What MPG you getting

LBL

Reaction score
As the title says really, ive read reports of 34 to 58MPG

what are you guys getting in real terms, i ride to the Ardennes 2 or 3 times a month and at 90mph i get about 40mpg out of my 2010 GSA. I was thinking about an RT but i like the GSA too much in the twisties.

48.7 mpg. Computer hasn't been reset for ages. I use Super unleaded (97 RON). 2007 R1200GS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I take it we're talking about S10 mpg ? I am getting mid 50's from mine with a high of 62 ! I don't hang around nor am I redlining either. If i'm in Touring mode it seems to typically give 3-4 mpg than Sport mode. I'm pleasantly surprised with fuel consumption. Obviously if I was cruising at 90mph + I would expect quite a drop from that.

I bought the dealers ex demo 10 days ago and it was showing 53mpg.

Due to bad weather, I've only ridden it once doing 100 miles in the Yorkshire Dales. These narrow roads are a delight to ride on any bike. Making progress, using the gearbox fully and powering out of the bends gave me 47mpg according to the computer.

Riding like this on my 1200GS I would expect a similar mpg

Mike

I was at Nick Sanders talk at Ride on in Glasgow last week. He was asked this question and I was surprised when he said that riding around 70mph over distance he could get 70 mpg. If correct its quite impressive. I had a nose around on the web but there was nothing to confirm this or mention of figures over 60mpg.

As the title says really, ive read reports of 34 to 58MPG

what are you guys getting in real terms, i ride to the Ardennes 2 or 3 times a month and at 90mph i get about 40mpg out of my 2010 GSA. I was thinking about an RT but i like the GSA too much in the twisties.
Well on my F650GS I'm currently getting 56 MPG, in spite of the fact that I dont employ any devious tactics to make it even better, like no freewheeling downhills or any of that nonsense. My bike has 28000 on it and I have once seen 70 MPG, but that figure only lasted for 12 miles before it was back to about 56.
I reset my MPG today and havent ridden it today and its showing 46 MPG.

Last edited:
Well on my F650GS I'm currently getting 56 MPG, in spite of the fact that I dont employ any devious tactics to make it even better, like no freewheeling downhills or any of that nonsense. My bike has 28000 on it and I have once seen 70 MPG, but that figure only lasted for 12 miles before it was back to about 56.
I reset my MPG today and havent ridden it today and its showing 46 MPG.

Bloody hell if that is the twin I never get below high 60s mpg and usually 70mpg or more.

Hi

I reset my S10 ave about 160 miles ago and it is reading 44 mpg at the moment. mixed road riding some fast and some not so fast ;)

I think the onboard puter is a bit optimistic. Mine read 48 but I calculated it as 44. Varied riding, M25 in rush hour, hooning backroads to avoid the M25 in rush hour etc.

However due to the daft filler neck it's a bit difficult to get a completely consistent fill level so I may be wrong.

running in ?

Bumping an old thread, no point in a new one is there....(?)

Running the bike bike in, so its only got about 300 odd mls at this stage.

filled it up Saturday, done a "two up" round trip pver the weekend ( which was great!!! :thumb) but only managed 190 mls til I had to pull in for juice.

Q1
Obviously the engine is still at the running in period but what are folk getting to a tank ?

Q2
Also, if the bike is at the same rev's in "T" or "S" mode do you get the same mpg rate - is that a silly question ?:nenau

I will monitor as I go....But for the foreseeable couple of weeks I will be commuting so not a true read compareed to a round trip with no stops.

Over a 2000 mile trip to France, Spain & Portugal, I averaged 52mpg based on the dashboard computer. That's all in Sports mode with my remapped ECU, fast riding loaded with camping gear & suchlike.

Only had mine a short while and over 1600 miles, set in touring mode it currently reads 55.6mpg and when I had the GS I never got more than 52mpg............:thumb

I've got ~50mpg ave on the dash, cant recall when last reset. I tend to measure it in miles per tank/reserve. Max I've had was 262miles to a tank inc using all of reserve and I usually see between 40 to 50miles on reserve before engine starts stuttering. When I have ran it nearly dry i've managed to get just about 22.3litres all in so suspect theres about 1/2 litre of the claimed 23litre capacity that can't be used.
PS I think I'm moderate to heavy on the rh twist grip as my current K60 is 1/2 worn at just over 2.5k miles so not likely to get to the stellar miles some report those tyres can give.
Note once it starts to stutter I've found it doesn't have very much left until it dies so carry some spare fuel if your planning on testing the range limits as pushing could be fun.

Tks lads.

@ Iainmac: Thats some breakdown, i get ya. I tend to work out mls per tank too or to reserve. Still only a fresh engine so will wait till 600 mls on first service til I start riding it on good and proper. Its not far off that now. Weather hasnt been great and it gets dark early. Not ideal conditions but the S10 is lapping it up :spl1f:

:) I also meant to say if I'm kicking round the doors/urban slow use the reserve range seems to be at the low end ie 40miles and if its motorway/60 limit stuff its upto 50miles . if your spanking it expect to get less as I tend to back off a bit if trying to stretch the range, usually as it means not filling up before I get home (tend to keep a spot in a reserve can in the garage if I need a top up to get to the petrol station).

Back
Top Bottom