Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KAWASAKI W800

KAWASAKI W800

After many Beemers, I have gone for something a bit different and I love it. http://www.kawasakiw800.blogspot.com/
    Everything about a 60's British twin with great economy, comfort, smooth ride and no oil leaks! Still miss the adventure machines so may get another as a second bike at some point. Roll on the summer.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I took one out for a test ride at last year's BSB at Snetterton. They had pretty much the whole range there (ZX10, ZZR14, 1400GTR etc etc) but I chose the W800.

They made us wear the high viz

The bike was a real laugh. Pegs decking out everywhere. I wouldn't have one, but it was fun, thrumming along the country lanes.
    2005 R1200GS Classic. Remus De-cat and Hilltop remap.

Senior Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    there a great looking bike ,all the best classic look ,with the reliability of japanese

Just sold my F800 to buy one. I collect it on Thursday.

Change some of the parts for aftermarket ones and you have a great looking hommage to a 1960's British off-roader.

After my last tour I realised i could have done it and every one of my other tours with this bike rather than some 'Advenja bike' AND it is tons of fun on the twisty back roads in Suffolk - which is what i spend 90% of my time riding.

I had a W650 a few years back and loved it too. AND as a bonus, when my wife passes her DAS, it is a bike she feels confident in riding herself while we save for one for her She'd never get her leg over the F800.

This is what it will look like when i get it ....

And more like this when i've finished ....

Then i suppose it will be goodbye to this place

those knobblys will be interesting around the tractor covered mud lanes off suffolk

Quote Originally Posted by jackass dave View Post
    those knobblys will be interesting around the tractor covered mud lanes off suffolk
    They were fine on my F800 Even during the sugar beat and ploughing seasons. No tyre would save you on the slick, wet clay mud that farmers can get away with spreading with their tractor tyres though .

And i am sure as shit not going to let practical choices cloud the look i want to achieve . Much as many Advenja bike riders don't let common sense get in the way of their choices It is all about the look

And tomorrow is the big day

id like to have a look at the bike when you get it ,as i may go down the triumph bonneville /w800 route as a summer bike .
    how right you are ,id never let saftey get in the way of looks

How do they compare to a bonneville ?

Wouldn't know and wouldn't care personally

It's a 'Dub' I want

I should qualify that by repeating the above that i had a W650 and so know the bike. I'm not a fan of modern Triumphs in terms of looks or quality and as they are made abroad and I think their trading off the whole heritage and Brit bike things are crap.

I like the look of the W800. It is as simple as that. I cedrtainly don't think there are safety issues that it might have that the Triumph doesn't have.

If i wanted a fast bike then this wouldn't be my first choice - but i don't
    If I wanted an on-off roader then this wouldn't be my first choice - but i don't.
    I could go on but you probably get my drift.

I want a bike that looks older, handles like an older bike, stops similar to an old bike but doesn't leak oil and isn't running with 40 year old parts.

I also like the possibilities for customising it.

For tootling about the local roads - which is 95% of my time - and for occasional touring solo and for riding with the missus on the back for trips out, this will do nicely. And as i also said above, her feet can sit flat on the deck so she will feel comfortable riding it once she has her DAS completed.

If you want a comparison with a Bonnie, there's tonnes on the internet. And apart from a few old geezers fixated on a name rather than subjective evaluation, the Kawa tops out.

I'm not basing my choice of bike on comparing acceleration, braking or fuel economy - simply looks and the knowledge that the bike is not inherently dangerous.

Put up a picture when you get it Dave, I've always liked the W650/800, looks a nice option over the Bonneville

No bury dave not saftey as in build my god its japanese of course its sFe saftey as inriding around suffolk lanes on knobbly tyres because it looks good saftey.
    Im the first person to put style over saftey.
    Sent crom my phone not using glasses so I cant actually see the text.If

um perhaps ill put my glasses on next time

Looks nice, but you can't hide the fact it has a singl disc at the front and a drum at the rear. Style is not always a great attribute.

Enjoy.

Better the W650, it has a 'get out of jail free' card in the shape of a kickstart! I have a lovely 55 plater in maroon and grey.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by jackass dave View Post
    No bury dave not saftey as in build my god its japanese of course its sFe saftey as inriding around suffolk lanes on knobbly tyres because it looks good saftey.
    Im the first person to put style over saftey.
    Sent crom my phone not using glasses so I cant actually see the text.If
    I hear you Dave However, I do plan to put it over a few green lanes so the nobblies will get some proper use. And i never had any 'moments' whilst i had nobblies on my F800.

[QUOTE=YMFB} Looks nice, but you can't hide the fact it has a single disc at the front and a drum at the rear. Style is not always a great attribute. [/QUOTE]

I understand your point of view but i want a vintage experience with all that that entails. Including a vintage riding style and at vintage speeds. A single disc front and drum rear might be an issue at 140 mph but for what i will do on it .....

You ride to the bike you're riding. And i see plenty of people who think they have the safest bike but who are currently riding about in shorts and t shirt or who ride recklessly. Others ride at speeds where, no matter what you are wearing, if you come off then you will die.

The biggest thing that affects safety is the rider

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast