ZZR1400

cherokee

Reaction score
Hi guys anyone got any experience of the zzr1400 for touring,iv ridden one,a mates so i know all about the power etc,what id like to know if anyone here has lived with one twoup touring? Bar risers or not?long range comfort for pillion? so any views would be handy...mucho gras....

zzr 1400

Hi

Put bar risers on mine helped a lot used to get back ache, sorry cannot remember which ones,air hawk seat for long trips,flipping good bike but soooooo much power, had to get rid off to save my licence, but lovely bike, wife liked it on the back as well.

Dave:thumb

lo on to www.zx14r.co.uk for loads of info :thumb

I had one for 3 seasons, the basics:-

Early 06 / 07 models had really badly restricted low down power in 1st - 4th (think CG125) up to about 6,000 rpm, then the power comes in with a bang - truly horrible, can be fixed by removing secondary flies and remapping but allow £300 to do this if looking at an early model.

ABD optional on '07s but std '08 onwards (They also fixed the low down issue as evryone moaned about it and most owners worked around the restrictions anyway)

Bar risers help for comfort, as does taller screen (Genuine kwak one very good) and seat is rated excellent by some and crap by others (I had Tony Archer sort mine)

Front suspension ain't great, £250 for rework at MCT transforms the handling (don't get me wrong it ain't awful to begin with) and it feels 25kg lighter (more like a litre sportsbike) I know about 30 guys who have done this and they all rave about the handling post mods.

For two-up the rear shock will struggle, MCT can mod the OE unit for £100 ish (I think) I did this first then later fitted Ohlins. The moded shock was much better, but the remote pre-load of the Ohlins was a big bonus.

Givi V35's suit the bike well, but are a shade down on Vario capacity.

As sportsbikes go this is a good an all rounder as your likely to find Pillion comfort ain't bad but the seat is a bit thin, my Mrs was much happier post Tony Archer (an extra couple of inches of foam) - this mod also stopped her slipping into me and also gave us both a shade more leg-stretch.

Pre- Bar Risers I had a lot of wrist issues, but it was much better with risers, could still get a bit achy, especially at lower speeds (Alpine roads).

If you want a fast bike to tour on a well sorted ZZR is awesome, it is probably even better at shredding licences if you don't have a lot of restraint and anything less than 100mph feels positively slow so be careful.

Thanks fellas excellent info,really helped,the risers seem a must,spoke to a guy parked next to me on the chunnel he was going down to Italy and said they made a difference,iv read about fitting Buell footpegs which give you a tad more legroom,not sure what model the 're off though...

I am picking up a 09 zzr this week. I am trading my 08 gs in against it. I am a bit sad at the thoughts of selling gs but also looking forward to hopefully trouble free motoring. Happy new year all, and ride safe in 2013

Apart from heavily modified (Turbo) I have yet to hear of one go pop.

The tanks rust a bit under the seat where I guess water can sit, dry under here after washing and apply a smidge of ACF / WD40.

Faults are very rare, there are a loads of over 50k bikes out there and a couple past 100k I have heard of with no troubles.

For two up touring have a look at the 1400GTR version same basic engine but with variable valve timing and tuned for touring but still a 160mph+ rocket ship.

For two up touring have a look at the 1400GTR version same basic engine but with variable valve timing and tuned for touring but still a 160mph+ rocket ship.

My mate had one, did about 40k in 3 years, the basics are pretty bulletproof but the Keyless ignition played up a lot, sounded a bit like the GS antenna issues, sometimes it would just not recognise the keycard.

It is also a lot heavier (like 60KG Heaver) so the 1400 with panniers and top box fully loaded is still about 30kg lighter.

The ZZR really is a sportsbike, and the GTR most definately a tourer complete with Barn Door fairing, it also comes with panniers factory fitted.

My mate had one, did about 40k in 3 years, the basics are pretty bulletproof but the Keyless ignition played up a lot, sounded a bit like the GS antenna issues, sometimes it would just not recognise the keycard.

It is also a lot heavier (like 60KG Heaver) so the 1400 with panniers and top box fully loaded is still about 30kg lighter.

The ZZR really is a sportsbike, and the GTR most definately a tourer complete with Barn Door fairing, it also comes with panniers factory fitted.

Had one myself for a couple of years 07 to 09 but had no problems with the keyless ignition but mine had a fob with a slide out key and not a keycard still a great tourer

Kawasaki dont recommend top box and panniers on the ZZR as it can upset the handling

Awesome, but had to go as I need my licence. Only bike I've regretted selling. Top box and panniers on over 140ish the front end gets very light and the faster you go is starts lifting the front of the road. Great down the b500, fun around the 'ring. Sensible around town, comfortable and a great tourer.
Why did I sell it.

Touring???? on a sportsbike??????

Hi guys anyone got any experience of the zzr1400 for touring,iv ridden one,a mates so i know all about the power etc,what id like to know if anyone here has lived with one twoup touring? Bar risers or not?long range comfort for pillion? so any views would be handy...mucho gras....
On any sportsbike, your daily mileage is determined by how far you can go before the pain stops you. Remember, sportsbikes are not built for rider comfort. Yes, I know some people can cover 3/400 miles a day on them, but at what personal cost? If you are really wishing to go touring, buy a bike which will permit you to go long distances without pain - E.G. A sit up and beg riding position.
Myke

Don't listen to the oul geezers :D

As the ZZR is not a pure sports bike (think ZX10 for that) touring is well possible as is intercontinental blasting. I used to ride home for the N West200 and Ulster GP from Germany on a Busa and it was perfect for the job :cool:

Don't listen to the oul geezers :D

As the ZZR is not a pure sports bike (think ZX10 for that) touring is well possible as is intercontinental blasting. I used to ride home for the N West200 and Ulster GP from Germany on a Busa and it was perfect for the job :cool:

Great for covering mileage quickly and comfortably, left Germany in the morning 600 miles home. Got home had lunch watched football on tv shower and then off to the pub, no aches pains or tiredness.
That was on a 08, a friend had a 06 changed last year for an 11, then he test rode the new one. He reckons its even better just saving up the last few £ to change to it. Told me to test ride it but I know what will happen if I do, one GSa for sale.
Drayton Croft have a demo bike, downside of a lot of jap bikes. Not many demo bikes at dealers.

one of the best allround bikes you can buy,had 08 model for 2 years did 140000 miles on it,mainly weekends and a few tours,currently on latest 12 model and thats even better,fit bar risers and bubble or flip screen,had 2 rt1200s and 1150gs over last 10 years and i get less back ache on the z than either of those.you wont need breakdown cover either !

Picked mine up today. Got out on motorway on way home, all I can say is f*** me:eek. I never had a bike that would pull so hard in 5th and 6th. It picks up from 2k and clears off. It was a bit slippy today and the back kicked out twice so throttle control is a must. Or I could pull of in 2nd. Can't wait for summer!!:beer:

During practice at the tt this yr on the unlimited sections of the mountain my pal was regularly clockin 160 , two up! Turbine perfomance, his runs a power commander 2 and was dynoed at 183 bhp

Picked mine up today. Got out on motorway on way home, all I can say is f*** me:eek. I never had a bike that would pull so hard in 5th and 6th. It picks up from 2k and clears off. It was a bit slippy today and the back kicked out twice so throttle control is a must. Or I could pull of in 2nd. Can't wait for summer!!:beer:

Rosie and I played with a GTR1400 and the ZZR today....they both have traction control don't they? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom