First impressions of Shoei XR1100

Freddie

Reaction score
Hi - I recently asked a question regarding Schuberth C3, Shoei Qwest or Neotec. Thanks to everyone who offered up some thoughts. After a lot of standing in shops with various lids on (always a great way to tell what riding with one on will feel like....not!), I eventually plumped for the Shoei XR1100 and thought a quick review might help others.

A reminder of my/bike dimensions (relevant to buffeting and noise levels).
I'm 6'3", ride a GSA 2010, OE screen raised high, have the touratech screen extender, seat high a the front, low at the back....

So - the Shoei. Usual quality fayre, lush colours and superb trim. Lovely all round. I bought 'last years' model (a symmetry) - saved £140 as a result (only £260), and figured since I'm 50, ride an angular contraption that only GSers could love, I really can live with the fashion-shame of being so out of trend.........and unless Gok Wan's brother is the paramedic on hand to treat me in an off, I can't imagine it'll affect safety....

I always ride with earplugs, but my original Aria Viper or older Shoei Raid were - to say the least - thunderous, whistly affairs. Either helmet tech has moved on massively (it has) or I've gone deaf (I've not) - but the difference is HUGE.

The XR is utterely buffet and whistle free up to about 85, and below 70 it is eerily quiet but still the gentle clatter of boxer rhythm and assocaited other road noise stops me nodding off. That was with all vents closed. With them open, there is no appreciable increase in noise - nor is there much airflow - so I must be sitting behind the screen/touratech combo in a blissful smooth flow pocket. If I stick my head up a bit, or to the side, theres a sudden and refreshing pile of cool air pouring in - so all it takes to get that chilled feeling is 5 seconds in the airstream.

It's also light, and has a great field of vision. No misting at all (pinlock) and straight away comfortable - no pressure points. That's over about 300 miles so far.

I know helmets and set-up are incredibly personal choices (including the whole desired level of volume/connection with the biking experience thing). For me, a stealth-like quietness helps me concentrate and enjoy, so this works brilliantly for me. Hope this helps.

I've got one too and think it's quality. Have you fitted the whisper kit? I had a lot of air coming up by my chin but since fitting the chin-curtain it's stopped it.

Back
Top Bottom