Triumph Explorer....test ride

I've seen an 800XC ding its gear lever in a low-speed accident on a trail. The resulting damage shore off the gear shaft and the bike now needs to have the cases split to repair the mechanism. A similar accident with a 1200 last weekend was fixed at the side of the road with an adjustable spanner.

Is this a fair reason to criticise the bike? It is fairly random whether you'll get away with it or be the unlucky one who suffers a big problem after a small fall. Both Ewan and Charlie had shocks fail on the Long way down, but I don't remember anyone saying "avoid BMW because the build quality is rubbish"

Is this a fair reason to criticise the bike? It is fairly random whether you'll get away with it or be the unlucky one who suffers a big problem after a small fall. Both Ewan and Charlie had shocks fail on the Long way down, but I don't remember anyone saying "avoid BMW because the build quality is rubbish"

A bit touchy aren't you? Do you own an 800XC perchance? Having read the paragraph a few times I can't see any criticism; all he has done is quote something factual - he hasn't said the bike is rubbish at all. He actually states that they look like great bikes but qualifies his statement with advice to keep them on the tarmac - valuable consumer advice I'd have thought. :nenau

I took my Tiger 1050 for its 12k service today and got a 1200Exp as a loan bike.

I test rode the 1200 before and really liked it but now remember how shit the seat was. After a day on the Exp I was pleased to get back on the 1050. A brilliant bike in so many respects but let down by one of the worst seats I've ever experienced. I'm sure there will be good aftermarket options but I'm rather glad I couldn't afford it when I first rode it.

A big thumbs up for Gedges who I rate as the best bike dealers I've ever dealt with.

BIKE magazine tests the Triumph Explorer and a 1200GS in next months issue.

Report concludes "Triumph's Tiger Explorer simply isn't as good as BMW's R1200GS. The GS defines the class and has sat for years at the head of sales figures. The GS is more comfortable than the Explorer, lithter, more agile, has a superior ride and uses less fuel....From motorway trek to gravel lane to trackday we;d take the BMW."

Report concludes "Triumph's Tiger Explorer simply isn't as good as BMW's R1200GS. The GS defines the class and has sat for years at the head of sales figures. The GS is more comfortable than the Explorer, lithter, more agile, has a superior ride and uses less fuel....From motorway trek to gravel lane to trackday we;d take the BMW."

They didn't need to go to the bother of testing the Triumph. I could have told them that......:augie

They also said about the Honda Crosstourer, " The Honda is the only other bike I can ride with the same care-free, twist-and-go, let-the-bike-soak-it-up lack of concern as the BMW. The ABS is nicer, less intrusive system than Triumph's, and the suspension is superior too (it's also better than the Super Tenere and Stelvio and versys...). Switches and controls are classy.
BMW have spent 30 years evolving the GS and most of its rivals lack its completeness. But the Honda has the air of a considered whole, as if a dedicated design team spent umpteen years making sure everything is just so. It's like the R1200GS with the lumpy bits smoothed out, a BMW for those who don't want to adjust to its difinite ways. It's something we haven't had before : a genuine Japanese alternative.

:cool:

They also said about the Honda Crosstourer, " The Honda is the only other bike I can ride with the same care-free, twist-and-go, let-the-bike-soak-it-up lack of concern as the BMW. The ABS is nicer, less intrusive system than Triumph's, and the suspension is superior too (it's also better than the Super Tenere and Stelvio and versys...). Switches and controls are classy.
BMW have spent 30 years evolving the GS and most of its rivals lack its completeness. But the Honda has the air of a considered whole, as if a dedicated design team spent umpteen years making sure everything is just so. It's like the R1200GS with the lumpy bits smoothed out, a BMW for those who don't want to adjust to its difinite ways. It's something we haven't had before : a genuine Japanese alternative.

:cool:

I test rode the CT yesterday as well and although the engine is feckin awesome the ride-by-wire throttle is a liability and the seat is a torture device that slides you towards the tank crushing yer bollocks. Suspension was really rough as well. Nowhere near as good as the Exp suspension. Feckin awesome engine though - or did I already say that?

A brilliant bike in so many respects but let down by one of the worst seats I've ever experienced. I'm sure there will be good aftermarket options but I'm rather glad I couldn't afford it when I first rode it.

Agreed with you, took the bike out for quite an extensive road test yesterday - about 2.5 hours, whilst some warranty work was done on my street triple at Webbs of Lincoln.

If this bike is as heavy as the spec sheet states, it hides its weight very well. A superbly balanced chassis that allows full use of the wonderful triple engine, test bike was fitted with an arrow exhaust too, not too 'rorty' but a nice sound above 8k and as it approached the red line.

Suspension was slightly hard, but i ride a street triple R, so to me felt like a feather down bed, but could have done with a softer setting.
Didn't try the cruise control, although as others have said the switches seem difficult to get too, unless you have extremely long fingers.

Seat position was well suited and comfortable, no sore knees or back - mirrors a bit vibey and not to clear above 80mph, quite a bit of buffeting too above 80 - 90mph as well, made your head slightly move from side to side.

At slow speeds the TE was very manoeuvrable, and as stated previously it does hide its weight well. No real problems with the throttle as others have mentioned, yes it is quick and can catch the unwary out if twisted a little, but you would soon dial in to it, if truthful - no issue from me!

However that seat was diabolical, truly an instrument of torture, numb bum within 50 miles, so if bought would have to replace the OEM one.

Overall a great bike, let down by a few niggly issues, which I'm sure can be overcome by an enthusiast - after all the GS is not perfect and I've seen posts of people spending a considerable amount to make it 'just so'.

I think Triumph have produced a decent bike, first attempt and will no doubt refine it further. Its an alternative to the GS and for that Triumph should be applauded, after all choice for us the paying public is good.

Would I buy one? Not until I've test ridden the new GS and also the 1200rt I have my eye on as well.

Your right about Triumph Dealers being full of beemers stratstone in wolves must have 6 or 7 and my watercooled gs as of yesterday lol , I took the explorer out and liked it a lot so i did a deal , to many things with the gs i didnt like maybe i should have waited for the adv to come out might have been a better option

Your right about Triumph Dealers being full of beemers stratstone in wolves must have 6 or 7 and my watercooled gs as of yesterday lol , I took the explorer out and liked it a lot so i did a deal , to many things with the gs i didnt like maybe i should have waited for the adv to come out might have been a better option

What was wrong with the water cooled 12GS WC?

It's the best bike on the planet:confused:

I tested a TEX a couple of months ago and I can honestly say I have never had so much fun on a bike, smooth throughout the range and goes like feck, it was fantastic so I traded my 2011 R 1200 GS o/c for a TEX and have never regretted it.
The seat feels hard initially but you never get numb bum (a first for me on any bike)
Fly by throttle was only an issue for the first 1/2 hour of test ride.
Cruse control is a bit of a stretch, so you just leave the pressed button in and its ready to use.(sorted)
Fuel consumption, 2 mpg less than GS
As far as the weight is concerned, same pain in the arse as GS when shunting around car parks, but light and well balanced when on the move. :flag

Did you not ride the Explorer before buying the GS? :nenau

I thought the explorer was ok, it seemed to carry its weight low, the power was nice and the delivery smooth but it didnt have the floating sensation of a gs and seemed a bit crashy/harsh out of the crate to me.

Might try one again sometime but it felt a cheap imitation of a GS to me, not something to spend £11k plus on.

I took the plunge and bought a launch model last year.....

I found it to be an excellent bike , but no matter what I did I couldn't get comfy on it... Put it down to a painful coccyx but it put me off riding .. and I did two euro trips so gave it enough of a chance.....

Fuelling smooth as a babies bum.. plenty of get up and go.. the cruise was a bit jerky when coming off it... and the passenger got snidled in crap all up her back when in inclement weather ( plenty of that)

Now on a 1400 GTR and loving the change.... would like a GS at the side of it in the garage though :D

A lot of us will be getting the Adventure WC:beerjug:

I'm surprised you got rid of the GS after only 1400 miles:nenau Something tells me you'll be doing the same with the TEX:blast:D

Tested the tex and really wanted to love it as "every man and his dog has a GS" but found it way to harsh on the suspension front (7 years on a 955 tiger) it was more like a gsxr with high bars. Now this is fine if you just want a blast on a Sun afternoon but after 200+ miles becomes tiresome. Also while much more powerful it just did not feel it, to the point of being dull. I did think the seat height a little low too which is a shame because one of the attractions of an adveture bike to me is the ability to see over the hedge rows when touring. As to finish only time will tell but much as I loved the tiger the rubber components have all split or fallen off and the paint finish on metal parts has not faired too well.
Now this may sound like Triumph knocking but it is not meant to because they have done a fantastic job producing great machines but unfortunately this one did not do it for me and have bought a GS, whether this is the right choice only time will tell

Back
Top Bottom