Wearing Police Hi-Viz jacket?

Love the analogy.

Totally right - and I think after some thinking...

It was wrong of me to suggest that people should wear hi viz, I'd go edit the thread and remove that bit and the acronym if I could (help, moderator?? no edit of posts available?) it should be up to the individual concerned. It was arrogant of me (especially with all my inexperience) and so I offer a full apology (retraction) for that bit...

Though I am still interested in why people don't...

Dont remove it mate, it generates thought and dicscusion, as long as its fun and civil who cares. Someone may read it and decide to wear it or indeed not.

I think if people are honest they would say that it makes them lok learner like and a bit old fartish :)

Oh I think that after a time period you cannot edit posts :)

Last week when going slightly over the speed limit on my way home (in car) a white BMW with a guy in hi-vis appeared behind me, I took notice very fast and surprisingly my speed dropped to the speed limit fairly quickly.

The BMW rider would then have had an instant orgasm. (This is commonly known as a "TWAT"):p

Welcome:beerjug:

Here we go again ..... :popcorn

I've known colleagues that have been T boned with their HiViz on ....
.... and their two's blues

So ya can bollix with your HiViz ... I prefer to fly under the radar ;)

:beerjug:

If you want to wear it then do so and dont worry about what others think. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that you will be more visible but that still doesnt stop those silly bast**ds too busy to look because they are on the phone or worrying about their kids in the back.

... just proved my point; you overtook a vehicle with no idea what was in front of it; that equates to lack of observation on your part. Trying to blame your potential victim for your own ineptitude is mind-bogglingly arrogant.

I thought he'd already admitted that it would be his fault. But that the consequences would be born by the innocent party ........:nenau

I don't wear hi viz personally. But I do carry a vest in case of breakdown (of the bike, not me !) or really crap visibility. I've used it once.

If a rider is prepared to not try to improve his chances of being seen , it is his decision. If he gets hit, it isn't his fault but he hasn't done EVERYTHING to improve his chances. We know the risks and make those personal decisions based on our own perceptions of the risks. To each their own.

I do understand and share your opinion that many car drivers want to put the onus on us to ride about in dayglo to remove from them their responsibility to use their eyes. But then again, would you be happy if a car driver decided not to use their headlights in marginable visibilty as he hurted towards you at 80mph. You want him to do everything possible to make himself visible don't you ?

Like I said, i don't do hi viz - although my Streetguard suit which sees occasional use instead of my Barbour suit - does have reflective piping. But then again, I ride a bike with lights on. No auxiliary and no HID - they're overkill to me but to each their own ...... :augie For me, riding very defensively is my best protection.

But the black Ninja, on a black bike, no lights and riding at warp factor 4 and weaving in and out of traffic at speeds greater than the flow of traffic IS a danger to himself and others and gives us all a reputation for being assholes that pretty much every car driver I know has and which is why we'll never get a united voice and sympathetic ear from other road users.

Ride safe ! :thumb
Dave

I should have said that I do carry a Hi Viz waistcoat on the bike, I am/or used to be an observer in the IAM, when we do ride outs at the weekend the front and rear rider wear them, nobody else, and that just to help the others now who to follow etc.

The only time I have worn it by choice was coming back from London on the M1 in a horrible rain storm at 11pm on a cold November evening, the spray off the lorries was enough to not really want to be there. Anyway it made a good ride in the end, getting home quicker than going to london a few days before in perfect weather.

In 30 years of riding and having accidents, I can't think of one occasion that had I been wearing Hi-viz it would have saved my neck. It's getting worse now though with builders, bin men, truck drivers, lollipop people and council workers wearing them, that I don't think they have the effect that they once did. Whatever you wear, if you pretend your naked and no one can see you you'll probably last longer:thumb

I'll stick to my Black stuff :thumb

Where'd you get it and how much ... the people need to know....

As Luke Scott suggested, I also got mine from irishbikerforum - I don't think you'll be able to source these anywhere else, the chap selling them got the company who also make the Garda Jacket to do a special run for the same jacket only in Civvy spec. Price wise, I think it cost me around £100 but I kid you not, money well spent. Great jacket. Washable up to 25 times but I've had mine a year and a half now and it's only just had it's first wash. Folk on the forum do rant and rave about them and rightly so. The chap selling them, Gillier does I believe still have some for sale. If you join and PM him, he'll check and I'm sure would be more than happy to give you a price for delivery.

Link: http://www.irishbikerforum.com/foru...und-5/page__st__80__gopid__593033#entry593033

Wearing mine on the RT today:-

DSCN3863-1.jpg

Though I am still interested in why people don't...

Because you look like a complete and utter KNOB,
others (you may not care but lots do care) think most who wear yellow jackets out of choice are the kind of anal retentive morons they would rather not be associated with,
the riders of BMW are still trying to shake off the perception still held as to the sort of people riding Beemers and being a yellow jacket wearing knob just reinforces that perception,
HIVIZ is the reflective bit on the jacket not the yellow bit (thats just for people working on the roads) and you can have HiViz on any colour jacket without looking like a Knob,
Oh it dosent work particularly well in preventing accidents just makes you more visible which is not the same thing.
Have I said you look like a complete knob wearing one?

