Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Project Guzzi

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

GUZZI

Hi Rushy

My old bike is looking the 'dogs' agree with what you say on the motor. Good thread this, amazing how other forums don't seem to have the same banter n mix of machines, enjoy the bike in the coming fine weather, you don't want to get the new paint job dirty

Quote Originally Posted by bob the grizz View Post
    Hi Rushy

My old bike is looking the 'dogs' agree with what you say on the motor. Good thread this, amazing how other forums don't seem to have the same banter n mix of machines, enjoy the bike in the coming fine weather, you don't want to get the new paint job dirty
    Cheers Bob....Just trying to figure out if I should buy a Venture shield kit for a Norge to protect the tank
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

DRZ400-E Bright Yellow thing & '02 R1150GS Big Black Bling, '07 G650 X-Challenge .......all gone

Replaced by
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 4V...luvverly in black
    and 2011 R1200GS Triple Black workhorse

Hi Rushy,

That looks nice, thanks for comment on my silver (the faster colour) one..

One thought on the replacement handlebars, meant to mention it earlier, Guzzi did change the bars on the 8v model compared to the earlier 4v, to bring them nearer the seat and slightly less of a stretch.

A common mod on the earlier bikes was the replacement Aprilia or Renthalls etc, but not sure the same swap would acheive anything on your (and mine) 8v?

Having had a long demo ride on a 4v, I would say they succeeded in making the position much more comfortable, you may find the bar swap doesn't change anything, and you need to explore risers or something? I could be wrong of course, but don't go on advice from a 4v owner who's done the swap is all I'm saying, I find the position fine, and I'm no lover of bum in the air, stretched over the tank positions either, but that's just me..

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wavey_davey View Post
    Hi Rushy,

One thought on the replacement handlebars, meant to mention it earlier, Guzzi did change the bars on the 8v model compared to the earlier 4v, to bring them nearer the seat and slightly less of a stretch.

A common mod on the earlier bikes was the replacement Aprilia or Renthalls etc, but not sure the same swap would acheive anything on your (and mine) 8v?

Dave
    Thanks Dave I did, only recently, find out that ours have different bars than the earlier 4v models but like some 8v other owners i still find the long stretch coupled with the slightly odd width a bit of an issue for my back comfort. I have also noticed that 8v owners still seem to be doing a mod of some sort. I think I am going to try some Genmar risers first as bringing them slightly higher/nearer might be enough

PS Everybody knows that Stealth black is fastest, thats why the US Airforce paint em black
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

DRZ400-E Bright Yellow thing & '02 R1150GS Big Black Bling, '07 G650 X-Challenge .......all gone

Replaced by

Wavey

Is the silver as good as a certain blue mk1 LM ?

Currently In Texas but home is N.E. Scotland (Kincardineshire)
    This is a great thread especially as I'm going to be a 1200 Sport owner in the neat future. I have found the riding position to be just about perfect in the shop but havn't ridden one yet.

Keep it coming
    R100GS PD 1993
    Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport 2010
    Triumph 900 Scrambler 2014

Toyota FJ Cruiser 2014

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    This is a great thread especially as I'm going to be a 1200 Sport owner in the neat future. I have found the riding position to be just about perfect in the shop but havn't ridden one yet.

Keep it coming
    How soon is the near future then Andy ?

Replaced by

I finally got around to putting the new tank on her.

Taking the original tank off was a bit fun. First you take off the plastic radiator shroud ( 4 bolts , only just slips out without taking the mudguard off), then the 2 small sidepanels near the rear of the tank, separate both breathers & unplug the fuel pump, then one bolt and she should slide off . Thats if you can release the supposedly quick release fuel line connector underneath the tank. A weird looking connector that you kind of have to pull and push at the same time.

Tank off and the upside down , remove the large chrome and plastic front side tank mouldings that I guess are sacrificial in a fall , 6 bolts .

Then remove both breather lines , unbolt/unscrew the 2 breather spigots, unbolt and remove the fuel pump assembly and carefully extricate it ,the fuel gauge sender unit & fuel filter through the opening that definitely seems too small.

I had bought a new fuel filter to replace the original whilst I had it all out. However the filter, same as on the GS I think, is held on by some unusual 'one use' Oetiker clips.

So off I headed to my local friendly Honda dealer to see if they have anything suitable and came back with this box of Wurth goodies including the necessary tool to fit the clips. Big thanks to Roger from Crewe Honda.

I stabbed my self in the finger with a screwdriver getting the old clips off but the new ones were a doodle, always helps when you have the right kit.

Last job was to swap over the fuel filler cap onto the new tank. Here is the new tank next to the old one ready for the side sections to go on before fitting to the bike.

Replaced by

Finally here are a few shots of the bike as she now looks, v pleased with the result.

Any opinions on whether I should buy a new carbon effect Moto Guzzi tank pad as per the original tank or just fit some clear Venture Shield ?

Replaced by

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Finally here are a few shots of the bike as she now looks, v pleased with the result.

Any opinions on whether I should buy a new carbon effect Moto Guzzi tank pad as per the original tank or just fit some clear Venture Shield ?

Looks very good Rushy.
    I'd go with the venture shield if it's virtually invisible.
    Don't want to make it too bitty.

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Looking gorgeous!

Andres
    Supermoto's not a wheel size it's a state of mind......

Currently In Texas but home is N.E. Scotland (Kincardineshire)
    How soon is the near future then Andy ?
    Very :-)
    R100GS PD 1993
    Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport 2010
    Triumph 900 Scrambler 2014

Toyota FJ Cruiser 2014

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    “Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership”. RobZim

Quote Originally Posted by timeandtide View Post
    Looks very good Rushy.
    I'd go with the venture shield if it's virtually invisible.
    Don't want to make it too bitty.
    I Agree totally

Lot of time and effort and probably some expense
    getting it to look this good. Why hide it?

~ Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    Looking gorgeous!

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by longdog View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    I Agree totally

Lot of time and effort and probably some expense
    getting it to look this good. Why hide it?

~ Jav
    Cheers for the comments guys

I'm going to order a Venture shield tank kit for a Norge , they dont list my bike but the tank is the same. Adjustable footpegs are on the way over from the US, yet again they are for a Norge ....and then its the bar risers which I might order 2moro and some new tyres then thats the spending done for a while. Need to get out and ride her.

Replaced by

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Stunning, bloody marvellous!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast