My thoughts on the 800 Tiger

I must admit even though you haven't exactly explored every aspect of a bike in 50 miles you should already have a reasonable first impression of it

I tried an XR and a GS back to back and within less than 50 miles i knew I didn't want an XR but I signed on the dotted line for a GS

i agree, whilst i did eventually do over 200 miles on a gs, my mind was made up in the first 10 miles that i was going to triumph, slighty worse off road, but oh so much better ON the road,,,,rust, yup, spokes can rust, if you dont clean them, but my bmw,s (in other areas)were no better/worse tbh, mines 5 yr old, no rust, cos i keep it clean, triumphs will always be second to bmw, we are on a bmw site, lol

I Had a 800 XCx for a year and chopped it in to get a TB. I test rode a F800GS as well but thought the engine was bland although there's nothing wrong with it.

I thought the XCx was a lot of bike for the money and really liked it. If you go touring solo then it's great. I rode from Poole to London with a large pillion and a bit of luggage and it's limitations became clear. You HAVE to get bar risers and a Madstad screen if you are tall but it's built to a price. I particularly liked the engine and found the built quality to be great. It also handled well although tyre choice was a bit limited due to the 21 inch front wheel.

I would probably still have it but decided to do some touring with the potential to go two up with Mrs Woodster. I also came into further funds so went for the GS. I haven't been disappointed. The Tiger has it's place but they can't be compared.

I test rode one.
It was a moped beneath me, with heavy cable clutch

I gave it back after an hour and bought a ktm990 adv
<script src='http://www.triumphtorque.com/media/file/115959.js
115959.jpg

Having sold my low mileage BMWF899GS which was on a 12 plate because of various problems I had with it that in-spite of paying the dealer to fix they kept reoccurring. I then bought a new Tiger 800 XCx and believe me the quality is there. More power, smother engine, better finish and the big difference so far is it actually starts up and continues until you turn the ignition off.

In my view a better bike.

Derek

I went for a test ride on a Triumph tiger 800 xca loved it so much bought one straight away and still love it no corrosion at all, as for the clutch mine is very light and smooth as is the gear box.
Bought a Ktm990 some time ago god knows why had loads of trouble with it would never bother with another one its triumphs all the way for me now.
Each to their own I guess

Thought I'd update this thread seeing as it's 6 years old now.

I had a 2015 Tiger 800XCx. At the time (i.e compared to F800GS from 2015) the Tiger was a far superior offering, at least in XCx spec, and if we're talking asphalt. For offroading, I'd choose the GS.

For a start the standard equipment was better; RBW throttle, the engine was FAR better, the suspension (fully adjustable front and back, though no electronic option) was KTMs WP and the star of this bike after the engine, heated grips, cruise control, 4 riding modes including one customisable Rider mode, engine bars, skid pan, 94hp, centre stand, great finish, much more comfortable than the GS and that tripple.... have I mentioned that?

I rode two F800GS's for two days solid (hired in SA and LAX) and I liked them but they were no way as good as the Tiger XCx.

Now, I only ever tried one other Tiger as a courtesy machine, an XR (not t) and I have to say that I noticed that the lack of good suspension ( together with brakes - in those days - was a weakness of Triumph) made all the difference. I believe the XRt has Showa or something of equal quality and therefore also good.

The ONLY things I didn't like about my Tiger were the 21" front wheel (because with that suspension it can corner with the best of the them, but you're always wondering if that front will wash out on you) but the GS also had that, and the topheavyness of it. You get used to it, cornering takes a little more thought; you have to be a little more precise and think a little further ahead, perhaps but it is a pig to pick up if you drop it, and you will drop it because the angle of no return is not very wide. .......ask me how I know!

Sadly, I can't offer any comparison with both new models but I think that I'd still go for that tripple in XRt guise or Adventure today because once you have tried that lovely tripple engine, it's a big draw over the equivalent twin.

The comparison isn't the same between the 1200 and the GS, though. What swayed me in the end was heritage and that all important weight distribution. I could just about cope with the 800 being top heavy, a 1200 would have been too much for me, and ultimately, it's what really did it for the Tiger 1200 for me.

Re lack of quality suspension on the XR, I bought a 2013 "Roadie" and found just as you say, poor front especially, too much compression damping.
I fitted a new cartridge / spring to the front a a new rear shock and transformed the bike handling.

P.S. It really is a great engine that triple... also remapped that with a hybrid map after fitting an Arrow exhaust and now really smooth and responsive while returning 50MPG..

