West Creek where a few structures of West Creek "suburbia" were placed...
westcreekthen3.jpg

Guess it is fitting to have horses of the day stand in tribute to the past. Could have hopped the fence and joined them for a slightly better "now" perspective...
westcreeknow3.jpg

Hey it's been said before but.......
Great thread, seriously I think there
could be a really good book in all of this,
keep em coming :thumb

Back
Top Bottom