ZX9R

doyle

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone had one,what did you think of it,any problems,things to know or look out for.
I am going to look at one tomorrow ,low mileage and seems at the right price.

Never even sat on one before but from what i can gather they are quite roomy and old school.
Thinking i might get it and put heli bars or similar and turn into an better alrounder.

Personally I'd buy a ZX7 and if you need more power drop a ZX9 motor in.

The ZX7 handles far better is more agile and just as comfortable.

Dave B

To be honest i'm not so fussed about the power,but seemingly the zx9 engines are pretty bombproof,the bike itself physically big.

The low mileage and condition is drawing me to check this particular one out.

I had a 99 t reg c2 i think it was, it dropped out of gear i think it was a known fault.

The zx9 was an ok bike but never really rated it that much, suspension felt a bit budget.

A gsxr1000 is a much better bet in my experience, equally comfy.

Great bikes lots of power comfortable for a sports bike anyway also had a 6 for the money ie Less than 2k as long as it looks good have a good look at the callipers making sure all move freely and discs tend to warp, engine is bullet proof

You're far better off - with a Fireblade 954 :rob

(I'll sell you one? :augie)

Al:)

I had two, a C2 Model and Later an E1 (They never made any D's and the last of them were F's)

The only "known" fault I know of is occasional gear selector problems, cheap enough in parts and would be a simple enough job...... if it did not require the engine on the floor.

I think these problems are quite isolated, and typically happen at higher mileages (on a sportsbike I think that means over 30k) I think the symptoms are dropping out of 5th gear (or higher gears)

Check in on a ZX9R forum would be the best bet for details of what to look out for.

Apart from that they are great bikes, even my earlier C Model was brilliant on the road (but I did not like it on the track) and the E Model even better, much sharper looking.

Due to never quite being as good as the latest Blade or Gixer means they are available for ridiculously low money, and for that you get a damn fast, great handling and reliable bike.

I assume your not riding around the world and unless planning to track the thing the handling is fine on the road, a shade hard at the back end but these ain't built for back lanes.

They ride surprisingly well two-up (Probably due to stiff rear spring) and I took mine away for a long weekend with the Mrs + Luggage and it was pretty damn good.

I would personally go for an E or an F if buying again, if only for styling, but I think they did improve power and handling a smidge with each update.

You're far better off - with a Fireblade 954 :rob

(I'll sell you one? :augie)

Al:)

I know the 954 is a great bike,but i doubt you would part with one for the price the zx9 is for sale.
2k and its only done 2k miles from new .1 owner.seems a good buy.

However i,m undecided.

Great bike for the road, more than quick enough, much comfier than a gixer for me. Reasonable tank range, what year is it? if you dont want it i might be interested at that mileage and price. Had one for a few years no problems at all with it.

I know the 954 is a great bike,but i doubt you would part with one for the price the zx9 is for sale.
2k and its only done 2k miles from new .1 owner.seems a good buy.

However i,m undecided.

Yeah - I suspect that the ZX is a bigger bike (also heavier) and would defo be cheaper than a 954

Al :thumb2

Great bike for the road, more than quick enough, much comfier than a gixer for me. Reasonable tank range, what year is it? if you dont want it i might be interested at that mileage and price. Had one for a few years no problems at all with it.

Its a 2001 (x.plate). I have'nt been to look at the bike but from speaking to the lad its seems genuine.It was'nt used for 5 years ,and only did 15 miles last year.
Much as i'm tempted i'm going to pass on it.

I can pm you his number if you want. The bike is north of aberdeen.

Should be a nice E1 / E2 on a 2001 plate :thumb2

That is gonna be a bargain of a bike for someone, if I had the cash / space I would be tempted myself.

Thats what i keep thinking:blast
But i would have to sell my drz if i bought it.

Back
Top Bottom