Project Guzzi

Looking gorgeous!

Andres

Absolutely gorgeous!!! :beerjug::thumb

I Agree totally:thumb

Lot of time and effort and probably some expense
getting it to look this good. Why hide it?

~ Jav

Cheers for the comments guys:thumb2

I'm going to order a Venture shield tank kit for a Norge , they dont list my bike but the tank is the same. Adjustable footpegs are on the way over from the US, yet again they are for a Norge :rolleyes:....and then its the bar risers which I might order 2moro and some new tyres then thats the spending done for a while. Need to get out and ride her.:p

DSC08261-2012-03-24at16-40-24.jpg

Stunning, bloody marvellous! :drool :thumb2

Now this is the nicest looking bike I've seen on here for a long while :thumb2

Nice to see you yesterday Ian and can confirm the bike is better in the metal than the pictures, sounds great as well.
Wonder what a Stelvio would be like with the same colour combination....:augie

Rushy

That Sir is excellent work. 10/10 for fine detail work. Just popped in to see how you are getting on.
Time to enjoy it now. Remember to do the Italian thing and pose the bike for best effect. It will definitely stand out for all the right reasons.

Andrew

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Moto Guzzi board meetings over the years, particularly when they discuss the weirdly impractical detail which each model is required to have.

When my 850 LM was being planned, it was probably as follows 'We've created a great sporting motorcycle with a solid feel and weighty, masculine controls. Let's put a virtually-impossible-to-operate-with-gloves, tiny indicator switch with hardly any centre position detente on it, just to remind the rider that this is a Guzzi.'

For the 1200 Sport it was probably 'We've built a very capable, superbly handling sport tourer that really outshines most other contemporary stuff in style and character. Let's ignore decades of sensible instrument marking ergonomics and cram every graduation of the speedo and rev counter with tiny, ornate serif characters which are impossible to read, just to remind the rider that this is a Guzzi.'

Lovely bike in every other detail, though (and fascinating to see the fuel feed arrangements on these modern Guzzis), keep up the good work!

Handling is now pretty sorted

Managed to get out on the Guzzi 4 times in the past 2 weeks and I found that after putting about a thousand miles on the Fazer the month before I was much more 'bike fit' and less rusty from the winter lay off than I had been when I rode the Guzzi a couple of times in Jan & Feb. Plus the roads had been damp and cold earlier in the year and now they are much grippier. I really enjoyed riding the Guzzi (up to a point , which I'll get to in a minute) more than I had been.

This surprised me somewhat because I thought I would find it harder to switch to the Guzzi after using the Fazer a lot as they are quite different but this wasn't the case , just getting some road miles under my belt made it easy to adapt and ride around some of the Guzzi's slight foibles.

However, the handling was still not right and she was getting knocked off line badly all the time by surface changes/imperfections and banding/white lines. Roundabouts and tight corners were a proper threppeny bit affair and it wasn't easy to adjust my line in faster corners. As mentioned before I was hoping it was the shagged front tyre.

I fixed that today by popping into see Steve at F&B who had ordered in the new front I'd been promising myself.

BINGO - handling sorted :bounce1

Why oh why do I never learn from my past mistakes of trying to get too many miles from my tyres resulting in a really poor riding experience.:blast

Did a short 50 miles to scrub them in and its like riding a different bike, bloody brilliant for a fairly big girl. Roll on the summer :thumb2

Is that today then or tomorrow ? :bounce1

I picked it up today and the sun was out to celebrate. First impressions, very punchy engine, likes to rev, turns in VERY quickly and sounds gorgeous...

I think it likes to be ridden fast and as you say it can easily loose its line but very early days yet. The quality of the workmanship is very impressive and puts some other manufacturers to shame. Hopefully the sun will be out again tomorrow and I'll put a few more miles on her.

Oh and another thing the screen is perfect for directing flies at your visor:blast

AndyT:thumb

Attachments

• guzzi 1200 1.jpg
    guzzi 1200 1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 212
  • guzzi 1200 2.jpg
    guzzi 1200 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 230
  • guzzi 1200 3.jpg
    guzzi 1200 3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 226
  • guzzi 1200 4.jpg
    guzzi 1200 4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 225
Nice one Andy :clap:clap:clap

They are made really well aren't they with some classy touches;)

Mine turns in so much better now, it's great . When I bought her I thought it would be a nice lazy thing to cruise around on but she does quite like to 'ridden'. Only went for a local spin on some small B roads and fairly slow A roads and was surprised to see that the dash had logged my max speed at 106mph somewhere along the way.:eek

Enjoy :thumb2

I picked it up today and the sun was out to celebrate. First impressions, very punchy engine, likes to rev, turns in VERY quickly and sounds gorgeous...

I think it likes to be ridden fast and as you say it can easily loose its line but very early days yet. The quality of the workmanship is very impressive and puts some other manufacturers to shame. Hopefully the sun will be out again tomorrow and I'll put a few more miles on her.

Oh and another thing the screen is perfect for directing flies at your visor:blast

AndyT:thumb

Beautiful :thumb2

And a VERY special machine :)

Andres

I might have missed the exhaust de-cat bit. But if a new Y section is needed talk to XTreme Stainless at Hixon near Stafford. They do cars, bikes and - pretty much anything.

They did a great job of my new link pipes and very reasonable prices.

http://www.xtremestainless.co.uk/

Back
Top Bottom