Sheffield IAM , first time nerves !

There's probably a dozen places I could post this, but this thread is probably the best place methinks ...

Congratulations to Magnet on not only passing her IAM 'Masters', but passing it with a 'Distinction' :thumb

Well done Fran, it's always a pleasure to ride with you :kisses

:beerjug:

Discreet as always:blast

Holmfirth, not Holmesfield :blast:blast

On arrival at their meeting place I agreed to endure Les's slow cone obstacle course, made all the worse by the feeling that everyone was watching me, although they probably weren't. Went out for my initial assessment taking in Holme Moss, which went well. My assessor then set up comms and rode up front for a while giving commentary about his observations which I found very useful. Will be going back next Saturday.

i just been out with andy firth for an assessment relay enjoyed it. and the amount of info he gave me on my riding style was grate. ill be joining next satday might see you there

i just been out with andy firth for an assessment relay enjoyed it. and the amount of info he gave me on my riding style was grate. ill be joining next satday might see you there

Sadly I can't get to their Saturday meets due to work. I didn't renew my subs for this reason so not sure if I would be able to attend anyway. Say hello from me (Steve) to Les and my observer Michael Forster for me.

No one in the group even knows i've taken it yet! They might do now though...:D

Discreet as always:blast

You're too humble to tell anyone Fran ... the world should know. You were never going to keep it a secret about one helluva achievement.

If its caused you any embarrassment then I apologise :D

I'll be there in the morning, unless the snow settles :eek:

No embarrassment Micky, don't worry. But you can buy me a drink anyway!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words :)

Yes well done Fran.......... brilliant achievement :thumby:
I'll buy you a drink or two in Scotland.
Malc

No embarrassment Micky, don't worry. But you can buy me a drink anyway!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words :)

That Ma'am will be my pleasure :thumb

Yes well done Fran.......... brilliant achievement :thumby:
I'll buy you a drink or two in Scotland.
Malc

Well you don't expect Fran to be rushing to the bar to get a drink in, now d'ya :D

id love to do the iam course but have a problem my pillion passenger would love to come as well always a second pair of eyes for me seeing as 90% of the time we ride together cant she come on the test runs but not the test?

I suggest that you have a word with your local IAM group. I posed your question on our local IAM forum and this reply came back.

In theory no reason why not, but I would expect that the second person will be a distraction when you are trying to assist the associate to get the necessary skills.

You could compromise by including runs with the pillion towards the end of the programme, once the associate is demonstrating adequate competence when solo.
Perhaps the pillion also needs instruction on how to behave on a motorbike (movement, positioning, weight transferrence etc), but is not taking it from the rider.

The manuals cover the additional skills necessary when carrying a pillion.

id love to do the iam course but have a problem my pillion passenger would love to come as well always a second pair of eyes for me seeing as 90% of the time we ride together cant she come on the test runs but not the test?

Man up and leave her at home, have a morning on the bike without her, you might enjoy it.

IAM doesn't allow training with a pillion on board. Insurance reasons.

IAM doesn't allow training with a pillion on board. Insurance reasons.

not so,the IAM does not insure anyone on an observed ride you are dependent on your own insurence,in fact a verbal disclaimer is used before every ride with an asscociate at my group

It could be argued that the pillion should travel on the observers bike so that the observer is able to directly assess just how good a pillion rider they are.

not so,the IAM does not insure anyone on an observed ride you are dependent on your own insurence,in fact a verbal disclaimer is used before every ride with an asscociate at my group

Right to an extent. This is what the IAM says about it:

'From IAM Insurance FAQ:
Is it in order for an associate to take a pillion passenger on an observed run?

A. From a legal point of view it is the rider’s responsibility to make sure that they are insured to carry pillions. Many insurance companies automatically assume you will not carry a pillion and you need to advise them if you intend to do so. this will not be shown on the certificate of insurance but on the schedule.
In relation to the Associate actually undertaking an observed run whilst carrying a pillion, it is not one IAM recommend, as the machine will handle differently and it may be difficult for the Observer to see what the Associate is actually doing. The test would not be conducted by the Examiner with a pillion unless medical conditions required it. In the past it is known that a deaf rider had a pillion who was commed up to the observer to receive the route and tapped the rider on the shoulder with turning instructions
It really is a decision for the committee to make as it the riders responsibility to look after the pillion, and the Group Observer would still be covered. '

The issue has arisen before with our group and the decision has been no. Once qualified members can bring pillions on ride outs and to social events.

Other groups obviously treat the matter differently. Personally I wouldn't want the distraction of a third party in the process and I struggle with how the observer gets a full picture of what the associate is doing. The associates movements (body, head, shoulder checks) can tell you a lot about he or she rides.

Is a verbal disclaimer a 'get out of jail' card if there's a prang and it turns out the pillion isn't covered? I'm not sure.

The disclaimer is read out to every associate before every ride, that's standard IAM practice, nothing to do with having a pillion. I for one as a N.0. would not take an associate who has a pillion, out.

The disclaimer is read out to every associate before every ride, that's standard IAM practice, nothing to do with having a pillion. I for one as a N.0. would not take an associate who has a pillion, out.

There's a written disclaimer these days issued to new associates. No need to bore them to death by telling them every time. I'm with you on your second point tho'.

Back
Top Bottom