New Tyres, Wet Roads and Submarines...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
15th October

Once again, I sleep badly – I was in the UK for just long enough to get re-adjusted to UK time – getting over jet lag travelling west is always worse…:(

Never mind. I get up at around 0730 and start sorting out my luggage into the various bags. I took some stuff I’ll not be using again back to the UK with me, so I‘ve suddenly got plenty of room. I decide that it’s time to take my heated jacket and gloves out of the left hand “won’t need that for a bit” pannier and store the gloves in the tank bag, whilst wearing the jacket. By 0900 I’m packed and it’s time to raid the breakfast bar in the hotel foyer.

Eventually, at about 1100, I get kitted up and, with an eye for the threatening weather, put the waterproof cover on the tank bag, put my lightweight waterproof gloves on and head off towards Rob’s workshop. The boys are out and have a good look over the bike as I admire Greg’s holiday snaps. Unfortunately, Rob isn’t going to be able to join me (I suspect he’s used up a few ‘time off’ favours picking me up yesterday). I set off after extracting an assurance from Rob that he’ll not visit the UK without contacting me in advance so that I can return some of his hospitality.

What a nice chap…:thumb

I set off into the mild lunchtime weather. It’s not raining, but that could change at any time. I’m riding quite cautiously, not least because I’ve got brand new tyres to scrub in¹. I head east and north, through some semi-suburban housing and small farms. I can see the beginnings of the autumn colours that New England is famous for. Ignoring the threatening looking locals…

9895325-L.jpg

…I eventually find my way into the more rural parts of Long Island, where there are loads of small farm shops…

9895328-L.jpg

…some of which have huge pumpkins for sale…

9895330-L.jpg

…as well as these odd, rather disturbing looking gourds…

9895332-L.jpg

…and Chrysanthemums…

9895333-L-1.jpg

…which, with the apparent American need to abbreviate everything, are called ‘Mums’ here.

The area is also home to a large number of vineyards – unfortunately, as I’m riding, I’m unable to take advantage of the numerous ‘Free Tastings’ on offer.

I’m soon approaching the north eastern peninsula, as I head for the Orient Ferry. I stop for some Clam Chowder in Orient, at a little restaurant overlooking the marina…

9895345-L-1.jpg

…before buying my ticket ($22 – bargain!) on the Cross Sound Ferry…

9895349-L-1.jpg

…which sails at 1400. As we depart, I notice these buildings on Plum Island…

9895373-L.jpg

It’s an animal disease centre – if it sounds familiar, it may be that you remember Clarice Starling offering Hannibal Lecter an annual holiday there in return for his co-operation in Silence of the Lambs. Or perhaps I’m the only one sad enough to remember movie trivia from that long ago…:yelrotflm

The crossing lasts about 90 minutes, after which the ferry docks in New London. Just before arriving, I notice we pass an unusual looking dry dock…

9895396-L.jpg

…unusual in that has covers which can be fitted over it, to deter prying eyes in orbit from seeing what’s in dock. A little further along the river mouth, the cause of the secrecy is revealed…

9895398-L.jpg

…this dockyard serves Groton, the self-proclaimed ‘Submarine Capital of the World’.

After disembarking, I start heading north east through Connecticut, with no particular target in mind. I’m tired, but decide to press on, as I’m determined to get over the effects of jet lag as soon as possible. It feels good to be back in my own company, with just a road map and a tankful of fuel…

I ride into Rhode Island, the USA’s smallest state. It’s not so small that I’d like to pay for it to be carpeted or anything, it’s just that I’m used to things being ‘super-sized’ over here.

It’s a very pretty spot, though…

9895406-L-1.jpg

Soon it starts to rain – a soft, light drizzle – which turns riding the smooth roads, with their indiscriminate drifts of leaves, into an occasionally interesting experience. Even in the failing light (the overcast is now low and dusk seems to be approaching fast), the occasional red or orange leaved maple stands out as if equipped with some inner light…

9895407-L.jpg

Even this butterfly-like aging local²…

9895739-L-1.jpg

…can’t compete with nature in full swing.

The rain gets steadily heavier and, with the light fading as quickly as is my comprehension of the local adverts…

9895404-L.jpg

…I set course for the Hampton Inn at Franklin, Massachusetts, and settle in for the evening.

It’s good to be back on the road.

9896305-L.jpg

9895387-L-1.jpg

¹For the non motorcyclists – a new bike tyre has a layer of chemicals on it – some to prolong its shelf life, others to assist in removing it from its mould. Until these lubricants are ‘scrubbed’ off the tyre, it can behave very oddly, especially on wet roads. New tyres are generally fine after about 50 miles…

²Any guesses? EDIT - Correctly identified (by Sandgroper from ADVRider) as a 1960 Cadillac Sedan DeVille...

Back
Top Bottom