Wearing Police Hi-Viz jacket?

justinguitar

Reaction score
So when I have been driving my car lately I've really noticed how much more visible the riders in hi-vis are. Strikes me a strange that more people don't wear hi vis, seems in my very unscientific survey that less than 1 in 10 riders I see around West London wear any hi vis at all... yeah it doesn't look cool, but SMIDSY ain't cool either. The "all black" mega cool dudes are real hard to see, even though I really look out for bikes I've had times where I've not seen them until they've been coming past me...

Perhaps we should have a new acronym: WABIAFT? Wearing All Black Is Asking For Trouble?

I hope this is not too sensitive topic, I'm only new here and not trying to upset anyone, just being new and a frequent car driver maybe I'm seeing things from another angle??

Question 1. If you don't wear Hi-Vis, why?

I planned on wearing one anyway, and as my old one has been stolen by my mrs, I need buy a new one.

Last week when going slightly over the speed limit on my way home (in car) a white BMW with a guy in hi-vis appeared behind me, I took notice very fast and surprisingly my speed dropped to the speed limit fairly quickly.

My GS is white so I thought the best way to get noticed is to get one of these (cheap too!!):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ex-Po...ollectables_Memorabila_RL&hash=item41628fe5c3

But then there is blue police style reflective stuff around the wrist and bottom, it says that all police badges have been removed...

Question 2: Might be a stupid Q, but this isn't going to get me in trouble for impersonating a police officer is it?

I read on another thread somewhere than any reflective blue or blue lights are against the law...

If it was me I would prefer the jacket you've listed without the blue chequered high viz tape around the bottom. I wear one the exact same as this - all white high viz reflexite tape/designed for motorbike/goretex/adjustable cuffs/comfortable around neck - no ugly epalutte holders/holders for radio etc. pure biking over jacket:-

imag0264a.jpg

Were ...

... "all black" mega cool dudes are real hard to see, even though I really look out for bikes I've had times where I've not seen them until they've been coming past me

... these wraith like figures on foot when you failed to see them ? If not then you need to hand your keys in to the nearest Specsavers and get on a bus, because if they were on MOTORCYCLES and you failed to see them, then you're an accident waiting to happen.

The wearing of Police Hi-Vis alone will not render you liable to a charge of Impersonating Police; unless you do some act or make a statement that gives the false impression that you are indeed a warranted officer with intent to deceive.

Should you wish to dress up as a Police Officer with a white bike, helmet, hi-vis etc and ride about enforcing your own 'zone', then my personal view is that you should be placed under a cathedral door and be crushed by having large rocks placed thereon; no offence :blast

Over here on wwwirishbikerforum.com one of the guys is selling the same jackets that Irish bike cops are wearing currently. Fantastic jackets and no problem from the gardai.

Attachments

• Garda%20Bike.jpg
    Garda%20Bike.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 10,705
... these wraith like figures on foot when you failed to see them ? If not then you need to hand your keys in to the nearest Specsavers and get on a bus, because if they were on MOTORCYCLES and you failed to see them, then you're an accident waiting to happen.

You're reaction is what I expected, and I get it and understand the frustration - I've been knocked off my mtb twice from SMIDSY or carelessness.

Actually only incident I can actually recall... rainy, dusk, black bike/rider, no lights on, A316, I over took a van was about to go back into the left lane. I looked before I changed lanes and saw him/her. Scared life out of me - was hardly visible against the dark hedges that line the road with a rain splattered window.

Now of course it is the drivers job to look, which I did (and re-inforced the importance of always checking), but in the conditions it was only the head check that saved what could have been nasty. Of course it would have been my fault, but blame ain't gonna help much after the event - and lights / hi-vis would have made the bike obvious while doing the overtake.

And lots of drivers in London don't do head checks or look out for bikes at all - which is my point.

You've ...

... just proved my point; you overtook a vehicle with no idea what was in front of it; that equates to lack of observation on your part. Trying to blame your potential victim for your own ineptitude is mind-bogglingly arrogant.

Hi-Viz

I'm sorry Justinguitar, but you will really still up a hornet's nest with this one.

My advice - decide to wear what you are comfortable with and makes sense to you. Please do not ask why folks do not wear Hi-Viz or why a sound and very experienced police traffic officer on this forum will not wear Hi-Viz when off-duty.

The arguments against Hi-Viz may be extremely convincing, but you might still might not be comfortable with the conclusion.

Good luck with your choice.

Hope this helps,

John

OK, so when you overtake a van you can see through it to what is in front before you start the overtake? Wow, I didn't realise we had x-ray vision man in the forum. Pleased to meet you!

In this instance it's a 2 lane road, so there was no pressure to pull back into left lane so looking at what was in front of the truck wouldn't have been my major concern when starting the overtake, perhaps it should have been anyway.

Perhaps you failed to read "Of course it would have been my fault" part - and I'm not being arrogant, I'm being honest!

I'm sorry Justinguitar, but you will really still up a hornet's nest with this one.

