UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score

Attachments

• 2012 Photo Rally gpx.gpx
    4.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 2012 Photo Rally.doc
    85 KB · Views: 179
Thread stickied as is now customary Gerry. :thumb2

An interesting looking rally again this year. Looking forward to getting started.

Big thanks to all including gerry (fecker :D) and mike lorcan and claudia

And the 200 of yis thanks fer not laughing much : blast :D :aidan

Big thanks to the cute comedy bollix for leading me round today

Roscommon fermanagh cavan and leitrim - pics when figure out how from here

Found. out from lucky signal at derrylin no work till thurs guess what im doing. ahem. :D

DSC_0050.jpg

Holy trinity fermanagh

Have to get that done this year. Enjoyed the 14 or so I done last year, but arsed about too much and left it late to submit my entry

cute hoor decides to have a rest at derrylin :D

SAM_0961.jpg

SAM_0963.jpg

SAM_0968.jpg

boathouse at coole longford/meath

SAM_0967.jpg

SAM_0960-1.jpg

tarmon abbey liatroim

SAM_0958.jpg

sun tried to make appearance but failed :tears

SAM_0957-1.jpg

SAM_0956.jpg

enough already :D

SAM_0951.jpg

rickety oul' shoite and a bridge...derrycahill roscomain (no way i was parking on there)

cos of this sign so :D

SAM_0948.jpg

ps :jes aidan evil git

down louth antrim cavan tomorrow

Whats a photo Rally?

This looks like a bit of fun and encouragement to get out on the bike a bit more which can only be a good thing. So for my benefit (and maybe other numpties like myself:p) is it possible to explain what a photo Rally is in 2 or 3 sentences including the actual aim of the rally, how it is set up and how much work it would be to compile and keep tabs on. I guess folk can start as early or late as they like between 2 dates and the idea is to visit as many of these sites as possible in the period or do you have to answer questions about the destinations or have your photo taken etc... I think something like this for Scotland would be fun however for 2012 most of the Scots will be celebrating the Jubilee:hide

I dont want to hijack this thread so replies can be on a pm.

Many thanks in advance.

AndyT:cool:

There are a number of predetermined landmarks you ride to each one in any order, take a pic of your bike and the landmark and when you have them all you send them to GerryC who passes them on to the 'judges' :) Then in the February of the following year you head off to the presentation evening.

Full details in the Word doc posted by Gerry.

It's a good laugh.

Dave

The 2011 Photo Rally awards were presented last night in Glasson.

And a good night it was too :thumb2
Well done Gerry & Lorcan for the night & another Rally. May it be half as good as previous ones :beerjug:
And the Defender Of The Midlands actually turned up for something :augie Get well soon Frank.

Glenboy & I are riding to Enfield to have a look at a set of wheels for Richie before forcibly removing Hairnut from the local cafe & heading for the centre of the country.
Although we're staying down the road we'll drop into the hotel first to grace youse with our presence & watch a bit of the rugby while munching a sandwich or two :D
And that's pretty much how it worked out. Grey & cold most of the way except for the last 30 clicks which were wet. But we were safely ensconced in front of the telly when the worst hit ;)

Breakfast was a bit later than planned this morning as Mein Host went out after we arrived back and I've no idea what time he arrived back, suffice it to say he wasn't on top of his game this AM. As soon as we were finished Fergal headed off to keep another appointment and The Eating Machine & I set off for our first point. As soon as we walked out it started to spit & kept it up, on & off, for most of the day. It was that light rain where ya wouldn't think you're getting wet but when you're riding through it...
Back inside & on with the oversuit. Even though the Rev-It is fairly waterporoof it weighs three times as much when it's soaked :(

A quick run past Athlone & we were onto boreens, some nice ones but generally mucky & dirty. When you see the amount of flooding in the area it's not hard to understand why.
No pics until I saw these lads having breakfast:
P4160002.jpg

When we arrived at the first point there were already 3 bikes there. Gerry Casey & 2 other lads from Cork were 'bagging' it before they headed south. Once they were finished we got out chance. People often speak of themes in the Photo Rally & this year it definitely seems to be 'water'. Apart from the rain each of the points we visited were over or beside water, although you can't see it in the pics of the second location.

#23 Roscommon: Derrycahil bridge (over the River Suck):
P4160014.jpg

What's he doing now ?
CopyofP4160007.jpg

R roads brought us to Roscommon town, then N61 almost to Elphin & more R roads through Carrick (the only place we had traffic all day) & on to the point north of Leitrim town.

