Fuel gauge reading full

Spike

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok filled bike to the brim and been around Guernsye about...... ok lost count lol, anyways the fuel gauge on the bike is reading 2 bars from the top, it has done this for the last 100 miles or so, trouble is I set the trip and it is now reading 224 miles but the bars are still the same, ran throught the computer and it says I have 286 miles left, so unless I am the only GSA owner that can get over 500 miles to tank full I think there is something wrong.

Any ideas???

Spike

P.S It doesnot bother me too much as I am used to just reading the miles no the bars on the controle panel anyway.

Try adding something like Redex, Wynns Dryfuel or Silkolene ProFST to the fuel and see if it fixes it (or not).

ISTR someone stated even the slightest bit of water in fuel can cock up the fuel senders, maybe a bit of rainwater has got in through the filler neck whilst refuelling? A fuel additive may clear it, it certainly wont do any harm and may even clean your fuel system to boot.

Have always found fuel gauge and range readings to be fairly unreliable.
I do the same as you and use the bars as a guide and dont take too much notice of the range reading.

Spike
My 10 plate DOHC GSA did that a couple of weeks back. Filled it to the brim and usually it goes to about 430 miles on the range and starts counting down quite accurate. This time however it went to 469 and started to count up WTF !. I know as bikes and cars get a few miles on they get a little more fuel efficient but this was strange. Anyway it was booked in for a service at Jeffries and they said they would look at it, when I picked it up they said it looked fine but uploaded some new software anyway. When I left Jeffries the gauge and range said I needed fuel (but the tank according to my calculations should have been half full) so I pulled into a garage and filled up, it took £23 which at todays rate is about half full. I got a drink and left the ignition on for a while and gave it a chance to settle and it seemed to work ok but the range still went to 469 ish then started counting down. So it's increased by 30 miles is. This may not help you but it's the first query i've had on my GSA since I bought it last year.

What's the average miles I should get out of a gs tank, I know it depends on how you ride it but just an average would be good, going to start using trip counter just in case fuel gauge goes wrong.

What's the average miles I should get out of a gs tank, I know it depends on how you ride it but just an average would be good, going to start using trip counter just in case fuel gauge goes wrong.

A reasonably good rough rule of thumb for any bike is 10 miles per litre.

You know the bike's tank capacity in litres (its in the owner's handbook) multiply that number by 10.

If you get in the (dull) habit of recording the mileage and at the amount of fuel inserted at each fuel stop you will be able to get the exact miles per litre and work it out to some boringly reliable number.

Spike
My 10 plate DOHC GSA did that a couple of weeks back. Filled it to the brim and usually it goes to about 430 miles on the range and starts counting down quite accurate. This time however it went to 469 and started to count up WTF !. I know as bikes and cars get a few miles on they get a little more fuel efficient but this was strange. Anyway it was booked in for a service at Jeffries and they said they would look at it, when I picked it up they said it looked fine but uploaded some new software anyway. When I left Jeffries the gauge and range said I needed fuel (but the tank according to my calculations should have been half full) so I pulled into a garage and filled up, it took £23 which at todays rate is about half full. I got a drink and left the ignition on for a while and gave it a chance to settle and it seemed to work ok but the range still went to 469 ish then started counting down. So it's increased by 30 miles is. This may not help you but it's the first query i've had on my GSA since I bought it last year.

430 miles, :eek: is this a wind up or do you have a 43 litre tank

The most i ever got out of my 2010 GSA was 310 miles and it took 33.9 litrs to top it up. :blast

Only thing I can suggest is to take it off the back of the recovery truck:D

:hide
...........sorry

Ha ha ha!!! asked this question so it does NOT get on the back in the first place ha ha!!!!

Try adding something like Redex, Wynns Dryfuel or Silkolene ProFST to the fuel and see if it fixes it (or not).

ISTR someone stated even the slightest bit of water in fuel can cock up the fuel senders, maybe a bit of rainwater has got in through the filler neck whilst refuelling? A fuel additive may clear it, it certainly wont do any harm and may even clean your fuel system to boot.

Will try this as it could just need a bit of lube so to speak as it has been a while since it was fully full.
spike

Never say never but I doubt this is the case. Any water in the fuel would sit at the lowest point in the tank so unless it has a lot of water in the fuel it wont be anywhere near the strip.
Best way to get rid of water in the tank is to run the fuel down and bung some acetone in the tank, swill it around then fill the tank with fuel. Water mixes with acetone which then mixes with the fuel and burns off normally. Don't run the engine on the acetone though so you will need fuel at hand when you do it. Oh I should also add, don't do this in the kitchen either especially with the cooker on or near any other sources of ignition for that matter ;-)
Sounds like the usual knackered fuel strip to me though. Look on the bright side, at least it isn't showing empty and flashing all the warnings at you.

Spike

Also my 10 plate DOHC GSA done the same thing last year .... On a roasting hot day i filled up from nearly empty .. £35ish ... set off and instead of the range jumping straight to the maximum reading it just started creeping up by 1 mile at a time .... after 3 hrs of riding my range was past 500 miles !!! ....
Got back home turned everything off and next time i set out re-set all the possible trips / mpg's which i could and everything then seemed fine ....

I did report it to the dealer who said something along the lines of "it might be something to do with moisture in the air because the fuel range is fed by various sensors on the bike and if one was reading incorrectly it would give a false reading"

I thought he was spinning me a load of:spank ..... but it hasn't done it since and that was over 5k ago / 6 months ago ...

Back
Top Bottom