Road Ride

mr badger

Reaction score
OK. Initial plan for the road ride.

About 160 miles max. Rolling time 4 hrs or so. The final distance and route will depend on the weather and what folk fancy doing.

Back by 17.00 latest.

Mostly on B and C roads. Plenty of stops.

The idea is to give you a quick tour of North Norfolk.

Gather at 10.00 am on the camp site.

• Skirt Norwich and head through South Walsham and Acle.
  • Through the Broads and up to Horsey Mill for a coffee. If it's crap weather, we'll stop at Waxham Barn instead. About 1 hour from start
  • Westwards to have a quick stop at Happisburgh to see the coastal erosion.
  • On to Wells-next-the-Sea for fish and chips or a sandwich. Excellent coffee here and there's a big seafood stall.
  • Short detour to The Real Ale Shop. 50 Norfolk beers usually available.
  • On through Burnham Thorpe (birthplace of Nelson), stopping for a quick gaze at the view over Holkham Hall
  • Visit to Holme Beach, possibly one of the very best in England and the place where 'Woodhenge' was discovered.
  • Stop at Creake Abbey for a cuppa and back to the Angel via some nice wiggly roads.
If anyone fancies visiting anywhere else, I'm happy to vary the route. If you want to buy and crabs or other local delicacies like Samphire, I know places en-route.

Maximum 8 folk inc me as we'll have to use the drop off system in any case. I'm not worried if there are only 3 of us. There are about a hundred junctions on the route as we will be travelling cross country.

Norfolk lanes are narrow, have poor views and are sometimes covered in gravel and sand. We also have a huge number of superfluous 4x4 vehicles driven by dippy folk out for the weekend visiting their second cottages so there won't be many chances to run fast, just a nice regular pace.

6969959080_62c14d2948.jpg

Horsey%20Mill%20Header.jpg

568281803.jpg

7116038609_a963298f2b.jpg

6970019146_c019b3c857.jpg

Can you add Gail and I to the road ride list please.

Suppose I'd better send you some dosh then :p

Norfolk Tiger too so we're getting there.

If we have too many, I'll see if I can sort another group to do a Suffolk run maybe.

"French's" chip shop is the best one in Wells. It's opposite the quayside carpark (Not a council run carpark so bikes get charged).

The North Norfolk District Council run carpark is just to the west of the quayside car park, next to the Ark Royal pub. Motorbikes can park for FREE there.

There's also a cider factory at the car park www.whinhillcider.co.uk :jager:jager

http://www.northnorfolk.org/streets/450.asp

"Motorcycle bays are provided in some NNDC car parks. Where not provided motorcyclists are required to park considerately and safely.
No charge is made for motor cycle parking."

"French's" chip shop is the best one in Wells. It's opposite the quayside carpark (Not a council run carpark so bikes get charged).

The North Norfolk District Council run carpark is just to the west of the quayside car park, next to the Ark Royal pub. Motorbikes can park for FREE there.

There's also a cider factory at the car park www.whinhillcider.co.uk :jager:jager

http://www.northnorfolk.org/streets/450.asp

"Motorcycle bays are provided in some NNDC car parks. Where not provided motorcyclists are required to park considerately and safely.
No charge is made for motor cycle parking."

Not wishing to start a big debate, but there are free m/c bays at the Quayside. Been parking there for years. You go through the mail car park and towards the harbour office. They're on the left.

Whinhill looks good!

Not wishing to start a big debate, but there are free m/c bays at the Quayside. Been parking there for years. You go through the mail car park and towards the harbour office. They're on the left.

Whinhill looks good!

I stand corrected. Last time I parked there, I was charged. Maybe things have changed.

Anyhow, NNDC carparks are ALL free for bikes.

road ride

I would like to come on this dident know there was a list
Dave GS

On the approach to Horsey Mill if you manage a ton on the whoops you CAN get a GS 2 up airborne :thumb2

I live about 6 miles away :D

Badger

Just for your info on your proposed route as you leave Winterton towards Somerton there is a sharp right then left which is tree covered and called Dark Lane.......... due to the lotsa rain there has been loads of sediment washed down from the bankings that has settled in the road and may catch out the unwary if you turn into the dark area from sunlight ............. its dead centre of the lane and right after the apex of the corner ;)

It tends to get left for quite a while after each rainpour and was fairly thick last 2-3 times i have been along in the last 3 weeks

BadgersrouteforBoxerbeet.jpg

Badger

Just for your info on your proposed route as you leave Winterton towards Somerton there is a sharp right then left which is tree covered and called Dark Lane.......... due to the lotsa rain there has been loads of sediment washed down from the bankings that has settled in the road and may catch out the unwary if you turn into the dark area from sunlight ............. its dead centre of the lane and right after the apex of the corner ;)

It tends to get left for quite a while after each rainpour and was fairly thick last 2-3 times i have been along in the last 3 weeks

BadgersrouteforBoxerbeet.jpg

Should be easy to find, its surrounded by a bright red wall or fence :blast

Back
Top Bottom