1991 Yamaha XT600e

(RIP) DitchWater

I fell ill once...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a fairly good looking bike for a fair'ish price but the seller tells me "it seems to have a knocking camshaft" for which he will give me a 25% discount (which is £300). TBH. I might have given him close to his asking price if it looks as good in the metal as in the pictures when I get to see it.

So the question is, if anyone knows, what the score with sorting out the top end?

I'll do some research later but I have to go out to the pub now so, if there was any help here for when I get back you'll get a :beerjug: smiley from me. :thumb

Would you not be better getting one that was running perfect:nenau

you have to decide if the owner knows what he is talking about or not

if he doesn't - it'll probably be cam chain related like a tensioner or blade

if he does - then the head could be worn

thats the gamble - the fact he's offering you 300 quid off may mean he does know the problem and thats half the price hes been quoted for fixing it and can't be bothered

your move :)

Hey Ditchwater why not have a Look see at this one...Ready to rock good clean bike just MOT'd and got the big tank too???

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291918

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Would you not be better getting one that was running perfect:nenau

Yes, but I was wondering if I could save some dosh and do it myself. The other thing is, a 20 year old runner could have problems as well...things I'm not familiar with. There is another one I have seen for around the same money (£1100) but not as good looking.

you have to decide if the owner knows what he is talking about or not

if he doesn't - it'll probably be cam chain related like a tensioner or blade

if he does - then the head could be worn

thats the gamble - the fact he's offering you 300 quid off may mean he does know the problem and thats half the price hes been quoted for fixing it and can't be bothered

your move :)

You're right. I need to put my magic screwdriver on it and have a listen myself. It claims to have 18000 miles of use and doesn't look like it's be hammered. The owner is actually a dealer of some description: The sort that sells a lot of 2nd hand bikes from an actual shop, which is 250 miles away and it's bloody freezing here at the moment.

Hey Ditchwater why not have a Look see at this one...Ready to rock good clean bike just MOT'd and got the big tank too???

I'll have a think about this. I didn't know this was here. :thumb

More research needed and more bikes to consider. I'm after a bike for Morocco this year and one that doesn't weigh as much as an 1150GSA and is easier to pick up when I drop it.

doesn't matter if its got 18000 miles on it or 18 if theres no oil in it :)

and if its a dealer then i'd keep clear - they usually aren't stoopid.

and if you haven't even heard it running then forget it :eek:

doesn't matter if its got 18000 miles on it or 18 if theres no oil in it :)

and if its a dealer then i'd keep clear - they usually aren't stoopid.

and if you haven't even heard it running then forget it :eek:

Thanks. I needed that to ensure I didn't just dive in. :thumb

This bike's like an attractive whore: Pretty on the outside but you know it's been used and has problems.

I might look for an engine and some model specific advise and negotiate from there.

So Ditchy.......does this mean you aren't taking the GS to Maroc?

Is the GS in so many pieces that it'll take forever to put back together, so you need a.n.other bike for the trip?

Or is the GS R.I.P......?

Back
Top Bottom