Yeah, I imagine that there were "fixes" available. A friend of mine (Arsey) bought a Bonnie T140 (I think it was), a 10K bike but he didn't have it for long. His biggest bugbear seemed to be the suspension. Quite rightly he said that a 10K bike should have better suspension, and it should have but maybe he was expecting too much from a bike not meant for tearing around scraping footpegs. For that there is the Thruxton R with Ohlins which works far better but is more uncomfortable on a long ride with its clip-on bars and 3k or so more. But he lives in Guernsey and the Thruxton is great for weekend ride-outs and blasting down remote A roads. With a 35 mph speed limit it is a little expensive for a runabout.

Anyway, I loved my Triumph, I have to say. However, It took me at least a year to "love" it whereas the R1200GS LC I have now was love at first minute.

had a wee go on my brother's 800 last week. compared to my vstrom 650 it felt dead, no soul. i remember thinking the same when i compared it to my 09 gs. that said the 800 tiger is still a capable bike. brother's only comment on the vstrom was that it was different. :comfort

A "wee" go must have been all you had. I don't agree, you can't say the Tiger has no soul. It has plenty of soul, it's a noble machine too; offers quite a bit of feedback and pretty sure-footed.

When you wring it's neck (and you can really wring that tripple, the more you wring it the better it sounds) it really goes, has loads of engine braking and quite responsive for an adventure style bike. All things I really found lacking in the F800GS.

Must confess I have never ridden a Vstrom but a very good friend has one. Great for the money but hardly comparable, not with an XCx or and XRt; engine and suspension is light years ahead on those Tigers alone, let alone the toys and equipment they come with.

I can't even say horses for courses because the Tiger's in a completely different league.

A "wee" go must have been all you had. I don't agree, you can't say the Tiger has no soul. It has plenty of soul, it's a noble machine too; offers quite a bit of feedback and pretty sure-footed.

When you wring it's neck (and you can really wring that tripple, the more you wring it the better it sounds) it really goes, has loads of engine braking and quite responsive for an adventure style bike. All things I really found lacking in the F800GS.

Must confess I have never ridden a Vstrom but a very good friend has one. Great for the money but hardly comparable, not with an XCx or and XRt; engine and suspension is light years ahead on those Tigers alone, let alone the toys and equipment they come with.

I can't even say horses for courses because the Tiger's in a completely different league.

have had 2 half days on tigers, same feeling both times. the vstrom suspenders are good enough for me and i don't need toys. obviously the tiger has more power but i prefer the vtwin to the triple,horses for courses.

:blast 6yr old thread :eek: think the bikes have moved on since first op :augie

Never ridden a triumph in 31 years of biking...until yesterday.

Test road a 2019 XRT demo bike today (intending only to use on the road)

The amazing bits
- That tractable, free revving ( compared to my GS1200 twin ) powerful 800cc engine.
- That slick, slick, slick gearbox.
- The TFT screen ( its really good even in brightest sunlight )

The not so amazing bits
- Ground clearance.
- Seat comfort.
- Cramped legs and I'm only 5'11. ( Not really the bikes fault )

The unbearable bits
- Very unforgiving suspension shook the fillings out where the GS would just float along sereenley.

Its not the bike for me.

Sat on an 800 XCA and felt much more at home (so to speak). Very 'GS esque' riding position, loads more leg room even on low seat setting. More suspension adjustments available and IMHO better looking. I favour 'Adventure' style bikes over anything else.

Going back another day for a test ride on that instead.
Feeling quite optimistic.

The XCA is a wonderful bike, but if buying new be aware there is a new model on the horizon that is likely to be announced shortly (see latest copy of Bike Mag for details).

Incredibly competent off road too.

RBW.

I rode the new 800 & 1200 low models they introduced.

all i will say is, depite all its foibles, the GS walked all over them in terms of handling,.

I rode the new 800 & 1200 low models they introduced.

all i will say is, depite all its foibles, the GS walked all over them in terms of handling,.

I like GS's plenty, had them for 15 yrs plus, still commute to work on a 57 plate 1200, and they are no turkey in terms of road handling.

I think the Tiger 800 XCA is a better ride, build quality looks better engine and gearbox are excellent ( gearbox on the WC I find unacceptably clunky esp 1st ) and its comfortable 'out of the crate'.

Rides nothing like the XRT ( engine and gearbox apart ).

I honestly can't fault anything about it and not for want of trying. Superb engine and gearbox, handles really well, feels much lighter than it is and really easy to balance at super slow crawls in traffic.

Cant say the same of any GS I've ridden.

Back
Top Bottom