2610 - Swapping cards / maps

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2610 I bought new which I have the unlock codes for somewhere and I recently picked up a used 2610 from on here recently as a back up with no codes. I have never used mapsource or connected my units to a PC because I run a Mac so I know little about unlock codes etc , never needed to . I have seen the posts about Garmin locker but bear with me a little please .

I have about 300 customer waypoints on my original unit that I have logged manually whilst onsite that has taken about 18mths to build up and I naively thought that I could just put that CF card into my back up unit and I'd have all the way points / mapping I needed, but the more experienced will know that it wont work.

IF I visit Garmin unlocker somehow etc etc for the back up unit will I then be able to swap the card from 1 unit to another OR will that never be a possibility and therefore I might as well take the spare unit out with me and build up the waypoints again. OR is there a way of copying all the waypoints/mapping data from the original CF card onto another , once I have sorted out unlock codes etc etc.

Please remember I have NO knowledge of mapsource, the maps on my CF card were loaded for me by my brother in law on his PC when I bought the unit 8 years ago.

Thanks....

Rushy, I think you will need to install Mapsource, connect your old unit and transfer all waypoints to the computer, then back to your new unit.

If you get stuck I could bring my laptop to the next pub meet and do it on that:thumb

Do you need to unlock the unit to just get the waypoints off?

I thought you only needed to unlock it to transfer maps. :nenau

Do you need to unlock the unit to just get the waypoints off?

I thought you only needed to unlock it to transfer maps. :nenau

Dunno.......are you saying I should be able to copy the waypoints off one set of maps and copy to another set of maps ....easy peasy?

Dunno.......are you saying I should be able to copy the waypoints off one set of maps and copy to another set of maps ....easy peasy?

No, I think I'm right in saying the maps go to the card all other data to the unit.

User created Waypoints should transfer to the 2nd GPS without issue, just be careful to not transfer any mapping from Mapsource that's unlocked to another 2610 as this will delete your valid mapping on the in question GPS and replace it with mapping that won't work.

That sounds like good news , buy can you elaborate on how I would transfer them :nenau

1/ Plug GPS with waypoints into PC
2/ Open Mapsource
3/ Use 'receive from device' in the transfer menu
4/ Select the Waypoints checkbox
5/ Click the 'receive' button to import the Waypoints into Mapsource. The Waypoints should now appear in the left pane under the waypoints tab and be displayed on the map
6/ Unplug 1st GPS and plug in 2nd GPS
7/ Select 'send to device' from the transfer menu
8/ Ensure that Waypoints checkbox is ticked, make doubly certain that Maps isn't checked
9/ Click the send button

That should do it.

EDIT: Pants... just noticed that you use a Mac... All I can suggest is that you find someone with a PC with Mapsource...

Back
Top Bottom