Slovakia and Hungary - okay for family?

Thanks for that Wapping, I take it from that diatribe that perhaps like me you have never been there, so can't offer anything useful. Not all of this parish are riding up and down unmade roads all day, or being what is called 'adventure riders'. I just happen to own a BMW GS, because it happens to be a damn good bike and I go touring because I have a physical handicap that prevents me from doing otherwise.

I am not sure you actually read it all, nor took in that I sympathised with your 'lLong days in the sadde' concern. Try reading it again.

No? Still no good?

All right. Here is the very brief version:

Ask the organiser where (and down what type of roads) he intends to ride for nine hours in the saddle for two hundred miles each day. We have no idea, nor can we guess what he means by nine hours in the sadde to go 200 miles any more than you can. In short: ask him, he knows.

Moving on. Me, as a bod who doesn't ride an 'adventure' motorcycle (so you are one step ahead already) or go up and down unmade roads all day in the heroic style, preferring to simply 'tour', I can (with absolute certainty) tell you that most of the roads are fine. Some perfect, some middleish, some less so. If you are happy with that (and think you can manage whatever the bod tells you he is planning to do) your next nine months will fly by. I hope they do. Let us know.

PS See this post for what I think is a reasonable rule of thumb on what a (non-Adventure) on-road-tour (on half sensible roads) involves:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3299499&postcount=6

It comes from this thread: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322434

Not the same part of Europe as you maybe plan on going, but the underlying intent is much the same. If you like, take of 50 miles from the 250, simply as it's the eastern side of Europe (and because you can) which will leave a reasonably comfortable (for me at least) 200 miles in a sensible day. It may not work for you.

Picking up on this old thread, cos next Sept (2013) I have the opportunity to join a group doing a tour de cols starting in south west Hungary, taking in Slovenia and ending in North east Italy. The organisers are planning on a 7 day trip of roughly 200 miles a day, but indicate it's going to be 9 hrs in the saddle everyday due to the routes they are planning. I have some questions as I don't know this part of the world at all. What are the roads like? especially in the mountain areas. Are they a good mettled surface /dirt/gravel/?? are they continually twisty? is it tiring riding? I'm hesitant because I'm not 100%fit, I'm not young anymore,(62) and poor road surfaces over long time/distance may not be sensible. Any usefull background info, hints, tips, advice would be welcome.

A 200 mile day hopping over Cols in the Alps and Dolomites can be tiring. However, there are often alternative routes using major roads that have tunnels to bypass some twistier parts.

As other riders on this year's trip will attest, I often took alternative routes to those suggested by the tour organiser. As long as you know where the next hotel is going to be you can always take a route over easier terrain and rendezvous later. Just make sure the others know your plans.

For me, I like to have company in the evening but when riding I like to be by myself or with one or two people who have similar riding styles.

Go on the trip. You will enjoy yourself but don't feel compelled to stick with the main group. Take breaks when you want them rather than be dictated by others e.g. I rarely take a full lunch break if I'm having a buffet breakfast & dinner in a hotel. An ice cream or bowl of soup (depending on the weather!) usually suffices. Others like to settle somewhere for an hour or two and have a full meal or visit a castle etc.

Due to my lack of physical fitness I find riding between 10am and 4pm is about ideal. That way you can let breakfast digest a little and have a little siesta or a swim before dinner. In Austrian hotels the tend to serve free cake & coffee between 4-6pm which is nice.

Have a chat with the organiser. I'm sure the routes will have some flexibility and on about 25 trips in the last 2 decades I've yet to be on a group tour where you are expected to remain in a peloton.

Picking up on this old thread, cos next Sept (2013) I have the opportunity to join a group doing a tour de cols starting in south west Hungary, taking in Slovenia and ending in North east Italy. The organisers are planning on a 7 day trip of roughly 200 miles a day, but indicate it's going to be 9 hrs in the saddle everyday due to the routes they are planning. I have some questions as I don't know this part of the world at all. What are the roads like? especially in the mountain areas. Are they a good mettled surface /dirt/gravel/?? are they continually twisty? is it tiring riding? I'm hesitant because I'm not 100%fit, I'm not young anymore,(62) and poor road surfaces over long time/distance may not be sensible. Any usefull background info, hints, tips, advice would be welcome.

Given your record on previous trips what with panic attacks and a burnt finger sending you home early you should maybe just forget it.

Back
Top Bottom