I have spent nearly 15 years wearing one almost every day, and thousands of miles a month, I all honesty I dont think it did anything except make me a target, and sweat like a barstweard in the summer, the ONLY thing it was any good for was keeping the worst of the rain off in the winter.

Because you look like a complete and utter KNOB,
others (you may not care but lots do care) think most who wear yellow jackets out of choice are the kind of anal retentive morons they would rather not be associated with,
the riders of BMW are still trying to shake off the perception still held as to the sort of people riding Beemers and being a yellow jacket wearing knob just reinforces that perception,
HIVIZ is the reflective bit on the jacket not the yellow bit (thats just for people working on the roads) and you can have HiViz on any colour jacket without looking like a Knob,
Oh it dosent work particularly well in preventing accidents just makes you more visible which is not the same thing.
Have I said you look like a complete knob wearing one?

I have spent nearly 15 years wearing one almost every day, and thousands of miles a month, I all honesty I dont think it did anything except make me a target, and sweat like a barstweard in the summer, the ONLY thing it was any good for was keeping the worst of the rain off in the winter.

Goodness, if you feel this strongly about people who wear yellow jackets on their bikes, I dread to think how you feel about folk who still wear shellsuits.

As Luke Scott suggested, I also got mine from irishbikerforum - I don't think you'll be able to source these anywhere else, the chap selling them got the company who also make the Garda Jacket to do a special run for the same jacket only in Civvy spec. Price wise, I think it cost me around £100 but I kid you not, money well spent. Great jacket. Washable up to 25 times but I've had mine a year and a half now and it's only just had it's first wash. Folk on the forum do rant and rave about them and rightly so. The chap selling them, Gillier does I believe still have some for sale. If you join and PM him, he'll check and I'm sure would be more than happy to give you a price for delivery.

Link: http://www.irishbikerforum.com/foru...und-5/page__st__80__gopid__593033#entry593033

Wearing mine on the RT today:-

DSCN3863-1.jpg

A nice run up by the 'Dark Hedges' near Armoy !! A decent day for it.
Was interested in the hi-viz jacket. Did you have to simply buy a bigger size to go over your own gear, or are the sized well as an 'over-jacket'. Have sent a note to Giller as well :beerjug:

Don't you just love intolerance in action ? :hide

If I understand Bowser correctly, wearing day-glo makes you an anally retentive knob ? I hadn't realised that that was a fact rather than his opinion:ronno

I work with a lot of people who don't wear hi-viz or day-glo who are anally retentive too - in my very humble opinion. Maybe if I say it loud enough it will make my opinion fact too ...........

Whatever happened to "to each their own" ?

Some people could pick a fight in an empty room :rolleyes:

justinguitar said:
I'd love to know why an experienced police traffic officer will not wear Hi-Viz. If they wouldn't wear it then there must be a damn good reason and I'd like to know what it is!

Well, you've had your answer - what do you reckon?

John

A nice run up by the 'Dark Hedges' near Armoy !! A decent day for it.
Was interested in the hi-viz jacket. Did you have to simply buy a bigger size to go over your own gear, or are the sized well as an 'over-jacket'. Have sent a note to Giller as well :beerjug:

Yes, first time along that road. Have seen so many photos of it but today was the first time I actually visited it. Was lovely.

I'm 6ft, 34-36" waist. I take a size XL Hein-Gericke jacket and wear this High Viz one over it. The High Viz one is size Large mind. Fits well over my Hein-Gericke jacket. I met Gillier before buying same to ensure I was getting the right size. Throughly decent chap. :beerjug:

I prefer to wear HIVIZ if it increases my chances of being seen. The roads are bad enough full of idiots not paying attention. If my vest grabs their attention then I don't mind. "Looking a knob" is far better for me than not being seen at all.

Besides I don't really care what people think about me.

I ride and presume everyone is going to do something dumb.

Lights on and not afraid to use my horn to let people know im coming.

ferrol.

I've known colleagues that have been T boned with their HiViz on ....
.... and their two's blues

Perhaps if the police wore all black you'd have known 6 colleagues that'd been T boned.
:popcorn

I used to wear a hi-viz jacket and I don't anymore. I've added reflective stickers on the bike, HIDs, etc. My black jacket lights up like a christmas tree when any light is shown on it. Had this discussion with someone in my Advanced group and you will find that many of the senior examiners (who are Police officers) in ROSPA or the IAM don't wear any hi-viz on their personal time. Hi-viz does give the rider a false sense of security IMHO. If you are taking the chance that someone will see you because you are wearing a yellow jacket and your in the wrong place to begin with then the old adage "assumption is the mother of fcuk ups". Except in this case being fcuk up means your dead.

Back
Top Bottom