Have I made a good choice ??

flytoolow

Reaction score
Hi,

Well just a little bit about myself to start. I'm a Bab (Born again Biker apparently..). I started riding about 5 years ago and I've decided that the stuff I got when I started has reached its end of life and is being replaced with some better equipment. I don't ride in extremes of temperature - The bikes go away around early November and come out in March.
I figure that this year I will get more time on the Bike than normal due to reduced work commitments, a planned 3 week bimble around Greece in the summer and general days or two touring in France/Germany/Dolomites and if time allows the HogRaost etc

Ive recently decided that a new pair of boots and trousers are in order so Ive placed an order for a pair of TCX Infinity's and Rukka Kalahari Trousers.(400 quid all in)

The trousers were a bit of an impulse buy...I've liked the look of them and since they were "end of line" (i.e. Cheap) I thought that I would take some before it was too late. Its Rukka right ?

Now Ive read reports that say the Kalahari is only good for hot weather (only?) and that WITHOUT the Gore-Tex Liner they are not waterproof. I don't really like "liners"...I usually take them out on warm occasions..and promptly loose the liners...So I prefer my items to be waterproof from the outset. Cold I can deal with..but I hate getting wet. Ive also read reports of someone using the Kalahari year long in the UK winters etc....

Im considering changing to another set of Rukka trousers - (like the Granite trousers) when they arrive and straight return them and swap for something more appropriate to my needs.

..Have I made a Boob ??:nenau

Cheers..

So you paid for Rukka goretex lined trousers and now you want to throw those liners away?

Okaaaay...

Why not just buy a one piece waterproof oversuit and take that with you in case it rains?

Riding in Greece in the summer would be too hot for textiles for me.

My choice would be something like Hood jeans, and unlined waterproof over trousers..

So you paid for Rukka goretex lined trousers and now you want to throw those liners away?

Okaaaay...

Why not just buy a one piece waterproof oversuit and take that with you in case it rains?

...No I dont throw them out...Its just that with liners, usually they have been removed (i.e too hot) when you actually need them. I guess Im looking for the perfect all-year round trouser...which probably doesnt exist...

Riding in Greece in the summer would be too hot for textiles for me.

My choice would be something like Hood jeans, and unlined waterproof over trousers..

..sort of Kevlar re-inforced stuff then ?

If I was going to Greece in hot weather I'd ride with protected jeans or camo trousers.Draggin jeans and the like would be best.Alternatively you have 2 sets of riding gear like many of us do_One summer set and one cooler weather set.Horses for courses,I don't think you'll find one suit that'll cover for everything.

bloody cold? it was 22c yesterday! lined jeans also very hot. Go to HG if you can, they have plenty of air mesh jackets/trousers etc if you are looking for hot weather gear.

i would suggest just using an oversuit if needed as i have found most waterproof clothing to be really hot.

polo also do a good line in waterproof stuff, the outer sheel isnt but there is an underlying layer that is.

ps polo stuff is far better quality than louis.

where in chocco land are you?

have a look at the klim stuff, very waterproof and no liners

Hi,

Well just a little bit about myself to start. I'm a Bab (Born again Biker apparently..). I started riding about 5 years ago and I've decided that the stuff I got when I started has reached its end of life and is being replaced with some better equipment. I don't ride in extremes of temperature - The bikes go away around early November and come out in March.
I figure that this year I will get more time on the Bike than normal due to reduced work commitments, a planned 3 week bimble around Greece in the summer and general days or two touring in France/Germany/Dolomites and if time allows the HogRaost etc

Ive recently decided that a new pair of boots and trousers are in order so Ive placed an order for a pair of TCX Infinity's and Rukka Kalahari Trousers.(400 quid all in)

The trousers were a bit of an impulse buy...I've liked the look of them and since they were "end of line" (i.e. Cheap) I thought that I would take some before it was too late. Its Rukka right ?

Now Ive read reports that say the Kalahari is only good for hot weather (only?) and that WITHOUT the Gore-Tex Liner they are not waterproof. I don't really like "liners"...I usually take them out on warm occasions..and promptly loose the liners...So I prefer my items to be waterproof from the outset. Cold I can deal with..but I hate getting wet. Ive also read reports of someone using the Kalahari year long in the UK winters etc....

Im considering changing to another set of Rukka trousers - (like the Granite trousers) when they arrive and straight return them and swap for something more appropriate to my needs.

..Have I made a Boob ??:nenau

Cheers..

... I guess Im looking for the perfect all-year round trouser...which probably doesnt exist...

Yes and no. Depends mostly on the temperature ranges you need it to cover. I reckon there are plenty of suits which are perfect for the UK which ranges from about freezing to about 30 degrees. My HG suit has vent zips and goretex, and in the last 20,000 miles have found it really good in Northern Europe.

Would have boiled in Morocco though when it got up to 36c, so I used seperate body armour and mesh oversuits. Froze my t*ts off on the way back through spain though at 3c.

Personally I think the ultimate suit can only be made up of seperate elements:

1. Body armour fixed to your body so it can't move in a crash.

2. Jacket & trousers to provide abrasion resistance, with removable panels / zips to allow airflow when the temps climb. Showerproof as a minimum, but impossible to combine real venting and full waterproofing.

3. Waterproof oversuit you put on over everything else if the heavens open.

As it is, we all need a compromise suit, since it is impractical to strap on body armour for the commute to work, so we accept suits with armour built in. It's also a pain to have to stop and climb into a waterproof suit if you're only out for an hour, so we accept a less vented or more pourous suit than the ideal.

I think manufacturers are getting there, but none have nailed it so far...

Have you ever tried actually stopping on the hard shoulder and put your liners in when it starts to rain? You have to strip, so whatever you're wearing underneath gets wet - and then, even with the liners in, the suit material gets wet - takes ages to dry and you freeze your bollox off as it dries. Madness. Its a crap design.

So if like me, you like the easy option, either fork out for gear that's inherently waterproof or......

Ditch the liners and get some waterproofs to go over.
I use hill walking stuff. Totally waterproof and the trousers are designed to go over big boots.

Also, ditch the thermal liner from your suit. If you think it might get chilly - take a fleece.

Added advantage is when you get to where you're going - you have a fleece and a rain coat with you.

Actually - dont ditch them. Stick the liners on Ebay. Other people lose them too.

Dear Mr Flytoolow, your right, it's a bit of a booboo, but don't worry 'cos your right again as well !

If I were you I'd return the Kalahari trousers and order a pair with laminated Gore-Tex.
That way, the outer fabric will remain dry ( and light ) while still being breathable. With the Gore-Tex liner the outer material still gets wet ( and heavy ) whilst the inner keeps you dry.
:ChrisKelly

I've got the Rukka Armadillo suit. It's been great through winter, cant tell you what it's like in the heat......yet.:beerjug:

Thanks for all the comments.

The Kalaharis should be delivered any day now. Ill take a look and decide then. Im starting to think that I'll keep them - but that maybe becasue it's getting rather warm here all of a sudden. I've been walking around in my Belstaff (which I rate rather highly) and Im already starting to heat up.

I think I need to give more thought about my actual riding conditions. Warm /light rain/showers then the Kalahari should be good, Heavy day-long downpours and I'll take cover or quickly donn an oversuit...

...even though...I can't believe that even today the "perfect" riding suit doesnt readily exist...

Back
Top Bottom