Yeah I'm getting that... I think this is a conversation I should have had with mates over some beers rather than making enemies here. It wasn't my intention.

Please do not ask why folks do not wear Hi-Viz or why a sound and very experienced police traffic officer on this forum will not wear Hi-Viz when off-duty.

I like to question things, that is how I learn, and I'd love to know why an experienced police traffic officer will not wear Hi-Viz. If they wouldn't wear it then there must be a damn good reason and I'd like to know what it is!

The arguments against Hi-Viz may be extremely convincing, but you might still might not be comfortable with the conclusion.

Appreciate the honest and friendly response John.

You really haven't grasped ...

... the concept of 'observation' have you; I strongly suggest you get some training before you hurt someone.

No problem with these ex Police Jackets if you have the Police Badging removed before wearing.

You could always get a bit more respect from cage drivers by wearing a white helmet and stencil 'Polite' across the back of it :D. Lots of people do that with their garage doors, where they want to discourage thoughtless people from parking in front of them - 'Polite Notice, No Parking'

Human brain reads first and last letters quickly and may read the word 'Polite' as 'Police'

I have one of these Goretex jackets and will wear it in the wet when the visibility if much reduced by spray, but I don't intend wearing it routinely. That may change of course if I get knocked off the bike by a SMIDSY driver. Also easier to wash that a normal bike jacket.

Unfortunately the average car driver, without the benefit of any biking experience, probably lacks the training and awareness to look very carefully for motor bikes. I know I am much more careful now driving a car having obtained a motor cycle licence. It was always bad enough with cyclists coming up the inside at junctions and cutting across you at roundabouts in Germany, where there are a lot of cyclists.

In all probability, the EU will make it mandatory to wear hi viz jackets at all times, within a few years time :blast

Grey Beard

... the concept of 'observation' have you; I strongly suggest you get some training before you hurt someone.

You are being a bit harsh. The poor bloke only asked a question :rob

He did ...

The poor bloke only asked a question :rob

... and then recounted his carrying out of a manoeuvre during which he endangered another rider. To compound this he then suggests the other rider should have been wearing Hi-Viz, as though this absolves him of responsibility for carrying out a safe procedure; I feel RoSPa, IAM or even Bikesafe as a minimum might enlighten him.

You are being a bit harsh. The poor bloke only asked a question :rob

+1:thumb No harm in asking:nenau

I always wear hi viz when i'm operating my JCB Telehandler

I mostly wear hi viz when i'm cycling on the road

I don't wear hi viz when i'm on my great big white GSA with a headlight that's always on and spotlights that are sometimes on......I also have a white Schuberth C3 helmet and my riding gear all has reflective material on it from my boots, trousers and jacket to my gloves.

If someone can't see a bike that's nearly as big as a car with all those lights and reflective gear then will they see my high viz jacket especially if i'm coming towards them and mostly 'hidden' behind the screen and fuel tank as well as the 'headlight dazzle'.

I've no problem with wearing hi viz but if some other road users have 'no viz' then maybe it's not going to make a great deal of difference when it should!

FP.:thumb

If it was me I would prefer the jacket you've listed without the blue chequered high viz tape around the bottom. I wear one the exact same as this - all white high viz reflexite tape/designed for motorbike/goretex/adjustable cuffs/comfortable around neck - no ugly epalutte holders/holders for radio etc. pure biking over jacket:-

imag0264a.jpg

Where'd you get it and how much ... the people need to know....

Woohoo, I bet you wish you'd never started this thread !

IMHO we should all be able to wear whatever we each prefer, Hi Viz or otherwise.

I know a paramedic who, whilst responding ,was knocked off his bike by a car driver who was changing lanes on the A1, lots of extra bike training, Hi Viz, stickers, bonny colours, lights and flashing blue lights, guess what the driver said ? " sorry mate, I didn't see you"

So what's next ? Will pedestrians be required to wear Hi Viz to make it a criminal act to run them over too ?

Hope you read the instruction properly " light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance "

I dont wear one because Id feel like a twat, simple as that.

I accept the risk that Im less visible, just like I accept the risk that when I fart I may poo my pants.

I also wouldnt question or judge anyone who does.

Each to their own :)

Everbody can wear what they like... unless looking like a police biker, there is absolutely no excuse for that, there is one that goes past our local bike meet, you should here the comments from all the other bikers :D

I dont wear one because Id feel like a twat, simple as that.

I accept the risk that Im less visible, just like I accept the risk that when I fart I may poo my pants.

I also wouldnt question or judge anyone who does.

Each to their own :)

Love the analogy.

Totally right - and I think after some thinking...

It was wrong of me to suggest that people should wear hi viz, I'd go edit the thread and remove that bit and the acronym if I could (help, moderator?? no edit of posts available?) it should be up to the individual concerned. It was arrogant of me (especially with all my inexperience) and so I offer a full apology (retraction) for that bit...

Though I am still interested in why people don't...

Back
Top Bottom