Help/tips on spraying up a tank please

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I’ve decided to have a go a spraying up the tank on my Guzzi LeMans.

Originally I had intended to get it done professionally but have decided, after discussions with Cookie to give it a go myself – thanks Cookie (I think :eek).
If I cock it up it’s no big deal and I’ll go back to plan A.

The paint on the tank is actually ok. It’s currently all over red but the Lemans should have black panels top and bottom and it’s these panels I intend spraying up. I am leaving the red that’s already there.
Essentially the top (flat section) of the tank needs to be black and should have a pin stripe running around it. The base of the tank and about one inch up the sides should also be black.

Now, I have no problem spraying up bits’n’bobs but I’ve never attempted something like this before and am after as much advice as possible please.

Stuff I’m not sure of - such as surface prep, I presume I should remove any wax (solvent/brake cleaner?) on the tank but am nervous about sanding it in case I mark the red paint beyond where I’m spraying?

Tricks for getting a clean edge and pin stripe?

And, being a satin finish should I be sanding down between coats and/or the final coat?
Is there a way of sealing the satin finish to stop it becoming polished/shinny over time (I guess not)?
Any other tips for a tank spraying numpty?

Cheers
Andres

I’ve decided to have a go a spraying up the tank on my Guzzi LeMans.

Originally I had intended to get it done professionally but have decided, after discussions with Cookie to give it a go myself – thanks Cookie (I think :eek).
If I cock it up it’s no big deal and I’ll go back to plan A.

The paint on the tank is actually ok. It’s currently all over red but the Lemans should have black panels top and bottom and it’s these panels I intend spraying up. I am leaving the red that’s already there.
Essentially the top (flat section) of the tank needs to be black and should have a pin stripe running around it. The base of the tank and about one inch up the sides should also be black.

Now, I have no problem spraying up bits’n’bobs but I’ve never attempted something like this before and am after as much advice as possible please.

Stuff I’m not sure of - such as surface prep, I presume I should remove any wax (solvent/brake cleaner?) on the tank but am nervous about sanding it in case I mark the red paint beyond where I’m spraying?

Tricks for getting a clean edge and pin stripe?

And, being a satin finish should I be sanding down between coats and/or the final coat?
Is there a way of sealing the satin finish to stop it becoming polished/shinny over time (I guess not)?
Any other tips for a tank spraying numpty?

Cheers
Andres

*Quick wipe down with acetone, mask using double thickness masking tape or duct tape, careful and gentle key with fine wet and dry. Done carefully around the edge with the tape to protect the original finish....then a another wipe with acetone. re-mask if required and a couple of coats of "Hard-Hat" mat black..otherwise known as "bullshit black"...and job's a good'un....what could possibly go wrong?:D

* Note..anything from this point is best disregarded..

Or you could PM me with various inducements, mostly involving food :beer: and loose women I will come up and help you do it.

John.

Pinstriping tutorial

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iJjJd5yHDY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

Or you could PM me with various inducements, mostly involving food :beer: and loose women I will come up and help you do it.

John.

Loose women suitably sorted and the very generous and cool Paintman paid a visit with his big van :beerjug:

I decided to keep the base red and spray the top panel and underside black with a black pinstripe parallel to the top panel. Basically, as per an original 850 Le Mans. However, the originals were satin black. I decided to go all over gloss so a two pack clear coat was also applied.

The end result was, I hope you'll agree, pretty dam good and much better than I'd hoped for. Here's some piccies and, once agin, thanks Paintman :clap

Removing loose/chipped paint

IMG_4891.jpg

Masking up for the pin stripe

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

All masked up and ready to go

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

Masking removed and ready for the clear coat

IMG_4902.jpg

Clear coat on and the tank's cooked under some infra red lamps

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4905.jpg

Then follows a lot of sanding, cutting back and finally polish........et voila :)

10.jpg

2.jpg

8.jpg

Andres

I've got a beugler pinstriping tool with a selection of double and single heads of different thicknesses if you need one.

Have you seen the shite that those guys produce?

A friend of mine bought a brand new Enfield last year. He ordered the special edition one with the chrome tank. The bke finally arrived with a standard tank fitted. No worries says the dealer "well get the right one ordered". Weeks later a chrome tank turns up with the painted panels in the right place but the worst chrome you've ever seen. Another tank was ordered - three months later it arrives with lovely shiney chrome but the painted panels are all on the piss :D

Pinstriping tutorial

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iJjJd5yHDY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have you seen the shite that those guys produce?

A friend of mine bought a brand new Enfield last year. He ordered the special edition one with the chrome tank. The bke finally arrived with a standard tank fitted. No worries says the dealer "well get the right one ordered". Weeks later a chrome tank turns up with the painted panels in the right place but the worst chrome you've ever seen. Another tank was ordered - three months later it arrives with lovely shiney chrome but the painted panels are all on the piss :D

Fekkin Indians, :blast sorry, cowboys.

I watched a guy from the factory at this years Triumph LIVE Show at Mallory park do pinstriping by hand and he wore white linen gloves with the forefinger and thumb cut out

Those Indians show a terrible disregard for Health & Safety issues :augie

Ta, John did a fantastic job (all I did was mask up the panels and pinstriping).

Well, the satin/flat black wouldn't stay satin/flat for ever as it eventually gets polished from knees rubbing, cleaning etc..... So, I just decided in the end to go with something I like the look of and is more practical, bugger originality - at the end of the day it's a MkII made to look a bit like a MkI and even the red isn't original, close but you can tell its not 'right' (nicer IMHO).

Andres

Another vote for John/ Paintman. A real artist and a gentleman. He did some touch up work on my car and did a brilliant job. Just had to keep him supplied with fine food and decent wines. Don't remember the loose women bit but PinkLady did speak highly of John.:D

Back
Top Bottom