#22 Leitrim: Tarmon abbey (on the shores of Lough Allen):
PhotoRally2012009.jpg

(Not too many options for different perspectives here Gerry :))

Oh feck, he he comes again :
PhotoRally2012014.jpg

From here we took the R200 across the top of the lough. I've ridden some of it before and it's a cracking run. Thirty odd kilometers of twisty road with good surface & no traffic :bounce1 This was followed by local roads to the Rally point.

#6 Ferman/Tyrone: Holy Trinity Church (beside Lr Lough Erne)
PhotoRally2012024.jpg

Before Belturbet we stopped for fuel & food and then hightailed it down the N3 & then the N55 in order to get to the next point before we lost the light. On the way it started to rain again, only harder this time, and I was beginning to think I should have stayed in the restaurant and had apple crumble & a pot of tea :augie

#7 L’ford/W’meath: Boathouse (on Lough Derravaragh)
PhotoRally2012028.jpg

We had originally hoped to get the Dublin / Kildare point too but it was getting dark and Mark had the opportunity of a bed in his Uncle Pats in Granard so we parted company in Coole & I headed for Edgeworthstown & the main road. I could have found a shorter route but I don't know the roads and the lights on the 12's are sh1te so I opted for the 'easier' route. And it would have been easier if it hadn't been for the half asleep cage drivers :( but I took every opportunity to get by them (as you only can when you're travelling on your own & you don't have to worry about losing your buddy) & made good progress. I turned off the old N4 (or whatever it's called now) at Broadford before passing through Allenwood (where I noticed the waypoint for #9 off to the right) & arriving home about 7.

A good day out, if not always the best conditions, for a touch over 400km and 4 Photie points to get the ball rolling :cool:

how much work it would be to compile and keep tabs on.
Only the bould GerryC knows that. It's either very easy, or he's very good :D

.....how it is set up and how much work it would be to compile and keep tabs on.....
Many thanks in advance.

AndyT:cool:

Hi Andy
It's a lot of work & it's not a lot of work depending on your perspectives.
Finding good sites as defined in the Irish event is challenging but enjoyable.
Getting it off the ground will be the toughest bit but once you get going it is easy if you have many generous colaborators (as I & my key colaborator Shortlegs do) who keep their eyes open while out for a spin & feed you potential sites. Log those sites on Mapsource & check them out. Keep an eye on local news items - statue unveiled, old building restored etc etc etc & expand your data base. It takes a little time, but if you enjoy it you don't notice it much.
Define your rules - the fewer the better - & go for it.
Problems: - lots; closing date & the "dog ate my photographs" stories; there are more but are best cirumvented as they arise in a spirit of optomistic improvisation.
Surrounding yourself with an informal support structure is vital; have some one running the website (as we do) apart from all the other research officers (many on this site), people who help with a presentation cermony (probably the most challenging bit).
Keeping it lighthearted is also a key move IMHO - it's about fun; if you take it too seriously you suqeese the spontaneity out of it.
Time does not permit a full discussion here but PM me if you wish & we'll take it from there.
The rewards: - it will not make you materially rich but stuff like this turns up: -
902.jpg
The smile on her face on getting a special award (a certificate) was priceless. The smile on everyone elses face when Hairnet got a special award for worst presentation was memorable.
Go for it.

Omeath done That is a top piece of road headed down from newry to the 113 then left up the.mountain best surfaced boreen ive ever been on and the back road back into newry along the river is ace too

Going strangford now then ballymoney maybe the antrim point too if its.not dark

Gerry I love you :D

.......Gerry I love you :D

Err .... Um.... great stretch in the evenings .... not long now till Paddy's day .... do we need an ould referendum at all .... terrible weather in England .... pity about the rugby but Wales were better (but lucky) .... must take the dog for a walk .... err .... um .... what's that you said?

:comfort :D

In ballymoney now after monster fog in down from castlewellan to strangford

Planned on ballynahinch cross country to antrim but fog killed that so headed to belfast then out to antrim

Is it sad I knew me way thru felbast without stopping

Cavan louth down done

Antrim derry donegal tomorrow

:comfort :D

In ballymoney now after monster fog in down from castlewellan to strangford

Planned on ballynahinch cross country to antrim but fog killed that so headed to belfast then out to antrim

Is it sad I knew me way thru felbast without stopping

Cavan louth down done

Antrim derry donegal tomorrow

If you want to meet for breakfast tomorrow in coleraine let me know. Fair play to you!

Back
Top Bottom