Dealers/service in Western Russia

Barley-Mow

Reaction score
Does anyone have details of any BMW dealerships, other bike dealerships or workshops in Veliky Novgorod or anywhere else between Moscow and Peterburg ?
It's a "just in case" enquiry. BMW Motorrad have a Russian website but on enquiry they couldn't help - which makes you wonder why they have a Russian website !

I'm only going to Novgorod for a few days then back so it's not a long expedition - hardly worth getting up for really !

russia.

the rac offer a breakdown service that covers west of the urals.
not a piss take on the gs reliability, but went that way ish on
my africa twin last year. also covered lithuania, latvia etc.

anything this side of Moscow is Europe... there a big dealership in Moscow and one in St. Petersburg a bloke called Mr. Bob runs/ controls'em both...

I might be able to find the details for them if I still have them, we dropped into one for coffee and treated like Royal's....

I dropped them both an email first to make sure they knew about us being about and to make sure someone spoke English.

Otherwise have the bike serviced before and don't worry about it...:thumb2 after all BMW's are unstoppable...:hide watch out for speed traps and claim to be stupid they'll leave you alone...otherwise have fun...:thumb2

Have a look over at the Hubb for Walter Colebatch's post where he has provided a load of Garmin POIs for Russia and beyond. It's updated regularly, I'm sure there is something in there...

just learn as many stock phrases as you can and then when they ask which they will "do you speak russian!", say yes... and let them have it...

after 40 minutes of getting nothing appart from

"hello, I'd like to buy a ticket to the theatre!"
"The City has changed since my last visit!"
"Does the room have a shower"
"I'd like a Beer and a Steak"
Could I buy some cigarettes?
"May I read that magazine"
"Isn't the city nice this time of year...."
"could you help my with my luggage!"

"that's wonderful!"

and best of all

"Are you a Police man? I've just been robbed, could you help me...? "

they'll get bored and ask you to leave.

Thanks for all that, most helpful. I'll be travelling on my 1996 1100RT now coming up to 90K miles (nicely run in sir !) but I always get it thoroughly serviced and new tyres etc before a long trip. It had a new clutch autumn 2010 but that's the only major work done so far.

I've been learning Russian since last August from a native speaker who's also a teacher. I hope I'll be able to pass muster - may get the grammar wrong though. I'm quite looking forward to having a chance to try it out. I hope they speak BBC Russian over there !

I'm a 66 year old English lawyer (someone's got to do it) but perhaps that's not something to shout about if I get pulled over. Perhaps the bald pate and grey hair will count for something. If not, it'll have to be a postcard from Siberia !

Back
Top Bottom