why so many new ones for sale

jackassdave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i have seriously considered a new xtz1200,but cant figure out why there are so many new ,very low milage ones for sale . ive got to be honest as most people on here ,have had many gsers in there time ,brand loyalty is a teribble thing .
i love the looks (which to me is important )of the bike and the colours (first edition blue /and white block), but cant figure out my reluctance to commit to one .
ill be honest ,and say it could be resale ,as ive had a lot of bikes ,just sold an 1150 gsa after two weeks ,and only rode it once ,just fancied a change ,so drop in resale value is on my mind (not a deciding factor though),ive yet to see a 1200 gsa for sale with under 2000 miles ,like most of the xtz .
i need a test ride ,having read big dens write is a good write ,fair id say. oops got to go the mother in laws here :mad:

Yamaha overpriced the bike rather horribly. As a result, there are deals to be had. Lots of the low mileage bikes will be dealer demos.

I picked up my 1800 miler for £7850 - fantastic value for money!

Yamaha have done a price "realignment" :rolleyes: also as said last years demo's are up for grabs, hell of a bike for 8K :eek:

i ,like thr est of anybody ,have read everything i could about them ,the people who actually have them ,love them (well thats what they say),but most bike magazine artciles ive read ,dont rate them as highly ,i know most bike mags are primarilly concerned with how fast is it ,can you wheelie it ,which is not my thing ..
i guess im (its me ) will allwats be comparing it to a gs ,which i know well ,and love well,but after 12/13 bmw s ,im looking for a change .
top speed im not bothered about as in real world terms ,we generally average 80 mph most places .
cant figure why im reluctant to go for it .

Well with the prices realisitc now i cant see them coming down any further, i susspect when the sun comes out they may well go up or firm up at least.
The S10 is very under rated and is not featured in many tests i have read in the uk press, now the Aus and SA mags love them along with the yanks now they finally have them, east europeans too. Front runners for smoking them about and farkleling are the Oz guys, some of the vids are eye openers.
So Aus/EU/SA and USA dudes are bollockin about on these and no one has broken one, also they are getting hard use some of these countrys are not big on tarmac.
I sat through 2 hours of a Nick Sanders chat last night and he admits his sponsers do not expect him to slag off their kit but he said he can genuinly say the R1 and especialy the S10 are ultra reliable with the S10 doing 51K with minimal servicing cos it didnt need it (his words) he also said he has to be very careful which bike to use for these record braking pursuits as if he fails he fails on many levels eg, no coin, sponsors may ask for it back ! his reputation and that of the manufacturer can be severely damaged. So bottom line he needs a bike that will not let him down ! he leant this the hard way years ago with Royal Enfield :eek:
The S10 is not perfect but it is a tough bike that goes and handles well, with reasonable fuel range, comfort and it will go offroad no problem. The engine is gruff and can be vibey (270 deg crank so designed in character :nenau), its also no fireball (wrong type of bike, prick journo's) suspension is very good quality and you have smart ABS/TC and two power modes.
For me reliability is tops, its not just that, its a comfort thing, i want to feel comfortable i can jump on that hoss and ride where ever i like and it will not let me down either in or out of warranty.
S10 is currently a sleeper, not much press here have bothered with them and continue not to (good) but they are slowly appealing to the guys looking to move to adventure bikes/tall rounders (growth market) and 51k of hard riding virtually none stop is not to be sniffed at.
I suspect they will end up like the KTM ADV (got a few issues itself) a small share of the market but with a dedicated following who will overlook any failings (theres not many)
I really hope mine is a keeper :clap

yeah i agree, ive had nearlly every trail bike going from aprillia tuareg 350 ,did thousands of miles on that ,to ktm 950 s ,cagiva elefants ,every one ,going ,so top speed is not an issue ,as it seems to be with most bike journos, .
first thing every one wants (or i do at least) is reliability, my africa twin ,never ever broke down ,so i trust japanese engineering ,granted nothing is full proof ,as we know from the gsers,final drive ,etc etc .
its giving up that badge i find hard .
yeah ive looked on the super tenere site,there doing graet things there ,any more tenere sites you know of .
my descion is not final yet (watch this space )

Best thing to do, is to try one.
Forget all the bad press and give the bike a chance by riding it, and see if it appeals to you.
I'm having one for lots of reasons.
The first thing is that it is so much better than I expected it to be, and IMO easily as good as the 1200GS twin cam, better looking, and plenty fast enough for me.
I've had 15 bee-ems and wanted a change.
I didn't want to worry about expensive extended warranties, and overpriced servicing.
I like the idea of supporting the "underdog", and fancy a move away from what I see as German dominance/ elitism.
If I need to work on the bike at any time, it seems pretty straightforeward.
And, oh joy of joys, the S10 has conventional switchgear!
All subjective of course.
Now where's my tin hat?

yeah i agree, ive had nearlly every trail bike going from aprillia tuareg 350 ,did thousands of miles on that ,to ktm 950 s ,cagiva elefants ,every one ,going ,so top speed is not an issue ,as it seems to be with most bike journos, .
first thing every one wants (or i do at least) is reliability, my africa twin ,never ever broke down ,so i trust japanese engineering ,granted nothing is full proof ,as we know from the gsers,final drive ,etc etc .
its giving up that badge i find hard .
yeah ive looked on the super tenere site,there doing graet things there ,any more tenere sites you know of .
my descion is not final yet (watch this space )

Adv rider mate, look under beasts :thumb2

im looking at the moment ,but im after one with black side panels ,theres a cheap(ish one in derby ,but its got silver side panels ,allthough im struglling to find a cheap one

£7850 by Tobers ! I need to go for bargaining skills !

MOTT motocyles in Basingstoke have 2 blue going for £9999 and 1 silver 2011 model going for £12499 ! Ouch. Only the silver has side panniers and a sump guard as extras.

£7850 by Tobers ! I need to go for bargaining skills !

MOTT motocyles in Basingstoke have 2 blue going for £9999 and 1 silver 2011 model going for £12499 ! Ouch. Only the silver has side panniers and a sump guard as extras.

And mine has black side panels & seat. Yay!

I reckon the Worldcrosser black carbon side panels will come on the market soon to sort all your side panel farkeling needs. They look much sleeker and crisper than the originals too.

There are no bad colours on these bikes but the silver wheels on the silver bike (or any other colour) dont look right :augie

Bought mine £7800 for George Whites two weeks before they went into administration 2011 bike with 1920 miles, blue/silver. Think white one looks best so spending 2k on respray and lots of farkling. Really looking forward to some long distance touring later this year. Love the looks,comfort and not read of one lettiing any one down yet. No not a Gs and not favoured by the press perhaps but then they rarely mention the final drive failings of the Gs either of which form reading the forums there are quite a few. Early daysfor the S10 and no bike is 'unstoppable ' but I think if the final drive fails you'll quickly do so and have experiance of one that did just that.

well sorry guys ,im going to get a gsa ,its not that i dont trust or think there great ,the teneres ,its just the gsa ,is what i know , but who knows i only had my last one two weeks before i sold it .
i will have a tenere,at some stage in the next 18 months or so ,and no ,i dont take any notice of the crotch rocket loving nobbos ,bike journos ..
but for know its a gsa ,,right wheres that touratech catalogue

Back
Top Bottom