macbook help outgoing server offline ?

corsicandreamer

I,d rather be ski-ing
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following the great response to my earlier plea for help with photos :bow i cannot get mail to work ? I can access all accounts directly but not using " mail "

Pop-mail working fine in the UK. 3 accounts

Here in La belle France my outgoing server is offline and mail cannot send my messages not on either AOL, Virgin, or Orange.fr who is my i.p. here.

I cannot seem to find a way to turn it on even trawling various help forums

Can anyone shed some light and preserve what little hair i have left please :comfort

Any clue from the Window>Connection doctor pane?

Are you in a hotel or somewhere that might block the ports in use?

Most SMTP servers (outgoing mail servers) are "locked" to prevent spam/misuse.

I mean:
You can use O2's smtp server only if you are connected via an O2 connection.

Solution:
use your carrier's smtp server while you are in France, or use authentication on your uk smtp server (most of them allow it).

update: sorry, just noticed now that you have problems with orange.fr
I would try atuhentication straight away and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for getting back to me, Ian F I am at home using my own orange.fr ip. and connection doc. shows connection established but outgoing server "offline"

er-mino i am not quite sure how to go about authentication ? i have the same password as i use for logging on to pickup my e-mails from outside the usual server. Orange require passwords for connection to the internet and entry to your emails. :nenau

- Mail > Preferences

- in the Preferences window, select "Accounts"

- Outgoing Mail Server drop down menu: choose "edit server list"

- select the server you want to try to use authentication with, click "advanced" and insert your data (same log and pass you normally use to retrieve the mail).

There might be additional settings (different ports, etc) but just try with
Authentication: Password and your login details first.

Thanks again er-mino but no change and following a protracted exchange with orange assistance they inform me that it is outside of their remit and not their problem :blast

Are you using secured smtp? I googled the settings for orange france and they should be:-

ORANGE

POP Server: pop.orange.fr
SMTP Server : smtp.orange.fr
SMTP Server (secured) : smtp-msa.orange.fr Port : 587 (smtp authentification)
IMAP Server : imap.orange.fr

Maybe they have turned off the old smtp server. Try the secure one on port 587 with your orange credentials?

Back
Top Bottom