Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheffield IAM , first time nerves !

Sheffield IAM , first time nerves !

Feeling slightly nervous I enroled with the Sheffield IAM last week and I'll be goin out for the first time in the morning ,
    I think its an assessed ride to start with ??
    I'm really looking forward to it , but I really dont know what to expect as i was in a bit of a rush last week , Any of you advanced riders out there offer any advice ??

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
    Feeling slightly nervous I enroled with the Sheffield IAM last week and I'll be goin out for the first time in the morning ,
    I'm really looking forward to it , but I really dont know what to expect as i was in a bit of a rush last week , Any of you advanced riders out there offer any advice ??
    Enjoy, plenty of Sheffield iam'ers on here.
    Watch out for
    Yoda
    Magnet
    Harry the cat
    Ted s
    And others, I won't be there as I'm poorly
    Why PLAN when you can play it by BEER

get well soon norm

My experience up here is that they could not have been nicer. Just listen and enjoy.
    We should learn from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism. [/I]

Don't ride any differently to how you do normally. Ignore the fact that you have an observer behind you, ride for you and then listen and take onboard the feedback and then try and implement the changes they suggest. You will enjoy becoming safer and smoother.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hi Wishbone ... I'll be down there in the morning

They're a good bunch down at Sheffield, they'll bring you along gently but firmly and at your own pace so don't be worrying, you will enjoy ... "Zay av vayz and meanz"

Good to see you today Norm, you're looking better

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Any of you advanced riders out there offer any advice ??
    I suppose it depends on how you normally ride

No beeping or signs to the tin boxes who ruin your fave set of bends, or any other form of road rage etc. Just common sense really

I slowed down as I don't think they like you going over the speed limit (plus good practice for test where any speeding could get you a fail) and expect you to stick to 30's and 40's precisely (including as you get there, not rolling down to 30 a few hundred yards after the sign)

My observers took me to many back lanes which made riding at 50-60mph quite tolerable, I also don't think riding "as you normally do" is fair if you like to "bend the law a little" as I doubt your observer would want to get a ticket whilst trying to help you with your riding on an unpaid voluntary basis.

Learn the theory and application of roadcraft from them and then apply it to your "real world" riding - assuming it is any different from how you ride to pass the test.

Hi Wishbone, i'll be there in the morning, together with Harry the Cat.

What you riding?
    Life is short.
    And random.
    That's all you need to know...

It was good to meet up with you this morning Wishbone ... I gather you had a good day

I see that all posts by Rockchunk have been pulled ... it would be nice to have an apology from him

Adventure.GS

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Like others who will probably only be drawn here because of another thread, I now want to know what Rockchunk said

When something's gone, let it die of its own accord..... don't refer to it , or it just pops up again
    सत्यमेव जयते

A massive thanx to everyone down at sheffield IAM , all my nerves and apprehension soon disappeared , a great group of people that made me welcome straight away , I cant wait for next week !!

ps !!weeerz rockchunk ??????????????
    Last edited by wishbone; 15-04-12 at 16:13. Reason: none

A massive thanx to everyone down at sheffield IAM , all my nerves and apprehension soon disappeared , a great group of people that made me welcome straight away , I cant wait for next week !!
    oh !!!

Ditto

Yesterday was my first time too! Shame we didn't meet.

I totally agree with your comment. I was made very welcome, had a really enjoyable assessment ride and look forward to next week.

oh !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mediamark View Post
    Yesterday was my first time too! Shame we didn't meet.

I totally agree with your comment. I was made very welcome, had a really enjoyable assessment ride and look forward to next week.
    Thanks for posting you two

Thought you might have been scared off Wishbone

Adventure.GS

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Thanks for posting you two
    I saw you Mick but didn't have time to say hello before we set off.

I'll be down to see you on Saturday for some Earplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mediamark View Post
    I saw you Mick but didn't have time to say hello before we set off.

I'll be down to see you on Saturday for some Earplugs.
    Introduce yersen .... 10% discount for subscribed Tossers

Adventure.GS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast