Remap by Hilltop Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm - I still don't buy it. The post remap claimed peak power of approx 105 sounds about right but I don't believe a standard twin cam only produces 80 at the wheel.

I reckon the standard power would be closer to 100. 5 to 10% increase in peak power sounds about right to me.

Has anyone experienced a 30% measured increase in power having fitted a power commander - if it's possible with a remap surely the gains would be similar :nenau

You might say this is irrelevant and the bike feels better but the measured gains are important and will persuade many to go ahead with this remap imo.

do you have a power commander ???????
ok it is this simple come and see me and i will re map your bike for you to try it ,if you don't like it i will put it back to a factory standard state and you dont pay me :bow

ps and a power commander will only do fuel in a fashion pmsl:JB

Hi there no I haven't done anything to my twin-cam because the performance is pretty good out of the box. I have chipped previous GSs with relatively small improvements that are still no match for the current model.

If your remap releases HP2 power I'm definitely interested. If it gives a marginal improvement (say 5%) I'd rather not bother as I'm pretty happy as it stands.

If its the former ill book when I get back from Spain in a couple of weeks. Can you confirm this remap really results in a 25-30% increase ? I guess if there's a restriction in the GS engine that's possible - sorry for appearing doubtful but its based on past experience with other bikes.

Thnks, Mike

Sounds a bit low but I am not surprised. On a chain drive, a 110HP motor would be around 95 at the wheel with losses. There are more losses with a shaft drive. How Hilltop can map 130 or so out of the motor is also surprising, unless BMW have deliberately electronically strangled the engine for some reason. It could be that they fitted the HP2 motor and reduced power electronically, and the Hilltop map lets it back out. :nenau

Hang on doesn't the HP2 have a much higher rev limit - Wapping don't you have one - can you confirm ?

Hang on doesn't the HP2 have a much higher rev limit - Wapping don't you have one - can you confirm ?

Its 9500rpm.

Having just picked up a HP2 Sport I'm thinking about a Hilltop map or Power commander as all the reports suggest the HP runs a tad lean. Once run in I might take a wander up to Geoffs.. :)

Stu

Hi there no I haven't done anything to my twin-cam because the performance is pretty good out of the box. I have chipped previous GSs with relatively small improvements that are still no match for the current model.

If your remap releases HP2 power I'm definitely interested. If it gives a marginal improvement (say 5%) I'd rather not bother as I'm pretty happy as it stands.

If its the former ill book when I get back from Spain in a couple of weeks. Can you confirm this remap really results in a 25-30% increase ? I guess if there's a restriction in the GS engine that's possible - sorry for appearing doubtful but its based on past experience with other bikes.

Thnks, Mike

i never quote % but i can guarantee to put a smile on your face when you ride your bike after i remap it:clap

well i must do sum work now i have 3 bsb's to do so see you soon have a good one

I'd be really keen - not from the power point-of-view, but to ensure the longevity of my DOHC if the A/F can be set to 13.2:1 or similar.

My first port of call would be to ensure that the engine does not run so lean and hot - as there's a good chance this bike will be my last BMW and has to last if I take it back home with me!
Riding in temperatures of 30deg C plus on low octane fuel really puts massive strain on a lean-running engine!

I really don't think you'd have a problem if you keep it standard. I know they run on the lean side but I think that's quite common these days. As long as you don't pin the throttle for hours on end I suspect it will run fine.

I once burnt a valve on a GS that had been set up on a dyno and supposedly ran optimally - sometimes its best to leave well alone but I guess at the end of the day it's your money...

will go away now :comfort

Was 82bhp and 70 torques.
Now 104bhp and 83 torque.*
Bloody hell.
Need to ride home.

More later.

I really don't think you'd have a problem if you keep it standard. I know they run on the lean side but I think that's quite common these days. As long as you don't pin the throttle for hours on end I suspect it will run fine.

I once burnt a valve on a GS that had been set up on a dyno and supposedly ran optimally - sometimes its best to leave well alone but I guess at the end of the day it's your money...

will go away now :comfort

13 GS's blew their engines in South Africa......... all running too lean!

Some of the technical riding I've done was so slow and hot (temp was around 45-47deg C) that the bike overheated (riding in 1st gear - enduro) and we had to stop to allow it to cool. Sounded like a whole bunch of convicts with steel hammers trying to escape from it :blast

85% of the riding we do is "hot & high" on dirt and in mountains ..... preventative measures would seem logical as I do not have any hope of my GSA lasting 20 years or as long as the older bikes...(we have a R75/5 that still runs as schweet as if she was new)

Brill

Ive read this thread with great interest since it started. The prospect of plenty of extra power and torque for a relatively small outlay is very tempting.

