B&B Cotswolds

Johnnymac

Reaction score
Hiya, I'm looking for a B&B in the Cotswold for one night in May. I'm in Coventry for work for two days on a Mon/Tues, then going to the BMW Off Roads skills for the Friday/Saturday. That leaves me with the Wednesday night and most of the day Thursday in the Cotswolds. Any ideas or thoughts? I'm fancying maybe a pub B&B in a small town/village, and decent food nearby or in the pub for the night. I've then got the Thursday to amble over to Brecon. Suggestions from you locals will be very helpful!
John

B&B

Hi, just had a quick think! Wheatsheaf, Northleach,is a treat for a couple of nights,just off the A40,which takes you to Brecon,just off the Fosseway which comes from Coventry,simples!

Check out Ebrington.

There is a B&B and the Ebrington Arms is great for food and beer:thumb2

Again - just off the Fosse.

I thoroughly recommend this one - we stayed there a few weeks ago - the owner is a biker and said there is space to park the bikes in a courtyard if you ask :beerjug: (we were in a car ... I can barely forgive myself but its true).

The village is very picturesque and a bit less touristy than most of the larger ones while having everything the visitor needs. Have a great time on the off-road course!

http://www.eightbellsinn.co.uk/

I thoroughly recommend this one - we stayed there a few weeks ago - the owner is a biker and said there is space to park the bikes in a courtyard if you ask :beerjug: (we were in a car ... I can barely forgive myself but its true).

The village is very picturesque and a bit less touristy than most of the larger ones while having everything the visitor needs. Have a great time on the off-road course!

http://www.eightbellsinn.co.uk/

Yup - great place. :clap

Ebrington is still better though :D

Thanks guys, had a look at places mentioned, and they look pretty good. Not been on a bike in the Cotswolds since 1982, so lookimnh forward to the trip.

Thanks,

John up in York.

Try to stick to B-Roads and unclassified roads as much as possible, main routes down here are quite dull (and typically congested) but the lanes are generally quite nice.

Depending when in May I might be able to take you for a run around the area if you like, or provide some routes, but to be honest the roads are much better in your own neck of the woods so you may just fancy sitting in your pub with a nice pint :thumb

If you end up in Ebrington or Chipping Campden drop me a PM and I'll pop over and join you for a :beer:

Was in the Eight Bells last night and it was busy and friendly.

Try www.myrtlehouse.co.uk or threewayshousehotel.com in Mickleton or www.badgershall.com in Chipping Campden, both the B&B's are great, the Hotel is unique (Pudding Club).

I go (from Mickleton) to Brecon via Evesham, Tewkesbury (A38), Gloucester (A40) Ross on Wye, head towards Hereford (A49) the turn off on the B4521 to Abergavenny then A40 to Brecon and enjoy some great fast twisty roads.

Fantastic detour through Taly Bont on usk over the Black Mountains if you have time.

Cheers,
Tony.

Try www.myrtlehouse.co.uk or threewayshousehotel.com in Mickleton or www.badgershall.com in Chipping Campden, both the B&B's are great, the Hotel is unique (Pudding Club).

I go (from Mickleton) to Brecon via Evesham, Tewkesbury (A38), Gloucester (A40) Ross on Wye, head towards Hereford (A49) the turn off on the B4521 to Abergavenny then A40 to Brecon and enjoy some great fast twisty roads.

Fantastic detour through Taly Bont on usk over the Black Mountains if you have time.

Cheers,
Tony.

Talybont on Usk is not in the Black Mountains. It's slap bang in the middle of the Brecon Beacons. The Black Mountains are near Hay on Wye.

There's a much better route to get to Brecon from the Cotswolds, avoiding some of the English trunk roads you list.

Stow on the Wold - Ford - Tewkesbury - Eastnor - Ledbury - Hereford - Abergavenny - Crickhowell - Brecon

For a Cotswold stay, perhaps Moreton in Marsh will suffice? A choice of pubs and the pick of the hotels is the White Hart Royal which has a courtyard at the rear to park the bike. Plenty of other options but few are cheap!

Your right, about the Brecon Beacons, Whoops!!, I'm not sure why I put the Black Mountains (close, but, no coconut) I was there recently riding up the Llanthony Valley to Hay on Wye and just made a mistake.

I have done both routes and the Eastnor Ledbury rout is great too.

Whilst there are trunk roads on my suggested rout, they are still great twisty roads, particularly the road from Gloucester to Ross if your looking to keep up a good average speed. I love the B4521 to Abergavenny though as it is a great road too.

Two good routes, spoilt for choice.

Your right, about the Brecon Beacons, Whoops!!, I'm not sure why I put the Black Mountains (close, but, no coconut) I was there recently riding up the Llanthony Valley to Hay on Wye and just made a mistake.

I have done both routes and the Eastnor Ledbury rout is great too.

Whilst there are trunk roads on my suggested rout, they are still great twisty roads, particularly the road from Gloucester to Ross if your looking to keep up a good average speed. I love the B4521 to Abergavenny though as it is a great road too.

Two good routes, spoilt for choice.

My house is about half a mile from the Abergavenny end of the B4521. I'm getting a bored with it :p

Back
Top Bottom