Schuberth C3 or Shoei Qwest or Multitec

Shoei xr 1100, space for speakers if you go down comms route, good vents when it gets warm, quite too , best lid so far.
Fancy the roof red star still, just to be different, GSA black & red

I've been using Shoei flip-ups since they first came out and love the convenience and low noise. I have the Multi-tec right now, but I'm looking forward to getting the Neotec when it comes out this summer. Every helmet maker has a slightly different shape in mind when they design helmets, from round to oval, creating different pressure spots on people's heads. Helmets aren't custom fitted just yet. Although the Shoei helmets used to press on my forehead, I've been able to remove the liner and use a Dremel to remove 1/8" of foam from the back of the helmet, contouring the helmet to fit MY head. Custom fit with 20 minutes work. Removing such a thin layer of foam isn't going to significantly reduce the lid's safety qualities, and makes it much more comfortable for all-day rides.

Stitchawl

I did something this week that I've never done before, that is, buy a helmet (online) without trying one first. The helmet is a Schuberth C3 and I was betting on the fact that, as my two previous helmets were Schuberths (the last an S1) and fitted perfectly, the C3 would too. Thankfully, it did. It's my first flip up and it fits really well. I've put in a couple of hundred miles already and, aside from agreeing with TheBergers point about taking care not to overtighten the chinstrap it's been very good.

I've got quite a, how can I say, broad head (some might say 'squarehead') which seems to work well in a Schuberth, maybe they are therefore not so good for narrower, more elegant noggins.

My only mild concern is whether or not the rim mounted sunvisor mech will last, as it doesn't seem as solid as the higher level and more direct S1 arrangement, but it seems to be a necessary compromise for a flip up design.

Recently bought a slightly used C3 from another Tosser. Same size as my C2, fits beautifully (even thought I have a narrow head) and after a four-day, 1,000-mile trip round four national parks I'm delighted with how comfortable, light and quiet it is! Ultimately helmets are another of thoses things which will be down to personal preference, but for me the C3 is perfect.

I have had all 3 helemts you mention. Multitech noisy, C3 gave up as the visor would not stay up and leaked, was noisier than I expected. The Qwest is the best lid I have had....done about 10K, very good quality, all day comfort and when you clip the visor down it is like turning the volume down BUT a bit fiddly.

Have used it in very hot country's (Turkey) with it and fine (was worried about the limited vents). Also the most comfortable lid I have had for touring long distances.

Cheers

I've been using Shoei flip-ups since they first came out and love the convenience and low noise. I have the Multi-tec right now, but I'm looking forward to getting the Neotec when it comes out this summer. Every helmet maker has a slightly different shape in mind when they design helmets, from round to oval, creating different pressure spots on people's heads. Helmets aren't custom fitted just yet. Although the Shoei helmets used to press on my forehead, I've been able to remove the liner and use a Dremel to remove 1/8" of foam from the back of the helmet, contouring the helmet to fit MY head. Custom fit with 20 minutes work. Removing such a thin layer of foam isn't going to significantly reduce the lid's safety qualities, and makes it much more comfortable for all-day rides.

Stitchawl

If you're buying a lid in Japan then the internal shape of the lid is very different to the EU or US market lids - more round rather than squared off.
I have had a number of Japan spec Shoei and they all create pressure on the forehead due to the wrong shape head/liner.

I have had a C3 for the past 18 months, it is by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned, the liner material is plush and the helmet in general has a small profile making it easier to fit in top boxes or panniers. Big downside, the visor is shit, slight breeze 30mph plus and it slams shut and the pinlock is never seated properly meaning it mists up inside the air gap.
It would still be my 1st choice for long journeys, I have a Bell MX5, Arai Tour X2, Nolan n103 and an xlite 551.

Back
Top Bottom