But, is it too good to be true?
Will my bike go POP on the Dyno or on the way home?
Will BMW read the ECU and tell me to go*%($£) if something goes wrong?

Anyway, mine is a 2008 GS12, that's done 24,000 miles.

Today I visited Geoff and suffered the mental torture at the prospect of it going on to the dyno and then the first run up to the redline, screaming away. I screamed inside.

The base line was 82bhp and 70 torques. Both curves zig zagged wildly with little smoothness. The fuel air ratio was roundabout 19, which is way off the ideal.

Geoff then wiped the standard map off and installed some black magic and started screaming to the redline again.

With his tinkering the end result was 104bhp and 83 torques.

The journey home was mainly M1, with a few proper miles at both ends.
Wow.
It's now soooo smoooth.
It feels fitter in everygear and shoots forward.
Roll ons are better.
There's virtually no delay in turning the throttle to feeling the acceleration.
I am impressed.

Going down the MPG was 49, coming back at a higher speed it was 52.

I've had a test on the Crosstourer and loved the engine but not the rest of it.

With my "new" engine, I have no reason to change bikes.

Thanks Geoff.

Ive read this thread with great interest since it started. The prospect of plenty of extra power and torque for a relatively small outlay is very tempting.

But, is it too good to be true?
Will my bike go POP on the Dyno or on the way home?
Will BMW read the ECU and tell me to go*%($£) if something goes wrong?

Anyway, mine is a 2008 GS12, that's done 24,000 miles.

Today I visited Geoff and suffered the mental torture at the prospect of it going on to the dyno and then the first run up to the redline, screaming away. I screamed inside.

The base line was 82bhp and 70 torques. Both curves zig zagged wildly with little smoothness. The fuel air ratio was roundabout 19, which is way off the ideal.

Geoff then wiped the standard map off and installed some black magic and started screaming to the redline again.

With his tinkering the end result was 104bhp and 83 torques.

The journey home was mainly M1, with a few proper miles at both ends.
Wow.
It's now soooo smoooth.
It feels fitter in everygear and shoots forward.
Roll ons are better.
There's virtually no delay in turning the throttle to feeling the acceleration.
I am impressed.

Going down the MPG was 49, coming back at a higher speed it was 52.

I've had a test on the Crosstourer and loved the engine but not the rest of it.

With my "new" engine, I have no reason to change bikes.

Thanks Geoff.

Well done, just how I felt after a visit to Geoff. I have now done 2,500km since I had the re-map and its just Soooo much crisper on the throttle with more power & torque almost every ware. Geoff is THE Man in my option.

i never quote % but i can guarantee to put a smile on your face when you ride your bike after i remap it:clap

well i must do sum work now i have 3 bsb's to do so see you soon have a good one

The gains that are being quoted for the GS are awsome!
Question----------- Can this re-map be done by anyone in Melbourne?

The gains that are being quoted for the GS are awsome!
Question----------- Can this re-map be done by anyone in Melbourne?

A First Class return ticket for Geoff and his laptop and access to a local Dyno should do it !! He may even give you a discount if it keeps raining in England :)

Quote "Going down the MPG was 49, coming back at a higher speed it was 52."

This all sounds great and I.ve had dyno work done on a Moto Guzzi V11 before with similar results re smoothness etc, but I'm a bit sceptical about fuel consumption improving. You have to burn fuel to get more power ?????????

Quote "Going down the MPG was 49, coming back at a higher speed it was 52."

This all sounds great and I.ve had dyno work done on a Moto Guzzi V11 before with similar results re smoothness etc, but I'm a bit sceptical about fuel consumption improving. You have to burn fuel to get more power ?????????

You have less throttle input to get the same speed, so less fuel used for the same outcome.

A First Class return ticket for Geoff and his laptop and access to a local Dyno should do it !! He may even give you a discount if it keeps raining in England :)

Methinks this is a great idea - Geoff - we can arrange similar deal for a trip to Cape Town, South Africa - maybe throw in a Safari or two....? :thumb

Serious questions:
How can some bloke in a garage improve on what BMW sell you for about £13k?
Why if it is this easy to improve the bike don't the top designers and engineers at BMW do it in the factory?
Don't you think that the bike you spend £13k on should be as good as it can be when you have it delivered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom