RoSPA vs IAM?

Ross Dean

Reaction score
I expected this question to have been covered but did a quick search and found nothing specific so ...

I want (and need!) to get some sound advanced riding training. I passed my test some five years ago and have covered over 50,000 miles since on six bikes. My riding has deteriorated and its time for some training.

I quite fancy RoSPA as there is a requirement for a re-examination every three years but have also heard good things about the IAM scheme.

Any thoughts?

This thread asks the very same question ;)

For what it's worth I believe the IAM are looking into bringing in an additional test which will require a re-test every three years.

Bob

I expected this question to have been covered but did a quick search and found nothing specific so ...

I want (and need!) to get some sound advanced riding training. I passed my test some five years ago and have covered over 50,000 miles since on six bikes. My riding has deteriorated and its time for some training.

I quite fancy RoSPA as there is a requirement for a re-examination every three years but have also heard good things about the IAM scheme.

Any thoughts?

There is nothing stopping you from doing both as you never stop learning and there is no such thing as the perfect ride. The important thing is you have recognised that your riding has deteriorated and your need for advanced training is necessary.

Good luck

Cliff

Also bear in mind that both RoSPA and IAM training is based on the same principles...and it is not uncommon to find that some of the Observers/Senior Observers are involved in both organisations in some areas of the country. Certainly the examiner who did my AIM test also does RoSPA testing - 'coz he told me that my ride was RoSPA Gold standard - not that I'm poud or anything. :JB

Best idea (if I may be so bold) is to go along and visit your local IAM affiliate and RoSPA groups a couple of times and see where you feel you fit in best - it's as much about the social side as the riding training in my view. :beer:

dont know much about rospa, did join iam straight after passing my test about 14years ago, i think its kept me alive and really enjoyed it:friday

I think the main point here is that you have identified the need to get training. Who does the training is less of an issue as both institutions achieve the same thing IE a safer rider, using the same methods.
Maybe it could be as simple as finding out who is closest to you.

Your most important mission Ross (and I really really mean this!!) is to find a good observer or two.

That and probably that alone will be the one thing that will open your eyes and heart to your potential.

IAM or RoSPA? That's not your question. where can I find one or two top quality observers that'll take me under their wing.

That's your dilema ..... :thumb2

Your most important mission Ross (and I really really mean this!!) is to find a good observer or two.

That and probably that alone will be the one thing that will open your eyes and heart to your potential.

IAM or RoSPA? That's not your question. where can I find one or two top quality observers that'll take me under their wing.

Nice point!

...... Some peepes complain that one observer suggested this, while another suggested that. That one had this style, but the other had that style..

Going out with good but maybe slightly different styles is also useful. Rather than seeing it as confusing, pick the good bits you like from this guy, and the good bits you like from that guy ....

Soak it all up ... :thumb2

Problem is that in most IAM groups an observer is not assigned until after you have paid for the IAM training. The standard of observers can vary considerably.

Not sure how ROSPA works.

There is nothing stopping you from doing both as you never stop learning and there is no such thing as the perfect ride.

That's what I did, and I am a member of both organisations. Though I haven't done any training with RoSPA I believe it is similar to the IAM's.

Bob

I've only been an IAM member since July but I did the test in November and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I think the point about this is if you just want to learn something, take a test, and walk away with a bit of paper you're missing the point. Yes - you can do that with IAM, BUT its like learning to drive. Pass the test and then the fun begins. You set a course of continuous learning and the more you engage with the organisation the more you can get out. With ROSPA, the examining system means it is effectively enforced. With IAM they let you decide what you want to do and achieve once you've passed their test.

I think that IAM and ROSPA are ok up to a certain level and then you need to look for higher levels of training with organisations such as Rapid Training or Hopp Rider Training.

That's what I did, and I am a member of both organisations. Though I haven't done any training with RoSPA I believe it is similar to the IAM's.

Bob

It should be the same Bob as its all about being in the safest position on any given road. I wanted to do some Rospa training but there were no groups in my area so i joined my local IAM group passed my test became an Observer and put in for my Rospa test and passed at Gold level. I am an observer with MAM which is the Middlesex advanced motorcyclists and with our group you have a different observer for each course ride.

.......so i joined my local IAM group passed my test became an Observer and put in for my Rospa test and passed at Gold level.

That's pretty much what I did, though I was about to take the IAM Senior Observer test when I I decided to have a go at the RoSPA test ;)

I am currently looking into doing the RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Riding Instruction.

Bob

I went with the IAM, can't see it making a huge difference where you go.

The only thing that puts me off ROSPA is they are very pro speed camera's and I believe these things are bloody useless except when placed outside school gates (and still of limited use and most dickheads will speed up once past them)

Anyway don't want to start a speed camera debate, but the IAM and ROSPA training look to follow similar principles of roadcraft.

For more bike handling skills the California Superbike School would be my top pick, and at £20 odd quid the Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD offers some really good meterial that of which 90% is applicable to the road.

And talking of value, have you looked at Bikesafe?

This offers a great intro into advanced riding and further training and you are likely to meet a number of observers from both IAM and ROSPA from your area.

Back
Top Bottom