Picos d' Europe

(RIP) Mark Dilloway

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Many of you guys have done these mountains. How many days should I allow to thoroughly do the roads and see the sights. I am going at the beginning of May via the Pyrenees (I've done the ferry before by car twice).

I am currently thinking of spending 2 days there before staying near Catalyud and then going on down to Granada. I have managed to make a booking at the Parador de San Francisco, Alhambra.

There are so many lovely villages and roads I don't feel like rushing it all!

Any hotel recommendations for the Picos?

Thanks guys.

Could try the Paradors at Fuente De, Cangas de Onis, Santilliana, Cervera de Pisguera. Stayed in them all, and the pick would be Santilliana which is in easy reach of the Picos.

The website is I believe www.parador.es.

The one I've stayed in twice is the big stone one on the left as you enter Ojedo - 1.5km from Potes (the heart of the Picos).
It's called the Infantado-opp. the BP Petrol station and Trials bike shop . Costs about £14ppn B&B and is in the Brittany Ferries Brochure.

If you stay at Fuente de, there are two GSable tracks leading out. The first is a continuation of the road up to Fuente de and goes to Puerto de Pandetrave, which is the high point on the road that runs south east out of Posada de Valdeon. The other goes north out of Espinama and runs to Sotres. You can also ride up to the view point over Fuente de (the one that the cable car goes to) if you take a slight diversion of this track.
I suggest that you buy the "Miguel A. Adrados" "Mapa excursionista con 48 itinerarios pedestres" 1:80000 scale. Available from the book shop in Potes. ALL the white roads are legal. I've riden all of them on my 100GS. Some are quite tricky if you're a novice off road. The two described are suitable for a novice.
Have fun.

If you're going back via Bilbao or that area I suggest www.casazalama.com About 60 k SW of Bilbao.

Spanish woman who speaks good English, and her English partner own it so language isn't a problem. Reasonably cheap. 40 euros an en-suite room and 10 euros (I think) for a superb evening meal.

From Fuente De/Potes if you take the N621 to Boca de Huergano (over the Mirador de Llesba) theres a nice hotel there. From there you can go through Rianno and turn right onto the N625 and do the circular route through the valley of Valdeon..breathtakingly beautifull

Potes

The guy who runs the mobile bar in the main square is called Jesus

The hotel opposite is like Fawlty Towers in reverse, I left rent money and keys with the restaurant next door as the landlord was still in bed with a hangover and the landlady!

Back
Top Bottom