Sideways Motorcycle Trailer - Any Good?

Firstly..
you do not ratchet across the seat :blast:eek:

Always frame and handlebars plus maybe front forks..

Secondly, they are buggers to see in mirrors, almost impossible to reverse and are liable to tap the back of towing vehicle in quite moderate turns.
with the rear overhang on our wobblybox it would clout the corner on almost any rt angle road junction..
Thirdly, reversing is a no no, thats why there is a jockey wheel as standard fitting [ for manouvering ]

Finally, carrying bikes sidewards put loads of stress on straps fittings etc every time you accelerate or brake :eek

Only exception is the bike racks fitted on back of motohomes etc, where the rear of the carrying vehicle takes the braking strain [in our case through fixed support on rear of Hymer] .....
I use normal trailers and do tow a hell of a lot of miles a year :)

Firstly..

Secondly, they are buggers to see in mirrors, almost impossible to reverse and are liable to tap the back of towing vehicle in quite moderate turns.
with the rear overhang on our wobblybox it would clout the corner on almost any rt angle road junction..
Thirdly, reversing is a no no, thats why there is a jockey wheel as standard fitting [ for manouvering ]

Finally, carrying bikes sidewards put loads of stress on straps fittings etc every time you accelerate or brake :eek

Only exception is the bike racks fitted on back of motohomes etc, where the rear of the carrying vehicle takes the braking strain [in our case through fixed support on rear of Hymer] .....
I use normal trailers and do tow a hell of a lot of miles a year :)

I agree with Proff & would much prefer to tow a normal trailer, especially one that you can see in your mirrors

Some good points made by Proff, he knows what's what

It states it up to 7ft 6 wide - that'll be fun down some roads. don't forget its there as you squeaze past that parked Rolls :blast :eek:
I would have thought that you see little else in you mirrors!

It states it up to 7ft 6 wide - that'll be fun down some roads. don't forget its there as you squeaze past that parked Rolls :blast :eek:
I would have thought that you see little else in you mirrors!

Our Wobblybox is 7'6" wide. I leave the camera on for monitoring puposes.
Means you get punctures, not new tyres and trailer damage because you don't see till to late..
DSCF0390.jpg

DSCF0144.jpg

Mar1st2004BMW80.jpg

DSCF0717.jpg

Interesting thread...I will be getting a trailer around June and I was thinking of going for the collapsible Motolug. It looks solid but not cheap!

I would like somthing with bigger wheels, the wheels look like they have a low speed rating. Reversing camera is a must when towing leave it on all the time it really helps when the trailer is in view.

Tyre Down straps - may interfere with huggers and pannier racks, but if not - they are a great securing method.

Al :thumb2

Attachments

• lefttiedown.jpg
    lefttiedown.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3,751
I would like somthing with bigger wheels, the wheels look like they have a low speed rating. Reversing camera is a must when towing leave it on all the time it really helps when the trailer is in view.

My tyres [ on 4 {at the mo' :D} trailers ] have speed loading of 112 mph :eek::eek::eek:

BUT SPEED LIMIT FOR TRAILERS IS 60 MPH

EVEN AGRICULTURAL TYRES CAN COPE WITH THAT :blast

If I need to do some Heavy duty towing, this is available to me :aidan
DSCF0232.jpg

!B5z6TKQ!2k~$(KGrHqQOKj4EyfpIOIVPBMvFoE5pTg~~_3.JPG

I wouldn't try loading a bike without the trailer being attached to a motor. I could imagine that the whole lot would tip over without too much trouble!

:eek:

Greg

That sideways trailer scares me :eek

No way :nono

As for lashing down .....Proff, the handlebars? :blast

Nearly lost my GSA once by doing that........never again.

Footrest hangers, telelever, headstock maybe......there are plenty of places to lash to on most bikes, but never use anything that will/could bend or slip around in its mounting.

If I was after another trailer now (I have an old motolug) I would get some parts from Motolug, (the folding main body and the beam/axle) and I'd spec up my own suspension units, using off the shelf units like this:

trailer-suspension-units-1000kg-20cwt-for-13-in-wheels.jpg

I'd have 13 inch standard rims with a 5.5pcd setup (try getting a spare wheel or tyre for a motolug in Morocco and you'll know why :blast) and I'd weld some bits on to make it far better than the Motolug, using what we learned from towing GSs around Morocco on one for all those years.

Actually.......If I had the money, I could make superb trailers for GSs with what we learnt :cool:

Firstly..

:)

I know that:blast, I have been trailering bikes across Europe on standard trailers for many years.

When I mentioned ratcheting down on the seat I was referring to the trailer in the link that has a metal bar that locates across the seat and is ratcheted down.

The reason I asked the question is because my current trailer is a Motolug which I have used and abused and I am now looking for a replacement.

I was hoping someone was going to say the sideways trailer was great but as I suspected the concensus seems to be to steer clear.

So I think the next one with be from Phoenix Trailers as they seem very robust.

http://www.phoenixtrailer.co.uk/motorcycle.php

If you are thinking of a Trailer Frame as in post 6
check the weight limit of yer towbar = my car is 75kgs on towball
Theres a hell of a lot more with a big bike

If you are thinking of a Trailer Frame as in post 6
check the weight limit of yer towbar = my car is 75kgs on towball
Theres a hell of a lot more with a big bike

:confused:

Only if the bike is extremely badly loaded Mick.

If the bike is loaded correctly, it should be possible to lift the front of the trailer onto the two hitch with one hand.......the weight of the bike is taken through the wheels of the trailer, not passed on to the hitch.

:confused:

Only if the bike is extremely badly loaded Mick.

If the bike is loaded correctly, it should be possible to lift the front of the trailer onto the two hitch with one hand.......the weight of the bike is taken through the wheels of the trailer, not passed on to the hitch.

:blast@ Fannykins....
Mick is on about those tow hitch mounted front wheel supports..
Useless on anything with less than 200 kgs tow bar support [ most are twixt 50 to 75 kgms as Mick says :thumb2]
Tried one for my trike,, front wheel weight 180 kgs Useless even on our Wobblybox..
[125kgs noseweight]

My dad got something like this http://motorbiketrailers.org.uk/ to tow his bike.

It looks weird but works really well. There are different types on the same idea. May be worth looking at.

I really don't like that, for the simple reason that the tension in the straps will vary as the bike's rear wheel rises and falls relative to the towing vehicle. Think speed bumps, kerbs, even raised manhole covers. In extreme cases the straps will either be so tight that something breaks (possibly the strap itself) or so slack that the bike falls off the rig.

I just think it's a really bad idea.

(edit) Plus of course the towbar weight thingy as mentioned above...:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom