Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat 16th pre-tunnel accommodation

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Sat 16th pre-tunnel accommodation

Okay. I'm staying overnight in the Folkestone area the night before travelling to meet the entire group in Harzé so let's have a thread about that!

Tripadvisor reviews suggest the best hotels in the area are the Pemier Inn & the HI Express which lets you know what a relative dump this corner of Kent is!

I've used the HIExpress before. It's fine but it is on an industrial park next to a big Tesco. No alternative places to eat or drink within a sensible walking distance so I'll be looking elsewhere.

So, as rooms seem to be going quite quickly for that Saturday according to booking.com I've decided to plump for the Best Western Stade in Hythe which can be booked with "free cancellation" and no upfront payment by following the link given.

I've used this hotel before a trip with Wapping. A bit tired around the gills but okay for the price. Car park at the rear - not secured but out of sight and the paranoid can chain their bike to the fire escape or other ironwork.

Decent pub (The Hope Inn) a 5 minute walk away or the Stade has a choice of British or Indian menus.

Anyone else joining me or have a better suggestion that won't cost more than Ł50 for B&B? As said above, I can cancel this room by clicking a link, for free if there is a better offer going...
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post
    Okay. I'm staying overnight in the Folkestone area the night before travelling to meet the entire group in Harzé so let's have a thread about that!

Tripadvisor reviews suggest the best hotels in the area are the Pemier Inn & the HI Express which lets you know what a relative dump this corner of Kent is!

I've used the HIExpress before. It's fine but it is on an industrial park next to a big Tesco. No alternative places to eat or drink within a sensible walking distance so I'll be looking elsewhere.

So, as rooms seem to be going quite quickly for that Saturday according to booking.com I've decided to plump for the Best Western Stade in Hythe which can be booked with "free cancellation" and no upfront payment by following the link given.

I've used this hotel before a trip with Wapping. A bit tired around the gills but okay for the price. Car park at the rear - not secured but out of sight and the paranoid can chain their bike to the fire escape or other ironwork.

Decent pub (The Hope Inn) a 5 minute walk away or the Stade has a choice of British or Indian menus.

Anyone else joining me or have a better suggestion that won't cost more than Ł50 for B&B? As said above, I can cancel this room by clicking a link, for free if there is a better offer going...

have one possible option before resorting to hotel, as my usual B&B is full for that night...should know in the next day or so , if that falls thru happy to keep you company...I am booked on the 07.20 train

Quote Originally Posted by russ996duke View Post
    have one possible option before resorting to hotel, as my usual B&B is full for that night...should know in the next day or so , if that falls thru happy to keep you company...I am booked on the 07.20 train
    that gives you a window to catch a train up to 09.20 without penalty, so no need to forego breakfast...
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Prob know help , but a couple of years ago I stayed in a hotel in folkestone , huge place , right on the main rd , there was a really good Indian rest next door sorry can remember the name but was good value for money had triple room for Ł54 with breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie B View Post
    Prob know help , but a couple of years ago I stayed in a hotel in folkestone , huge place , right on the main rd , there was a really good Indian rest next door sorry can remember the name but was good value for money had triple room for Ł54 with breakfast.
    Are you sure it was in Folkestone or a couple of miles to the west? Only the BW Stade has an Indian restaurant next door, well, down the corridor from the bar...

Here's a pic of the frontage. Does it ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post

I've booked in to The Best Western Stade with the same thought as you, can cancel if a better offer comes along
    Out of sight parking is good enough and as you say can allways chain the bike to something if need be.
    Looking at the website now, all of the singles are gone. Anyone else from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Podrick View Post
    I've booked in to The Best Western Stade with the same thought as you, can cancel if a better offer comes along
    Out of sight parking is good enough and as you say can allways chain the bike to something if need be.
    Looking at the website now, all of the singles are gone. Anyone else from here?
    Always worth checking other booking sites or ringing the hotel direct as booking.com will only have an allocation of rooms, plus some people may cancel.

Couldn't get into that one

Booked in here instead

Quote Originally Posted by Joybringer View Post

Booked in here instead
    The 4.5 mile walk to the Hope Inn for tea will do you the world of good

Good grief, no. I have a man to do that sort of thing...

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Booked in here instead
    Gerry and I are booked in there too-apparently
    A cab into town for a meal shouldn't break the bank between us, wonder if they will give us a discounted rate as we'll have a "senior citizen" with us
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

We used this place last October, they let you park the bike in their back garden. Good breakfast too.

www.wycliffehotel.com
    Ian.

If you can't be good, be careful

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    Gerry and I are booked in there too-apparently
    A cab into town for a meal shouldn't break the bank between us, wonder if they will give us a discounted rate as we'll have a "senior citizen" with us

Sorry Steve - forgot I made the booking

Have my head up my ar5e lately...

Sorry Steve - forgot I made the booking

Have my head up my ar5e lately...
    Ha ha, make sure you tell the headhunter where it is...
    Why PLAN when you can play it by BEER

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Ha ha, make sure you tell the headhunter where it is...

Good point. Had offer today. Need to consider over t'weekend.

OK, looks like I will be overnighting at a friends place not very far from chunnel, thought they might not be at home that weekend but all turned out well after all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast